150 gr core lokt. 250 yards

Kane_b

Six Pointer
Shot a buck at bout 256 yards on my rangefinder. 7mm mag 150 gr core lokt, he ran 10 yards, good blood trail, no blood at where he stood. But when i looked at him after cleaning and everything the exit wound was tiny, barely bigger then the entry. Ribs on both sides had quarter size holes. Top of heart was hit and lungs busted but not sure why it didn't expand with high velocity at that range. Just curious but either way dead deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like ditch banks issue with the .243
I've never killed a deer with a rifle that bleed like a broadhead wound.
30-30
7mm
30-06
And 12 and 20ga slugs.

The .223 killed em like the 30-06

Through the lungs

Now a high shoulder with the big guns dropped them and the .223 didn't
But the .223 in the neck below the head drops them as far as I've killed one. 220yds

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
My longest kill on a deer was at about 300m using Remington .308 Win 150 gr CoreLokt out of a 18" FAL in south Texas. Dropped it right there, don't remember the exit hole as it was back in 89'.

CD

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Used corelocts on moose. 220 grain exit wound was about the size of a silver dollar but filled with lung tissue so not much blood. I don't recall any other exit wounds two mushrooms bullets were recovered in moose. I was pretty happy with. Not sure why you didn't get expansion.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry buy given the damage you describe that bullet did expand. destroyed lungs and heart are not from a non expanded bullet. also the quater sized holes in rib cage can only come from an expanded bullet.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry buy given the damage you describe that bullet did expand. destroyed lungs and heart are not from a non expanded bullet. also the quater sized holes in rib cage can only come from an expanded bullet.

x2 ^

The bullet did expand. The hide is very elastic thus the small exit hole.

<>< Fish

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^^x3
I agree, a quarter size hole means the bullet expanded probably 3-4 fold +. You will get larger exit wounds when ribs are exploded or the bullet itself explodes. A 7mm bullet has a diameter of .284, with a quarter being about an inch. The hide will open up and contract with the pass through.
I'd say it worked as designed....

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Also depends on the core lokts. I have seen the round nose ones leave holes 2"+ in diameter or better on exit. The pointed ones won't expand quite that much. My father wouldn't shoot anything in an '06 but 180 gr. round nose core lokts. They were absolutely devastating as far as exit wounds.

Even after me proving how much trajectory he was loosing at 350 yards with the exact same bullet in the pointed design he still wouldn't change.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You all are making me want to break out my 300 BO again.
Shooting a 125 BT it would leave a blood trail that Stevie Wonder could follow.
But most the time they were DRT and it looked like a crime scene.