1937 Dodge D-5 4 Door Touring Sedan

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Short ride this morning, sounds good,....a little poppy with base at higher volumes. Did a bit of reading last night and this morning on Hi pass and lo pass by speaker size and range. These are smaller 4 in speakers rated 75hz so, sending all the frequencies to them, including all the base, is likely the problem. Snapped the switches on the amp to HPF 80 for front and rear and will run a bit more. That should stop sending signal to them that they can't possibly reproduce.

If i want better base later I can install a down firing mini sub to round out the sound without the Hoopty Rattles.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Hi pas and gain adjustment helped a lot...boy it's a long way from my days with a pioneer supertuner and audiovox 40 watt sound exploder.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Big break upgrade today. Started with a 7 in dual booster and a 4 to 1 ratio. (cause I didnt think larger would fit and with the firewall moved to the rear, there is no room for the 6 to 1 ratio pedal that a 7 inch dual needs to stop a big car. I was at 4 to 1, so an instant deduction of 1/3 of my available leverage.)

It worked ok. Fine for around about driving but a panic stop was more like a moderate level of slow down with a pedal that just hit the wall and wouldnt ever make enough pressure to really dog down the disc and drum brakes.

Heres where i started today. 7 inch dual diaphragm booster, relegated now to small light cars and firewalls that have room for a much longer swing.

IMG_20240409_131151596_HDR.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
And here's where i finished up. Tuff Stuff (american made) 9 inch dual diaphragm booster. 65% more booster area than the 7 inch dual and about 5 to 10 percent more area than a single diaphragm 11 inch booster. By rough calculations line pressure should have increased from 900ish lbs to about 1400-1500 lbs. I had to give Ol Bessy 2 beers to get her to take the upgrade, a snug fit but I wrestled it in and had it up and working in 4.5 hours, including pedal free play and booster pin adjustment.

Figuring it would work fine, I hammered the gas backing out of the garage and then pounced on the brake pedal. Stopped on a dime! And I didn't have to use my Steve Austin Bionic Leg! So, i did it again, same result....then twice forward, same result. Seems easy to modulate, no wall, not touchy at all.

Can't wait to take a ride tomorrow.

Now that's a booster!!!

IMG_20240409_202907053.jpg

Last edited: