1937 Dodge D-5 4 Door Touring Sedan

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Its hard to describe how excited Dad is. 60 years in the making. Soon, he'll have the car he wanted to build when he was 19 but with some modern capability. We are close to some assembly and final color. Running boards will get a black bed coat surrounded by the blue to simulate the rubber mats that came from the factory. Going with the blue on the dash and window frames. The chrome and burl walnut gauge cluster will set it off. Once the chrome smoothies with baby moons and all the stainless trim go's on the body, it'll break the car up top to bottom and it should pop on the blue. Dad says they'll be wanting the trim and gauges/grill, etc, soon. So, I'll hopefully be making a trip up to see it before years end. I found a near perfect chrome NOS ram hood ornament for about $60 and will put the pitted original on display in the den.

The craftsmen working on the car told Dad they like the color much better than on the HellCat. Its all the curves, out in the sun, the old Dodge shows off and changes moods with the sunlight being thrown back differently from the curves by the pearl.

Mom saw the car for the first time with color on it yesterday. She's very much in love with it. She learned to drive in this car, flat 6 with dual carbs and a floor shifted 3 speed, sitting on a pillow and Grand Dad having bolted oak blocks to the pedals for her. I think she'll like driving it a lot more with an 8 and auto!

For now, shop is rounding up glass, drive shaft, engine control harness, trans control harness, Radiator with AC, brakes, booster, Master Cylinder.........

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Looks some kind of bad. That thing is gonna light up those skinny tires you are putting on there. Have to tell Pops to go light on the throttle from the stop lights.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Looks some kind of bad. That thing is gonna light up those skinny tires you are putting on there. Have to tell Pops to go light on the throttle from the stop lights.

Waitin to see....205s maybe/can't remember....trying to stay narrow on tire patch, 600x16s would be ideal but prolly go with a more available tire in a 15" wheel........I'll put in an eaton as needed.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Running Boards are from Smoothie Fab, a local NC company. Blue is in place and now to topcoat (a panel, surrounded by the blue) with black bed liner so we can actually step on them getting in and out of the car.

YV1RRms.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Getting ready to make a road trip next week. First I've seen the car since the final primer coat in Jan 18. Now she's blue, got a suspension and drive line and coming together. Hauling the bling and trailering back much of the excess parts to get the ready to sell. Spent the morning cleaning and putting the final touches on 80 year old stainless and chrome. Most is in very usable shape and exhibits sufficient shine. A mix of new and old, just like Dad could have done about 60 years ago.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Given our location here in Mount Gilead, I think I'm going to run 77, 81 and 66. Its only 60 more miles but only one city to go through....Winston Salem....I can cut around winchester on 66 and come right in the back door to Centerville/Manassas. Up 85 and 95 means hitting variously winston, raleigh/durham, petersburg, richmond, fredricksburg, quantico/acquia, fairfax and finally, centerville. So, I suspect it'll be the same 7ish hours but lots less congestion running the ridges up the western route. Gonna take my trailer and grab up a bunch of the excess parts and then try to find a freight place close here and get them sold.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Good run up. 7.5 hrs door to door using 73 74 77 81 and 66. Made 2 stops to exercise pup and get gas and chow. Iv yet to run the route up 85 and 95 in less than 7 even though the mileage is less.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Good trip up and the car looks grand, dad is pleased and I have left over parts we brougt home to get rid of and another trip up to fetch back the spare cowl, axle/suspension, rear and steering thats no longer necessary.....hmmmmmm......might pay for a hunting trip! Prolly sink it all in the car instead.

Spent time with Dad getting his 47 Truck out of the garage.....oil, water, trans fluid, air in the tires, started it up and it started shooting gas out the top of the fuel pump.....ah well, we'll ride in it next trip!