1911 is best- video proves it

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There is a compact setting on my night stand right now. Hundreds of rounds through it, had it for years, even killed a couple of deer with it. Never failed to digest anything I have put through it. Yes I have heard the horror stories about them. I have no issue with this one.
Same here. Bought it from a forum member quite awhile back, it goes everywhere I go. Never seen it jam or ftf. Can't say the same about the Ruger my brother carries....

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
He’s not wrong about the weight. I worked at a gun store off and on for 10 years and very few people bought 1911s for carry guns. Even shorter lightweight aluminum frame officer type models weren’t popular with the carry crowd. Also, people shy away from a gun that should be carried “cocked and locked.” And to be honest, I steered newer and less experienced gun owners away from 1911s purely for that reason. If you aren’t comfortable carrying a gun with the hammer cocked then a 1911 is not for you.

I carry a full size Kimber Custom Target II concealed quite often. Is it heavy? Yes. But I still love carrying it. And 1911s have a pretty slim design so they sit pretty good, at least for me, as a carry gun.

I’ll take my 1911 over any polymer gun.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
He’s not wrong about the weight. I worked at a gun store off and on for 10 years and very few people bought 1911s for carry guns. Even shorter lightweight aluminum frame officer type models weren’t popular with the carry crowd. Also, people shy away from a gun that should be carried “cocked and locked.” And to be honest, I steered newer and less experienced gun owners away from 1911s purely for that reason. If you aren’t comfortable carrying a gun with the hammer cocked then a 1911 is not for you.

I carry a full size Kimber Custom Target II concealed quite often. Is it heavy? Yes. But I still love carrying it. And 1911s have a pretty slim design so they sit pretty good, at least for me, as a carry gun.

I’ll take my 1911 over any polymer gun.

You make a great point - 1911 style pistols require training

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I still tote my boat anchor Sig 228.

Mainly because:
1) I carried it a lot and I'm used to it.
2) I had the most training with it.

Sure ain't because it's light weight.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
You make a great point - 1911 style pistols require training
They do. Any gun requires training but semi autos and especially 1911 style guns require more if you are going to carry.

Revolvers are “idiot proof.” They don’t jam. You don’t have to cock a hammer. Point and pull the trigger. If it doesn’t fire then just do it again. No racking slides, clearing jams, dropping mags, fumbling with safeties/hammers. Just pull the damn tigger.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Revolvers

totally agree

when "new shooters" ask me what to get, I 100% recommend a revolver as the first gun
actually two revolvers - a "large caliber (usually 38, sometimes 32) and a 22 that matches - the 22 allows a LOT of training value

and not a snub nose

some heed that advice... the idiots don't

(yeah,,.I'm an arse)

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They all require training if you want to utilize them for what they were designed for or should I say maximize their potential. I would guess at least 50% or more handguns are feel good sales. They are bought, taken out shot less than 100 times never to be shot again that many times again in a single outing just to make the owner feel better about their safety. Are they more safe? Well that is a double edged sword, I am sure for the most part slightly better than unarmed, but not near as good as they would be as if they had plenty of practice or professional training.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I love me a .45.
A standard 1911 is light for me.
I have gotten used to the Para's.

Agree totally with WM on the "new gun" person. I usually suggest a .357 mag. Teach them or tell them to practice with .38's until they get used to that recoil. Then, let them step up to .357's. Seemed to work before. I've not taught anyone since the price blowups.