2 Buck Rule Discussion

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Most people had a feeling on the change in the Eastern season before and when it went into effect. Has anyone changed from their initial thoughts?

I initially liked the idea, but did not think it would matter around home. It seems to me like there are a few more bucks around and seem to be bigger. Too soon to make this proof. Still hoping.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Didn't like it then, don't now. And I am not a big harvester of deer so it really hasn't affected me tremendously.

^ This x 100!

Forcing the quasi tv trophy hunting values into NC deer hunting was a joke.

Wait a few more years and you'll see. The same idiots who always complained, worried, fretted and cried about what their neighbors shot still won't have the bucks of their tv wet dreams walking around begging to be shot and they will move on to the next thing they believe is preventing them from killing old mossy horns on their postage stamp sized deer lease.

<>< Fish

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not going to worry about it.
I shoot what I want. Just use a tag. Still can kill 4 to 6 bucks. They all eat the same way.
Someone always has a tag.....
That’s as common criminal as the rioting idiots in the streets.....rebel douche..... and right back on ignore....

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
2 buck rule ! Best thing since sliced bread!!

Drunk already, I see...or is it still? lol

I didn't support the rule then. I don't support it now. No patience for lazy TDMers who want to whine and cry about not being able to find "ZOMG Da BIG BUCKKKSSSS" on their "HITLIST" like they see on the YOU TUBES and on the TVs. Wonder if they would have better luck if they were to form a "Pro Staff" like the same losers did after watching DA DUX COMMANDERS.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Surely you don’t speed or never roll-stopped....are we weighing sins of the king?
Rules are the rules.... we don’t exceed deer limits and we don’t exceed duck limits.....if that makes the kings sins to you .... so be it.... if you think slipping a deer on someone else’s tags is ok or exceeding the limit is ok..... your as common as gadget!!

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Drunk already, I see...or is it still? lol

I didn't support the rule then. I don't support it now. No patience for lazy TDMers who want to whine and cry about not being able to find "ZOMG Da BIG BUCKKKSSSS" on their "HITLIST" like they see on the YOU TUBES and on the TVs. Wonder if they would have better luck if they were to form a "Pro Staff" like the same losers did after watching DA DUX COMMANDERS.
I was poking the bear with that comment.... as most of you know our club was 2 buck limit when it wasn’t cool in the East... we are actually on a run of one per year right now. That was more a population problem than a big horn problem.....

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I was poking the bear with that comment.... as most of you know our club was 2 buck limit when it wasn’t cool in the East... we are actually on a run of one per year right now. That was more a population problem than a big horn problem.....

So was I. *grin* Hence the "drunk already" intro. I know you're not drunk. :)

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I didn't like it then.
I don't like it now.
Not necessarily for me, but for others.
Sometimes you see a twisted up scrub buck 3.5 years old you'd rather not have around breeding, one tag too late. 🤷‍♂️
That's the breaks, though.

I think the "complainers" that got this passed either need to learn how to hunt better or, stop shooting the 1.5 to 2.5 year old bucks they see. Pass them, then they might see a big buck.

I reckon it like the flounder thing. Piss poor fishermen can't catch them so, they must be low in numbers. Guys that truly
know how to fish can catch 'em anytime they wanna try so, I don't think there is a real problem.
But for me, the law is the law.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Rules are the rules.... we don’t exceed deer limits and we don’t exceed duck limits.....if that makes the kings sins to you .... so be it.... if you think slipping a deer on someone else’s tags is ok or exceeding the limit is ok..... your as common as gadget!!

Haven’t said it was OK, only hypocritical if you break other laws. Not saying you do or don’t. Don’t worry, I judge folks too on the laws they break and which ones I see fit as being “ok” and “not ok”. 🙃

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
If goobner would pay me I would. I went from coffee to liquor last week. Back to reality this week

Ahh heck as long as there is an epidemic with restrictive control measures in place you can't be evicted, get $600 a week unemployment, periodic $1200 checks, etc, etc. Utopia! Live it up! All I can say is the hangover will be bad.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
That’s as common criminal as the rioting idiots in the streets.....rebel douche..... and right back on ignore....
So till me big boy, how is it criminal.
Don't tell me you are that lost.

I could shoot 6 bucks and tag them under current laws and rule...
And if the farmer gets extra paperwork, many more than that.
All legal prove me wrong.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
@FireDuck401 I'm not drunk you're drunk 😉

Seriously it's how it's done in limited draw states like South Dakota. Folks should count their blessings and let their 4 year olds tag the rest.

Good Lawd I can’t even put a reaction on a post without getting called out. 😂

Wasn’t about the limited draw, more about being a peasant.
😉

ddavenport

Six Pointer
Contributor
I don't think it has made much difference. The folks that want to kill several bucks per year still do and the ones that are very selective probably didn't kill more than 2 per year before the rule change.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have lived under the 2 buck rule in the central part of the state for years. I was a fan of it when it was implemented, I am still a fan. How successful it has been depends on what goal you perceive it had.

I see nothing in a two buck limit that is trophy management, you can still kill two spikes if you want to. For me it was always about getting people to kill more doe as a population control measure and to even out the buck to doe kill ratio again to that end. You can look at the numbers and see that has happened to a degree, but you can't, definitively, prove cause and effect. I don't have the time or interest in trying to normalize those numbers for land loss, population growth of people or deer, disease affect on deer population, hunter numbers (pure volume of, and days afield) that are required to get a better picture on relative cause and effect.

Seasons and bag limits should be about population management and herd health, nothing more or less. In our current system they are to slow to change as conditions change, mainly because of the blow back the biologist get from the hunting public.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I have hunted under the 2 buck rule in my part of the state since 2001 ( I believe that's when it was implemented, I could be off a year or two). Never bothered me. 2 bucks is plenty for me. I can shoot one young buck and hold out for a good one, or I can shoot two young bucks and be done, or I can hold out for two really good bucks. It's my two tags, I will do what I want with them. You could live in a state that has a one buck limit, or a state that has limited number of tags and you have to put in for a draw and cross your fingers that you get to hunt that year. 6 deer limit (2 bucks and 4 does) is a pretty good deal.

Like I said for a long time, I am just glad that there is a uniform limit across the state, from an enforcement stand point. It was just too easy for people to tag a 3rd and 4th buck in a 4 buck county, even though it was shot in a 2 buck county. I didn't really care if the state went to 2 bucks, 4 bucks, 3 bucks or 10 bucks, as long as it was the same across the state. I know that law breakers will continue to break the law, no matter what. But now, they have to get a little smarter. They can't just say "I shot that buck in Vance County" when they actually shot it in Granville county. Sure, they can tag it as a doe, but IF they get caught, that's an easy violation to prove. Or, if they choose not to tag it all and try to hide it, that's also an easier violation to prove.

I know a handful of guys who were notorious for shooting 4 bucks in 2 buck counties, and just called them in as shot in a 4 buck county. It was, of course, very difficult to prove what they were doing. But, I know one of them got busted last year. He shot a buck (his 3rd of the year), and tagged it as a doe. He was hauling it over to the processor and low and behold, there was the GW. He got ticketed. GW had been trying to get him on something for years and he finally got him. Will it change him? Doubtful. He will just get more creative from here on out, but at least he finally had some consequences for his actions. Cost him some money and some time.