2-Row Planter

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had this delivered this week. Good 2-row planters are hard to find! Everything I could find around here is rusted junk or antiques. I've been looking for a year or two, and finally decided to get one from out of state and have it shipped. Found a couple different places that were building 2-row planters out of JD 7100/7300 row units. The best/most affordable was a guy out of Indiana who buys bigger planters, takes off the row units, and rebuilds them. He offers them in a few different varieties with and without fertilizer boxes, no till coulters, completely or partially rebuilt.

This one is JD 7100 units, partially rebuilt without the fertilizer option, but does have new openers and precision meters on it for planting sunflowers and sweet corn. Now I've just got to figure out how to change the settings. That part is new to me. Going to plant a mix of corn and sunflowers for the doves. I'm hoping it will get more consistent results than the way I've been planting them. Might try a little corn at the deer property too. Surprisingly, it was only $150 to have it shipped.

IMG_3498.jpgIMG_3499.jpg

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Nice planter....just be sure to drop the corn seed real close together...like just few inches that way will have lot more corn. Look at some of the fields the corn farmers planting you will get an idea.

slickheadslayer

Six Pointer
I was in the same boat you were a couple years ago. After looking for a while around here I got tired looking at either junk or over priced planters. Ender up driving to Kentucky/Illinois line to pick one up.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Damn I think I just fell in love!!!!!

How much does it weigh? I’d love to have a 2 row no till but I’m not sure I have enough tractor to pick it up.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I believe it's between 6-700 pounds. I think no-till coulters can be added without adding too much weight, but I'm not sure how much weight you would need to make them work. I considered dry fertilizer boxes in front, but that actually adds a lot of weight. The frame has to be longer, then by the time you fill it with fertilizer, it's twice as heavy, I believe.

I was in the same boat you were a couple years ago. After looking for a while around here I got tired looking at either junk or over priced planters. Ender up driving to Kentucky/Illinois line to pick one up.

What/how much have you planted with it? Got any tips?

slickheadslayer

Six Pointer
I believe it's between 6-700 pounds. I think no-till coulters can be added without adding too much weight, but I'm not sure how much weight you would need to make them work. I considered dry fertilizer boxes in front, but that actually adds a lot of weight. The frame has to be longer, then by the time you fill it with fertilizer, it's twice as heavy, I believe.

What/how much have you planted with it? Got any tips?
I have planted probably 20 acres worth with mine. I actually have a John Deere 71 though. Planted corn, sunflowers, soybeans, and peas so far.

I am not to familiar with your model but, I know once I got mine set and understood it's limitations I can plant a tad over 2 acres an hour.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Biggs Farm Equipment. They have a website, but most of their info is on their Facebook page.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I bought a JD 71 that had been completely redone about 2 years ago and best money ive spent for my land. Also came with extra plates for all kinds of grain including sunflowers.

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been looking for on also and have about given up. I did run across a good deal on a 6 foot rototiller this summer. I have had good success just discing up a field and sowing soybeans from a spreader and then running the disc back over the field. I've got a lot of empty land I can plant at least this upcoming year. The landowner has a large drill, that needs some TLC, I may try to see what it needs to get it moving. That is a nice drill, you did the right thing. I ran into the same thing, All I found to is rusty junk locally.