1937 Dodge D-5 4 Door Touring Sedan

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Very nice progress, keep it up. Id reconsider using to ls as its the most popular swap in the world and a ton of info on it.
Yep, and I saw one on a go cart recently, with a carb. So it isn't like you have to have miles of wiring harness like they make out.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Very nice progress, keep it up. Id reconsider using to ls as its the most popular swap in the world and a ton of info on it.

The ls is a no fit situation. Cut frame for exhaust. Raise motor and cut crossmember to install power steering joint and leave drivers side of engine raised. No room for radiator. Ac compressor fits but no rotation on tensioner bracket because of frame and crossmember. Have to choose on remaining space whether to have ac components or Install ecu and pressure vessel. That's the short list. The shop did NOT plan this out when they convinced us an ls was the way to go. Nor did they think through all the existing cuts, chops , welds they made to get the ls shoved in. My job now is to unf__k this ls powered gokart. :)

I'll sell you an ls package at a very fair price.

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad. Separated out all the dash switch wiring. Gotta route and wrap it. Then we'll have hook ups for wipers, lights, dimmer, radio. Heat and air.

20190930_153037.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

Spent most of the day on wiring. Managed to get the dash switch plate wired up, ignition, alternator light, headlight switch and wiper switch. Everything wrapped, soldered and crimped.

A huge amount of the day was spent upside down looking up into the dash and separating out those wires that go up over and into the switch plate from those that go down and through the firewall to the engine bay.

So far, the wiring part is pretty easy. The hard part is the monkey contortions to get the wires in the right places after reading the itty bitty numbers on the wires and double checking to determine if its going the right place.

The big scare today is a misprint in the painless wiring harness guide book. After separating out the wiring by number, wrapping it, fishing it, clamping it all the the inside of the firewall, i had a brown wire in hand and the picture called for green when using a painless ignition switch. Ouch. Back through the harness for an hour, traced the brown wire, its right.

Of the 5 or more switches highlighted in the instructions, only one calls out a green wire on the schematic (labeled brown in the instructions and colored brown in the harness). Since it had the right number and went the right places, I hooked it up. Hope it don't explode the tail lights when I put power to it the first time! (I'm sure its right. Misprint in the book)

PS....last of the glass arrived. Guess what I'm doing after dinner?

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

Glass is finally done. Everything fits and works. The last three pieces are a much darker green tint than the original and replacement glass we used in the past. But, she's buttoned up.

As for wiring.....I have just about run out of wiring to do. Firewall to rear bumper is 98% complete. Fire wall forward is not being done yet as I have to pull the sheet metal and engine/trans to swap in the new power plant. But gauges, switches and the back end are all hooked up and ready to work.

So.....time to start on the rear brakes tomorrow. Time to clean and paint the underside, clean the fuel tank and plumb fuel and brakes at least as far as the firewall. Probably need to order the stereo and speakers now as well. I'll also measure the wheel spaces and order the first wheel and tire to check fit all around. Will likely also convert the points distributor to electronic (of the two on hand, the HEI unit is worn out, the 71 Chevelle dizzy is in nice shape and the smaller size is prettier under the hood with a big coil beside it).

At this pace, and barring any heavy duty deer hunting (that's very likely to happen), it'll be time to find an engine hoist and order the motor and trans by or before the end of October.

71321779_2975368009200337_7899164041027780608_n.jpg71649683_2975367962533675_1308068853053390848_n.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

Diving into the rear brakes, back to front as always for this job.

New wheel cylinders arrived. Knew I'd need them. First look at the passenger side rear drum brake.

Drum is August 72 and 150 thousands oversize. Will replace both drums then. 2 lug studs missing, other three good shape and chased to clean up the thread. With luck I can press the new lug studs onto the axle flange through the hole in the backing plate for the wheel cylinder. If not, its take apart the differential and then decide whether to replace studs or the entire axle assembly.

I have all the measurements and so checking the parts availability tonight.

After some lunch, on to the drivers side rear drum to see how it looks.71391858_2977619855641819_5405764401317806080_n.jpg

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Rich, to install the studs, pick up a couple extra lug nuts. Start stud in axle, turn flat side of nut to axle and tighten. That will pull the stud in. Some cases require a larger diameter washer to act as a spacer when doing this if the knurling extends out of the axle plate a bit...

