16 gauge buckshot factory loads

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Although I will use this for still hunting, I figured it might get a little more pertinent feedback here.

I’ve got a 16 gauge double that I’d like to kill a deer with. The only factory load I’ve found is the Federal Blue Box 1 buck load. It patterns this load ok, but I’d like to see if I can find something it likes a little better. Being as I don’t reload for shotguns currently, I’m limited to factory stuff.

Anyone know where I might find some different loads to try?

Cornbread

Eight Pointer
I’m pretty sure I have some different ones if I can find them, I know if I don’t my dad has a 16 gauge slug gun he bought years ago, if I can find them I will bring them in October

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You may be able to find a #2 or #3 buck but it’s doubtful.

00b doesn’t stack well in it and really can only be done by hand if you reload. Still. It is not known to be a good load from a 16. I’ve not tried it. I know a handful of folks that have and no one I recall being impressed by it. There is a forum dedicated to 16 gauge reloading.

#1 is about as good as it gets for that bore.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You may be able to find a #2 or #3 buck but it’s doubtful.

00b doesn’t stack well in it and really can only be done by hand if you reload. Still. It is not known to be a good load from a 16. I’ve not tried it. I know a handful of folks that have and no one I recall being impressed by it. There is a forum dedicated to 16 gauge reloading.

#1 is about as good as it gets for that bore.
I’m cool with using #1 buck, I’d just like to find a different load to try, this one isn’t quite what I had hoped for.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you ever decide to reload 16 gauge, you can make about anything. I was having trouble finding components for various recipes. One of the local folks showed me some ropes.

I quote “you will never find components for most 16 gauge loads. Load what you can and try not to get crazy with it. It’s all you can do”.

I am ashamed to say I have stuck to his words. Mix/match hulls, primers, wads, shot......

Ill load up some buckshot if I can get my hands on some. I’ll need some filler...Cheerios probably won’t work on buckshot.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you ever decide to reload 16 gauge, you can make about anything. I was having trouble finding components for various recipes. One of the local folks showed me some ropes.

I quote “you will never find components for most 16 gauge loads. Load what you can and try not to get crazy with it. It’s all you can do”.

I am ashamed to say I have stuck to his words. Mix/match hulls, primers, wads, shot......

Ill load up some buckshot if I can get my hands on some. I’ll need some filler...Cheerios probably won’t work on buckshot.
Maybe one day I will get into it. For now I just mess with my rifle stuff.

There used to be an old man that hunted with us in Ga years ago. He was a 16 ga fanatic. He used them for everything. I was helping unload his truck when he got into camp late one night, and saw all his reloads. He had them labeled by critter and gun. Deer/ Sweet 16, Squirrel/Ithaca 37, Rabbit/ 311A, etc. There was some crossover of course, I remember he had some loaded up for Squirrel for his Sweet 16.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I checked my stash and I have about 10 boxes of the Blue box fed's and 5 of remington 16 ga sluggers. thought I had something different .