12 gauge Load data

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
I cant seem to find much online on load data for 12 gauge 3.5" buckshot loads. 00 and #1 buck, trying to match performance of winchester double x 15 pellet 00 at 1450fps. Ill be loading imr blue or winchester wsf powder. Trying to avoid dissecting a double x to weigh it individually

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
YouTube bubbarountree outdoors then put 3.5" buckshot loads in the search. There is a crapload of them. Wade knows his stuff and had done hours of research. I'll go ahead and warn you components are like hens teeth right now. If you don't already have them most likely you will be waiting.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Thanks. Got 1500 rounds worth being shipped my way right now. Only way i could get anything was bulk order

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
So you found -7 -25# bags/175 pounds of buckshot?
I sure do need some [maybe 2 bags] and am willing to drive to you and pay in cash.

Last edited:

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
I got 1500 rounds of pre primed hulls, enough wadding & gas seals, buffer and powder. Im pouring my own 00 buckshot with a mold. I did find 10lb of nickel plated #1 buck that im gonna try

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
Would love to get into reloading buckshot. Im just having a hard time getting started, because I cant find the supplies that I need.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Would love to get into reloading buckshot. Im just having a hard time getting started, because I cant find the supplies that I need.
I had to order for 4 different places. Most came from ballistic products, wads from precision reloading, powder from midsouth shooter, and tools from midwayusa. I brought the hulls preprimed so i dont need a press & im gonna roll crimp em. Stuffs out there it just takes some digging to find it. With the way things are going in the world right now im gonna buy up some more stuff next paycheck. & the mold is coming from martys arms. Found a place that has plenty of lyman #2 in stock. If i get desperate for lead ill dig into my stock of bad car batteries

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, stuff is a PITA right now. I have been reloading lead buckshot for 3 years. Going down the rabbit hole to TSS and have most of the components but waiting on a couple. The bad thing is the place has what I want in bazillion quantity I just have to wait to they decide to package in smaller quantity.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
I had to order for 4 different places. Most came from ballistic products, wads from precision reloading, powder from midsouth shooter, and tools from midwayusa. I brought the hulls preprimed so i dont need a press & im gonna roll crimp em. Stuffs out there it just takes some digging to find it. With the way things are going in the world right now im gonna buy up some more stuff next paycheck
Yep, stuff is a PITA right now. I have been reloading lead buckshot for 3 years. Going down the rabbit hole to TSS and have most of the components but waiting on a couple. The bad thing is the place has what I want in bazillion quantity I just have to wait to they decide to package in smaller quantity.
man thats the only way i can find anything lol 1500 piece or better

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mine are Lee, but I had them for years. I used them for slingshot projectiles before I ever started buckshot reloading.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I cant seem to find much online on load data for 12 gauge 3.5" buckshot loads. 00 and #1 buck, trying to match performance of winchester double x 15 pellet 00 at 1450fps. Ill be loading imr blue or winchester wsf powder. Trying to avoid dissecting a double x to weigh it individually

I have several editions of the Lyman manuals and I can screenshot that data if it will help get you started. PM me.
I was able to get a #4 buckshot mold last fall.
Still waiting to break it in.
I will be loading defensive rounds and some close quarter stuff too.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Thought id share this- i cut open a winchester double x 12ga 3.5" for science its contents were
1.753 oz of shot (copper plated 00, 15 pellet)
50gr of buffer (alot more coarse than bpi original buffer)
2 wads (one was 3/8" the other tore during removal so my best guess is another 3/8")
A cupped gas seal
46.5gr of powder, not sure on the blend

i spilled maybe a grain and a half of powder that didnt make it across the scale, same with the buffer

im not certain what blend of powder is in it, assuming its a winchester powder. Seems to be a finer powder than the IMR blue ive been using. I thought i was testing the limits with 34 grains of blue behind bpi buffer and 1.75 oz of #1 buckshot

also for what its worth, im not overly happy with the felt wads ive been using. Probly be fine if i star crimped em but im really having to push it to get the overshot card to seal with the roll crimper. Oh well, felt wads was all i could get at the time. Ive got some better ones coming

22LR

Twelve Pointer
Thought id share this- i cut open a winchester double x 12ga 3.5" for science its contents were
1.753 oz of shot (copper plated 00, 15 pellet)
50gr of buffer (alot more coarse than bpi original buffer)
2 wads (one was 3/8" the other tore during removal so my best guess is another 3/8")
A cupped gas seal
46.5gr of powder, not sure on the blend

i spilled maybe a grain and a half of powder that didnt make it across the scale, same with the buffer

im not certain what blend of powder is in it, assuming its a winchester powder. Seems to be a finer powder than the IMR blue ive been using. I thought i was testing the limits with 34 grains of blue behind bpi buffer and 1.75 oz of #1 buckshot

also for what its worth, im not overly happy with the felt wads ive been using. Probly be fine if i star crimped em but im really having to push it to get the overshot card to seal with the roll crimper. Oh well, felt wads was all i could get at the time. Ive got some better ones coming
Those copper plated buckshot are probably a .32 caliber single O buck.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
JB join this page. The admins jointly probably combined have more knowledge of buckshot reloading than all up to date shotgun loading manuals out there. I know several of them and they have helped me personally get on the right track.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
JB join this page. The admins jointly probably combined have more knowledge of buckshot reloading than all up to date shotgun loading manuals out there. I know several of them and they have helped me personally get on the right track.

Thank you!