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Hoo Ahh! Will giver her a go that way. Was planning to see if the ball joint press and a series of rods and cups would fit in there some way to press it in place. Don't want to pull the axles till we take it a spin. If it growls then in goes new parts and that'll be the time to retrofit to a posi, otherwise, later, later! Thanks BigTen!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

Got through the rear brakes today. Ordered the right parts to make it stop.

On the way is 2 brake drums, brake shoes, wheel studs, wheel nuts, axle brake lines, rear brake hose, brake hose bracket, and the first of the chrome smoothie wheels with baby moon caps.

Hunting tomorrow but will inventory the fuel tank and system. Probably just need straps and tubing for that, an easy job that can be accomplished in concert with the brakes on the rear axle.

I think the shop had us stuck in a well, and kept throwing in crap. But in fine fashion, we climbed up the turd pile and are out of the trap. So far, so good and I see Ol Bessy starting to shine. Lots of work ahead but we will make it.

Be ready to work between hunting trips when you get here in a few weeks.

A photo of your wheel attached. Should be sexxy with a whitewall. We can't afford Cokers but we'll have nice riding radial tires on it.

Once I pop it on, I can double check for fit, but right now the 235/75R15s on the car stick out of the fenders. Measurements indicate a good 15" x 6" wheel with less than 4" backspace should accommodate a tire size like 225/75R15 - Good height, fills the wells, doesn't rub or stick out......I hope.....Measure 75 times, purchase once!

index.jpg

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Sharps40. THANK YOU for this thread. Awesome work you are doing.
Answer if you want, What do you estimate your total investment is? I know you can not figure your labor and the screw job you got when the shop changed owners, but just wondering, ballpark?
Thanks again as the is fantastic!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
A photo of your wheel attached. Should be sexxy with a whitewall. ,,,

index.jpg

got to agree with that one,,,that will look nice

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Sharps40. THANK YOU for this thread. Awesome work you are doing.
Answer if you want, What do you estimate your total investment is? I know you can not figure your labor and the screw job you got when the shop changed owners, but just wondering, ballpark?
Thanks again as the is fantastic!

I have 23k to shop in parts cars body work supplies, modern parts. (25k was to get it done but didn't happen.) I prolly recouped 5k in parting out remains so mark me at 20k.

Dad had an additional 15k essentially stolen. We pretend it doesn't exist for this calculation.

I estimate 8k to 12k to be driving and upholstered.

Call it a 32k car. Assssload higher than we wanted. But, hell with it. It's just money and ment to be spent. Leaving too much money behind just gets family fighting so we'll dump in in Ol Bessy and road trips!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

Found a way to convert an original 1" hole to a 1.25" hole without chewing up the metal. Drill a hole in a block, line it up, drill out the new larger hole. Works like a champ with a hole saw and a variable speed drill.

So, all the wires to the front now out the floor and headed forward along the original frame clamps on the Drivers side.

All that is left under the dash is 2 radio wires, AC and Heat wires, speedo sender wire, cigar/power wire, one accessory wire.

Its starting to look much less like a spaghetti bowl on the drivers side floor.

Off to hunt. Back on Ol Bessy tomorrow.

72789059_2983819885021816_469327732317093888_n.jpg72372169_2983819998355138_4799735792773627904_n.jpg

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't know if you have an electricians knockout set. You can cut a larger hole with them with an existing hole already there also. Perfect round and no buggering. The good thing about them is they require no power tools.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't know if you have an electricians knockout set. You can cut a larger hole with them with an existing hole already there also. Perfect round and no buggering. The good thing about them is they require no power tools.

Yep, there is at least a couple of ways to accomplish the goal, but a knockout is a very valid course to take to leave a smoothe cut.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

Some of the parts arrived today. After the morning hunt, I was able to install brake new Raysbestos drums and Wagner riveted shoes. Nothing adjusted yet, still waiting on lines and clips. Rear brake hose (71 Camaro) arrived along with the proper brackets, will get them mounted in a couple days with the lines and clips....then I'll finalize the rear brakes (except for the emergency brake cables).

The light socket arrived for the license lamp. Got the replacement bracket made up and the wires routed. Some soldering to do yet and waiting on the third brake light to arrive. (A pair of red bullets to mount on the license plate. Brakes will be four red lamps across the fenders and trunk.....maybe that'll wake up the folks behind).

Half the lug nuts arrived for the rear wheels, so, have one side done. Still waiting on the other lug nuts and new studs for the passenger side rear.

The chrome wheel is supposed to arrive tonight....but we are in the country and FeDex will often hold all the remote packages till later in the week and make one trip out to the boonies.....we'll know after the evening hunt if there are no boxes on the porch.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

Rim arrived. Largest that will likely fit all the way around. I checked it in the rear as its the tightest fit. Its a 15x6 rim for a 225/75R15 tire (same size as your 47 Chevy truck.)

With that tire size, looks like our inside clearance between inflated tire and steel fender/inner fender well will be 1+" to fender and about 2" to inner fender well.

Shes bright. I'll drop it off to get a Hankook Optimo or similar white wall mounted and balanced tomorrow. When its back I'll check fit again with weight on the rubber. If its good, will be ordering 3 more to shoe up Ol Bessy.

Also, your third brake light will be red bullets on the license plate. Naturally, one broke on assembly so.......I have a do over to do but, they look pretty good. Since one broke I'll try to find some antique jeweled red glass lights instead of these LED models. But, assembled and wired here for proof of concept.

Work to do in the woods tomorrow, rifle season starts Sat. Will be hunting the AM sat with Uncle Vic's WWII capture rifle. In between times I'll keep moving forward on the brakes. But at least today, I got new lug studs pulled into the axle and I have the axle brake lines and hoses now. So, moving quickly forward.

Probably 2 to 4 full days work and then I think I must dung out the shop and start removing the front sheet metal. You see, we are rapidly approaching the need to purchase the engine, trans and cooling system.....Right on time/target. All is well. Don't quit your day job, its about to get expensive! :)

72814077_2992507107486427_2243979365433999360_n.jpg72433778_2992507227486415_9107016837320671232_n.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

Spent the morning setting up new deer blinds in the woods. One more to do tomorrow.

Got in tonight and plumbed up your rear brakes across the rear axle. Still have to put in the bracket for the flexible hose. Then I'll plumb it all the way up to the firewall.

In the past, we've always bent brake lines from scratch. Thought I'd save some time by buying and installing preformed brake lines since I knew exactly what year and model the rear came out of. No dice on time saving. You still have to bend and tweek the preformed lines to get them in place. But they look good, fit good and only a couple more hours work to finish all the break work all the way to the rear.

I also dropped off the wheel to get a tire installed. Should have it back tomorrow afternoon and by evening we should have some final measurements and photos. If its all good, I'll get the other three wheels and tires ordered and installed.

Tank and fuel plumbing is next. Then we get to the heavy stuff up front!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Cant. car is imobile, no steering, no brakes. That dust is best left undisturbed until it can be rolled out and gently rinsed off with flowing water.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

Back brakes done, everything is new. First wheel and tire is on and looking sharp. Plenty of clearance to the frame and inner fender well. Bulge of the tire sits just inside the lip of the fender and plenty of clearance for the axle to move up and down over the deep NC pot holes and off road when running through streams and over logs when we go hunting in the old gal.

Additional wheels arrive next week, we'll get the remaining tires and the spare then.

Tank straps and supplies are ordered, so I can get the tank in place.

So, gotta do the dirty job cleaning , sealing and painting the floor pan underside....I'll slow boat that so maybe when you get here you can get your eyes and hair fulla rusty crap too.

Barring any issues, we'll pull the sheet metal and perhaps pull the engine and transmission while you are here this month!

72462672_2998500036887134_8686340145185554432_n.jpg72189582_2998500306887107_7887543676295970816_n.jpg72421514_2998500130220458_6035185025253638144_n.jpg72689348_2998500206887117_8759047825473404928_n.jpg

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Rich, I have a cherry picker that you are more than welcome to use, and I may just be able to find a bit of time to help a bit now that you are not too far from me. The only thing is what it would take to dig the darn thing out of the shop to get it loaded up to bring to you. Got years of accumulation between it and the doors. It'd take a big part of a day to dig that puppy out, but we can if you're interested.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks. Picking up a cherry picker from ksherb sunday. I do appreciate all the offers and the advice is also helped a lot already. Excited here. I can see a day soon where I'll actually drive her!!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

Front end is off. Picking up a loaner hoist today. Its tight in there, oddly, you see how tight better with the metal off.

I don't know.....small block or big straight six. Much to think about.

72377744_3004054469665024_8740517322218799104_n.jpg72671406_3004054682998336_902832516807786496_n.jpg73539170_3004054349665036_7074598532866375680_n.jpg