20 ga buckshot

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anyone using it with any success? I have patterned #2 and #3 buck in a fixed modified choke and two fixed full choke guns and wasn't impressed at 25 yards (20 yards was ok). Thinking about trying a turkey choke in my newly choke tube threaded single shot. If I can decent patterns at 30 yards I'd be happy. Thoughts??

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
I ordered a 25 round of Rio 20 ga 2 3/4 inch #1 for my daughter to dog hunt with. Shot it through a modified youth Remington 870. At 35 yards it shoots as good as my 12. It only has 9 pellets, but i will take 9 in a good pattern any day. I ordered it through SGA ammo in oklahoma i think was the name of it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not sure why you want to hunt deer with a 20 gauge? There are so many better options. If its for a young one this is what I would go with. <iframe width="665" height="374" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not sure why you want to hunt deer with a 20 gauge? There are so many better options. If its for a young one this is what I would go with. <iframe width="665" height="374" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well one reason, I always wanted to shoot a deer with this gun. One stand a max shot is 30-40 yards so why not the 20 ga. Rifle and shotgun choices are not a problem this is just a want. Plan on tryin* slugs in it too.

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
Well one reason, I always wanted to shoot a deer with this gun. One stand a max shot is 30-40 yards so why not the 20 ga. Rifle and shotgun choices are not a problem this is just a want. Plan on tryin* slugs in it too.
Get you some federal tru ball slugs and the improved cyl. They are cheap and accurate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

klim

Twelve Pointer

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Finally got around to shooting this gun. I tried a ported extra full turkey choke and Winchester #3 buckshot. Impressive patterns at 30 yards.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Improved cylinder I fell works best in my 870 20 gauge. Thats shooting buckshot and slugs.
me too!....at least with lead. When soft lead gets compressed and forced thru a tight choke, deformed flats form on each pellet, so during flight, when they spin a bit, and the flat part hits the air, it causes that pellet to veer. Makes it hard to control buckshot, sadly, once it leaves the barrel.
Copper plated shot does not do it though...Hevi-shot deforms less than lead too.
When this ballistic info came out a few decades ago, we didn't have copper plated shot.