125 gr vs 100 gr broadhead

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use the weight forward bolts so I haven't found that 25 grains makes a huge difference in accuracy. As long as I set me scope for the broadhead that I'm using at the time I'm good to go .

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I use 100s since I have good Fox and rather have the few FPS than 3lbs of energy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
125gn broad heads usually have longer thicker ferrules and don't have flight charesitics as good as smaller 100gn heads IMO.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
125gn broad heads usually have longer thicker ferrules and don't have flight charesitics as good as smaller 100gn heads IMO.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
Ditto. If you want the extra weight up front, I’d recommend looking into the weighted inserts. You can find inserts that range from 10gr up through 100gr or so and they won’t catch wind like bigger broadheads.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Depends on overall arrow weight. The normal accepted FOC for hunting arrow setups is higher than what you would use for 3d or rarget, and the recommendation is roughly 12 to 15 %. So with a lighter arrow that may mean you're looking at 100g head, and for a heavier arrow you're more likely to wind up with a 125g head. I think you want to think in terms of the entire system.

No doubt that if you're good enough to make a light head work with a heavy arrow you can use it, but that would be breaking with conventional wisdom. For the extra 8 fps that the light head will likely provide, with the barely noticeable change in trajectory as well (except at longer ranges), my own preference is to go with the heavier head.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I shoot 125 grain rage extremes out of my Parker Xbow and 100 grain hypos out of my Matthews solo cam. It’s all about shot placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk