1937 Dodge D-5 4 Door Touring Sedan

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Ok...........that's what I've been doing. 6 hrs away I've had to trust some and rely on dad. This last year has been problematic. This was just an update as there rem-ns interest here. We won't be discussing blame here. Some lies in all camps. Well get it done.

Lots of interest, I want to see this thing run. As someone who lost my father to alzheimers/parkinsons and have a grandfather who has it now, put a fire under their :donk:donk:donk. There will be the day he wakes up and suddenly changes for the worst.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Yep. Well get her going. Body work is done. Paint and mech goes fast. My blame is not listening to dad long ago. If I would just do what dad says I wouldn't be fussing with a redo 25 years later. He's had his trucks and cars there for years and trusts them. So. I trust dad and ill do it his way.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Researching and made some calls. the johnnie law suspension was rejected for being mostly off shore. Contacted Fatman down the road here in Mint Hill, they have a direct weld in Mustang II kit for the 37 38 dodge/Plymouth/Desoto that accommodates the narrow and humped front frame rails. its not a universal, so no cutting or reshaping the cross member or hats will be required....just position it, weld it and then hang the suspension and sheet metal.;;;. I shoulda called there first. In addition, I don't have to suffer with low and lower spindles do to installing an MII Suspension. They have 2" raised spindles that will set my front end just about one inch lower than it sat on the factory semielliptic front springs. Good deal since I'm using a gm rear on the factory style rear springs and don't want a strong rake or even a frame dragging fad look. Slight forward rake and factory ride height will be perfect. Left a message with the builder to call me and lets continue our discussion on the final costs, pick up date and get the fatman suspension on the way. Wish me luck.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
We will see. Called thur and Fri and no one will talk to me or return calls. Chatted with Dad tonight. He's going over next week. We will see.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad's Sis died so he won't be checking the Dodge this week. But ill post yesterdays letter to the shop here today (when I get to a computer).

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Yesterdays letter to the shop. Talked it over with GoodWife, I suppose if we can't get it going now, I'll have to go get it. Will have to figure out how to get the front end rolling, I can set it up with FatMan myself and put out a call to a welder on the forum to help. No sense buying a welder and learning to weld for a single job.

"We’ve not been able to connect on the phone in Jan or Feb 2018. Dad remains engaged with health and family issues. I’d like to continue our conversation on the 1937 Dodge. Either by phone or in person is fine. If in person, let me know what day/time of the week is suitable and I’ll drive up, otherwise, please contact me at the number below.
Dad is also anxious to find out your thoughts on cost estimate to finish the car (in order to determine if we can afford to proceed) and what the completion date might be.
If we cannot afford to proceed Dad and I need to know what we owe and make arrangements with you to halt the project.
In the meantime and per my phone message last week, please investigate installation of a Fat Man Mustang II front suspension. I’ve talked with them, they have a direct fit set up for the 37 Dodge/Plymouth/Desoto frames at $2350 as follows:
- Direct fit 37 Dodge hub to hub kit with coil over springs and shocks, painted control arms/components, power steering rack and all GM 11” disc brake/hub/bolt pattern. At the price indicated above, the kit includes the 2” “Raised” spindles which keep the front end up within about 1” of its factory ride height as established by the factory solid axle/semielliptical springs. Given the car is riding on a 12 bolt rear on its NOS rear semielliptical springs, we will wind up with the slightest forward rake, basically, the car should sit and look like it came from the factory with the raised spindles.

Thanks in advance. Let me know how and when we can talk."

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I agree, as eager your father is to let them finish it...time isnt on his side and the shop obviously doesnt care about that or they would be working with you to do so. I wouldn't even give them a chance at this point, they are dodging you. Id show up, trailer in tow and get the car.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
For Dad, one last shot. Long weekend in May.....if needed, I'll go up, gather the parts and have hired a company that can bring the body and chassis home. But, the last of the heavy lifting is the weld in of a front suspension. As needed, I'm sure I can do that at home.....might be gorilla welds if I have to do it but it'll be progress.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Ol Bessy the 1937 Dodge has a modern independent suspension with power steering and power disc brakes.....FatMan is welded in and there are tires installed on all 4 corners!!!!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Yep!!! Ain't holdin my breath yet but estimates are being worked up. Date too. Then we see if Dad can afford his half!

But. She's a Roller!!!!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Not the best video but Dad did good with his cell phone.

Now.....Dad doesn't know what the spark block or the fuel injection box is.....neither do I.....suppose I'll call the shop and find out what the jist of his conversation really was. In the meantime we confirmed LS3 is in the house (if Dad got the numbers right.....I don't think he did cause that's too big.) along with the 4l60E. Also confirmed the use of FatMan 2" raised spindles for a ride height very close to original 1937 Dodge specs.....it'll allow for the use of 600x16 Wide Whites on Chrome Steelies with Baby Moons per my and Dads theme for the car.......a look commensurate with what an 18 year old on a tight budget might do in 1957......wheels, paint and motor.....i.e. it won't look like a hot rod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUZU1VdQdI4&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Ok....just off the phone with the shop. We are on the floor and working.

Notes: Fatman kit is good. But, its not a direct fit as you might think given its advertised to fit the humped front rails of the 37/38 Dodge/Plymouth/Desoto frames. Seems it does require some hand trimming and fitting to mate up to the underside of the hump. Assessment is its a good kit, probably the only one really available for these models and the customer service has been quite fine during the trimming, welding and build up.

Its not an LS3. Dad was confused. 5.3L vortec truck motor.

Spark blocks and fuel injection boxes are actually the wiring harnesses......so, that bit of confusion resolved.

Confirmed plans now in the log book include 2015 HellCat B5 pearl blue, AC, woodgrain dash and interior trim, Walker or Brass Works radiator, 2" raised spindles, 12 bolt rear with 308 gear, power brakes under floor, battery in factory floor hole under drivers seat, Lokar shifter and ebrake on the floor, tilt wheel, ford banjo steering wheel, 15" chrome steelies with baby moons running a 235 series wide white tire tucked nicely in the fender wells, power rack steering, coil and shock front suspension, factory semielliptic rear suspension, quiet mufflers on true dual exhaust, all new glass and rubber, all new wiring harness, and the list go's on.....but now to finish up the front suspension and get the motor/trans set.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ok....just off the phone with the shop. We are on the floor and working.

Notes: Fatman kit is good. But, its not a direct fit as you might think given its advertised to fit the humped front rails of the 37/38 Dodge/Plymouth/Desoto frames. Seems it does require some hand trimming and fitting to mate up to the underside of the hump. Assessment is its a good kit, probably the only one really available for these models and the customer service has been quite fine during the trimming, welding and build up.

Its not an LS3. Dad was confused. 5.3L vortec truck motor.

Spark blocks and fuel injection boxes are actually the wiring harnesses......so, that bit of confusion resolved.

Confirmed plans now in the log book include 2015 HellCat B5 pearl blue, AC, woodgrain dash and interior trim, Walker or Brass Works radiator, 2" raised spindles, 12 bolt rear with 308 gear, power brakes under floor, battery in factory floor hole under drivers seat, Lokar shifter and ebrake on the floor, tilt wheel, ford banjo steering wheel, 15" chrome steelies with baby moons running a 235 series wide white tire tucked nicely in the fender wells, power rack steering, coil and shock front suspension, factory semielliptic rear suspension, quiet mufflers on true dual exhaust, all new glass and rubber, all new wiring harness, and the list go's on.....but now to finish up the front suspension and get the motor/trans set.

I was pulling for you on the ls3. That ls 5.3 will put down plenty in that old car.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
While it's not an LS3, the Vortec 5.3 is no slouch. Even if it's the first generation it's 285 hp. You'll be happy with it in there.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Yep. 5.3 truck motor should bang out close to 300 hp. 308s oughta keep it at 1700 ish at 70 for quiet cruisiing. Talked dad out of 600-16 tires for a bit wider wheel to keep it from spinning to easy

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
5.3 all factory ecu controled. So. Fuel injection. If I was to go carbs I'd use webers. Best carbs in the world.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
No call yet but I got a suprize....setting the motor and trans today......modern motivation for the old gal.....love it.....Ol Bessy our Family Girl is getting new guts!

cfiEc67.jpg

Once the weight is on we can finish the suspension set up.....

U9sRsYa.jpg

U9Ebrgh.jpg

Its close around the 4L60E,,,,,might need some floor work.

m4R9o0Z.jpg

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Oh yeah! Dad is ecstatic. Me to. Needs fire wall mods. Bur we have 2 cowls there to work with. X member has to be modded and I suspect exhaust will be a challenge but we's happy!