1937 Dodge D-5 4 Door Touring Sedan

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad.

Started wiring the motor and power brakes arrived. BigTen stopped over to look at Bessy. Impressed I think. Several good pointers and as a lifetime professional mechanic, sees nothing out of place. He provided the gift of a drive shaft. Believe its out of a chevy truck and the front yolk should fit right up based on what I see in the reference data. If so, all we have to do is shorten it a few inches and make sure the rear u joint is the same one that go's on a 12 bolt rear end and we'll be in business for well under the price of a new custom made unit.

I think with his help we'll get some frame repairs done where the shop laser cut one side of the x member and hogged out the other side for the 4l60e transmission. Should also be able to weld the motor mount and reinforcing plates and perhaps even stiffen up the rear most steering joint with a much simpler and welded support bracket.

Going duck hunting for a week. But, we'll be driving soon!

BigTen,

Awesome help today. You coming by was more than helpful. Good to get some validation and pointers. Thanks for showing me how those high pressure fittings on the rack work. Research says the Chevy T5 and TH350 share the same yolk so the driveshaft oughta fit up front. I'll get under and check the aft end soon, with luck the joint out back is the same and the job is a simple removal of a few inches of shaft to make that hook up.

FB_IMG_1578523009921.jpgFB_IMG_1578523002338.jpgFB_IMG_1578522995064.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

I really don't like drilling holes in Ol Bessy. But some things are worth it. In this case, power brakes. Roughed in, fit is fine, plenty of clearance. I'll finish it tomorrow. Prolly have to shorten the brake pedal too but, for now..... And don't worry about that multi-color wiring.......I'll put it in black loom and it'll look much neater on the firewall.

FB_IMG_1578625083463.jpgFB_IMG_1578625077819.jpgFB_IMG_1578625071220.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

Good day working on Ol Bessy. Things are moving faster now with most of the big work completed.

Got the power master and booster/pedal assembly in place and locked down. Will fiddle with the pedal height after the floor is in. For now, the brakes are ready to be plumbed and juiced up. Looks like we'll have room for an acclerator pedal.

Checked the driveshaft we received. Back end will need shortened and either a transition joint of a larger joint for the 12 bolt. I think since we'll be shortening it, I'll just have it welded with a new yoke for the larger joint, easier to find if I ever need another out on a road trip.

Both exhaust head pipe and shifter remain on manufacturers delay. Maybe in a week or two we'll see them. Not sure how we'll work the exhaust, the fuel tank is offset to the drivers side, so all the room for the tail pipe is opposite, as you recall, factory outlet was down the passenger side. Will see, but I'm sure we won't be installing dual exhaust.

Completed wiring the motor. Hooked up the battery charger and run a test of the cars systems at 2 amps. Everything works. Electrically, all that remains to hook up are neutral safety, battery, headlights, front lamps/turns, horn, radio, cigar lighter, usb power taps, heater motor and fuel tank sender. It was nice to see all the lights working out back, the dome lamp inside and all the dash lights powered up and those turn/hazard signals blinking on the dash in green while the back end lit up the blue dot lenses.

I'll probably disassemble and cut coils on the front suspension again this month. My 180 lbs on the front bumper don't even flex the coils so, I'm sure the addition of 2 fenders, oil and water won't either. We are close enough to go ahead an approach final ride height out front.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Rich, I'll get the spring compressors to you in a few days. Text me when you'll be around..

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

A bit hard to show in photos while the car remains in the garage. But, did the final tweak on the front springs. Bessy has a good rake down in the front. Center of rear bumper is 18" off the ground with the front sitting 3" lower at 15". Side to side, seems to be about equal. The front lower control arms changed from 16 degrees to 8 degrees and the springs went in real nice. (chained em this time so they wouldn't launch!) I think the front springs are about done now, need to get it driving and let them settle a bit. If we need to raise the front end later I can rotate the coils from the lower to higher pocket and pick up 3/4" or so of height on the front end. Bouncing up and down on the bumper is tiring but sure is neat to watch the springs and suspension work! I can still slide under the front of the running board, but its tighter by a good bit, no more using a rolling board!

Started the heater install. Spent all day looking for a place on the firewall but, no dice. With the 3" set back, just no room, even with the compact heater selected. So, since it has the old look, back down on the right side kick panel and just like the original, the new pipes will go out through the holes that got welded up.....figures.....gotta drill them back out!

Once the heater is done, I'll put in the trans cooler and start plumbing it up to the radiator. Will also remove, trim and finalize the transmission mount.

FB_IMG_1579390507884.jpgFB_IMG_1579390503033.jpgFB_IMG_1579390496212.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad.

Check ride is getting very close.

Fuel line.

Brake lines.

Driveshaft.

That's lots of work but nearly to the point of switching from major work to fine tune all the parts to work together.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks. Really struggling with the hi pressure steering hose. I need to make one but the fittings are damn confusing

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Did you start the rebuild with a "road map" of have you been needing to do, or going along and making the list, or following some other plan?
Just wondering how you planned your rebuild path?

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Did you start the rebuild with a "road map" of have you been needing to do, or going along and making the list, or following some other plan?
Just wondering how you planned your rebuild path?

Back to front. Prolly do that twice. Put in major systems, plumb, test, tweak.

Start engine last after everything is in place.

Drive and Tweak (all summer). Upholster over the winter.

Daily driver starting July this year???? Hope so

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Getting in the short rows fellow. It won't be long, yeah.

Dayum skippy. Parts delays are holding me up now. Before we needed lots of parts and with nothin on the car anything that arrived could go straight on. Now the parts are specific.

Plus, its lower now and I cant get my fat arss under so gotta go get Jack stands and chock blocks to do the plumbing back to front!!!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Old school. Park lights out front are on only in park. E.g. front park lights off when headlights are on. Turn and flashers work all the time.

20200123_112954.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

Finishing up all the electrical wiring this weekend.
On the punch list is:

Install Battery and cables, Will be using the original under driver seat location.
Install new cigar lighter. I'll hang on to the original 83 year old lighter, still works but probably best from a fire safety persepctive to retire it.
Install stereo. A nod to modern with blue tooth, navigation, text messages read to me by the radio, hands free phone calls, streaming music, USB charger/input and auxiliry music input, plus CD player (who but me still has cds, hell, I still have 8 tracks!)
Install heater switch.
Install USB Chargers and power taps.
Install stereo speakers.
Install fuel sender, after I clean the tank.
Hook up neutral safety.

After that, it'll just be hook up fuel, trans cooler and install fluids and I'll be calling you to come down for first fire on the motor. 20 minute break in at 2000 rpm, in the garage, no mufflers!
It'll be awesome cause we're going to fire it at 0530 hours and wake up all the women for celebratory AM Scotch and Cigars. (Fortunately the Army got most of your hearing and much of mine, so we won't know about all the bitching later!) Think about February, check your schedule.

PS, Gas pedal arrived. 87-01 Jeep Cherokee. Looks like a perfect fit for a flat firewall, two bolts to install. Uses a cable to the carbs. Easy peasy to modify, bend, etc for a perfect fit. Looks like stock too, not that loud billet aluminum stuff.

Last edited:

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
It'll be awesome cause we're going to fire it at 0530 hours and wake up all the women for celebratory AM Scotch and Cigars. (Fortunately the Army got most of your hearing and much of mine, so we won't know about all the bitching later!)

Awesome! That would be way too cool!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
BigTen,

I am rolling in on electrical. Should be 99 percent this weekend. I'll plumb trans cooler and modulator next week and try to set up initial gas pedal/throttle cable Thereafter, try to clean tank and plumb fuel.

I'd like to start her up in mid to late February for the first time since 1991.

Planning to go get Dad or have him come down for start up.

I'm hoping that you'll be available to assist first fire. I am sure I'll need extra eyes and hands and skill before Dad turns the key.....top off trans while running the first time, pumping up the lifters, double checking the dizzy/timing, watch gauges and IR thermometer, etc.

Gimmie a holler.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll make sure of it! I may head that way first of the week and bring a few things. Can help get lines run etc...

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
copy. I have to measure and find some lengths of hard lines local. I think standard brake tubing will be fine for solid portion of trans vac modulator line and the two cooler lines to the radiator and back. Much to do, check in with me next week and make sure I have gotten far enough along to go get lines so we'll have something to do besides smoke cigars and drink scotch!

I also have to spray out the tank and get/find fuel line. All the clips are here, gotta get the self tapping screws etc.

Gotta set the gas pedal and at least hook up a rope to the throttle till I can get a cable assembly that I like. If not, we'll put a spring on the throttle for start up and work the gas by hand at the shaft.

Tach should be here in a day or three and I'll hook it up for monitoring in the cab....also have a portable tach we can use at the cowl. I'll also get a new battery for the infrared thermometer so we can monitor heat in the heads and radiator during the run in.

Hopefully have a temporary y pipe here in a week or so that I can put a length of pipe on and we'll have enough metal there to keep the cool air from cracking valve seats after shut down.

Electrical first, then I'll line up the rest. Hopefully have electrical done to 99 percent by Sunday.

If all go's well, I can at least try to get Dad here 3rd or 4th week of Feb and we'll oil her up and have him turn the key.

Gotta admit, I am a bit tired. I think running the engine will put some energy back in me for running the brake lines and fiddledicking the brake pedal/master into something that will be comfortable to drive on.

All that gets done and to drive it the first time I'm only shy of a drive shaft decision (modify the small diameter one or order a large dia new), install/bleed brake lines and make a power steering high pressure hose. Gettin to the end of it now!

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I'll say I will hate the day you get it up and running and it becomes your daily driver. I will miss the thread of the build! But like everything, I sure have enjoy the "Ride"! Thank you!