1937 Dodge D-5 4 Door Touring Sedan

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Google “swagelok”.

It may come in handy on a project for you sometime. Not cheap, but easy to work with. We use them on gauge piping and sometimes for seal water lines. Pretty fancy looking when it is all done.
They are pricey but almost foolproof and make a neat job. I have used them on heavy equipment that is terrible about breaking tubing at the flares from vibration.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
BigTen

Dad cant make it for 2 or more weeks but he said start it asap.

How's your schedule look for sat sun or monday?

I should be ready to go by then. Roll it forward and kick the motor into life.

My schedule is flexible. BUT, with what you guys have been through, and done, I think it's only fair that your Dad is the one to turn the key on initial start up. Just seems too special to not allow that. Let's get it ready to go and surprise him with the first start. Everything can be done, primed and only need a Dad in the seat to crank it to life.
What say ye?

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
My schedule is flexible. BUT, with what you guys have been through, and done, I think it's only fair that your Dad is the one to turn the key on initial start up. Just seems too special to not allow that. Let's get it ready to go and surprise him with the first start. Everything can be done, primed and only need a Dad in the seat to crank it to life.
What say ye?

Agreed 100%.....and it shall be recorded, no excuses

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
What say ye?

Crank it. He said film it and call him, he wants to drive it so bad and doesn't want another delay.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Spanky new battery is on the charger at 2 Amps to bring it up full. Shouldn't need back up batteries but have the Nissan and should have the t bird here by then just in case. I wanted an 800 amp 34 or 34/78 series but the largest that would fit the hole in the floor is a 750 amp. So, thats what i got.

Drivers side manifold reinstalled. Trans cooler hooked up and tubing secured on bracket along the oil pan. Picked up 12 feet of flexible 2.25" pipe to hook up to the down pipe stubs so we can run the exhaust out from under the car to the side or, since we'll be working from both sides, out the front away from our feet.

Broke the bottom out of the brake light switch on disassembly so ran out and got a new one. Hooked up the charger to the car and the rear sockets are wonky/loose on the bulbs so may replace those, if so, I'll split out the brake lamp from the turn lamps at the same time by adding another single filament bulb to the rear buckets. But, the brake lights work!

Still not seeing any oil, fuel or trans fluid leaks. Gotta remember to pull the plug off the transmission tail shaft before we start it and put it in gear.

Fuel gauge responds to power now. I'll put clean gasoline in it Saturday morning and let it sit a few hours to check for leaks before we fire it.

About all that's left to do is rotate the engine to check the valve adjustment, prime the oil system and drop the dizzy back in at TDC. I think we'll break it in at 0 to 4 BTDC and then once we get it on the road in late March, see if it likes 6 to 8 Before top dead center.

Gonna be a long wait to the weekend!

Guess I'll put the battery in tomorrow and program the stereo to link up to the phone for calls, texts, navigation and streaming.

Prolly oughta pick up the Tbird in there too......

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

Just like you taught me and just like we did all those years scraping by to keep her running.......when in doubt, run flex pipe out...on coat hangers! So, couple sections run forward and to the sides/out of the way so we can roll her forward Saturday for first start.

Charged battery is in. We have power to starter and the Dizzy and everything else. I'll pull the chrome valve covers and check the lifter adjustment tomorrow. Probably also pull the choke cable and dizzy and see if there is enough room to get a drill in place to prime the motor.

Fingers crossed. Sat is the day with Sun and Mon as back up days for my screw ups.

FB_IMG_1583279548000.jpgFB_IMG_1583279539036.jpg

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I know you wouldn't miss the opportunity but don't forget to turn the volume up when you fire that thing off. Maybe post here at a designated time to announce a set time, then live stream on the Book of Faces.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
your messing with the gambling squares board i have running on this!!

BigTen will be here Sat. I suspect he'll grill me to make sure we's ready for start and prolly back check a few things.

Chasing the plumbing fittings and hopefully got it all dogged down tight, but I'm ready for leaks and have two fire extinguishers.

I did check, Lovely Bright Pink Dizzy wire is hot with the ignition switch on and the Neutral Safety Switch kills power to the starter in anything but Park and Neutral.

Only thing I can't do is check for fuel flow before cranking it over but we'll know soon enough. Its a new pump and pushrod, should be fine.

Off to the basement to check the valves and maybe spin up the oil pump.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I know you wouldn't miss the opportunity but don't forget to turn the volume up when you fire that thing off. Maybe post here at a designated time to announce a set time, then live stream on the Book of Faces.

No set time. Hope to kick it over Sat. But Sun/Mon works if we have major fixers to do first.

Gonna try to set up a camera over the motor and have my cell in hand. We'll be pretty busy first few minutes watching gauges and stuff and I gotta figure out if I can pause and restart on the camera, cell camera pause and continue is easy.....shooting for a minimum 10 minutes run in with a goal of 20 minutes at 1500 to 2000 RPM. Both vids should have sound. I 'spect it'll be noisy on straight pipes.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Got Lizzy polished and sealed in time for a two hr ride home in spring showers. Boy...does she ever go!!! 280 horse Jaguar V8. With Lizzy and Ol Bessy "I shall ride eternal, shiny and chrome."

20200305_143640.jpg20200305_143701.jpg20200305_143605.jpg20200305_143621.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
The opening scene of road warrior is indelibly engraved in my mind....head on shot down the throat of a 6-71 blower...go man, go!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

About ready for start tomorrow. Tool laid out, including fluids. First thing I'll get fresh gas and put 4 or 5 gallons in the tank. I'm placing a real time temp probe inside the radiator and we have the Infrared Gun to match against the gauges.

Engine already primed and was making 55 psi oil pressure on the small electrical drill.

Push her out about 10 am. Stage the tools, giant fan and tie down the exhaust pipes. We will blow fuel from tank to pump and prime the main carb, stand by fire extinguishers and should be cranking by 1100 hrs.

I'll call you just before we turn the key so you'll be on hand

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad,

Prepped and key on at 1030 7 March 2020. Last run was fall 1991 when she was struck and parked. Video is a compilation of the 45 minute break in. 15 mins at 2000 rpm, 10 minutes at 1500 rpm and the remainder at 1000 and 700 rpm. BigTen blew fuel to the front, primed the line from pump to carbs and took care of filling the trans and radiator while I bumbled around and tried not to poop my pants or puke. I love this car.

Some minor weeping at the pump and thermostat to correct with new gaskets, but everything else is fluid tight. On to the last of the mechanical and hydraulic systems now and then we'll get to tuning and exhaust.

Your Gal is almost ready to gallop!

(I recon we'll start a trend. Give it a month and all the youngins will have flex pipe exhaust running out the front of their tuners!)