12/12 - Up and at it

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Only day I’m hunting rifle season up here in the mountains, plan is to slip around a chunk or two of National Forest land that borders Fontana that doesn’t have any roads or road beds that I’ve seen. No plans to get to the first saddle and leeward wind cruising area until after shooting time since I haven’t been too far on this piece, today is about spending time in the woods more than anything else though since I have a full freezer and plans to only shoot something that I consider “good”.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I got a cold and had to miss work today. Gonna head down as soon as I know my wife doesnt have to go out on a call. Gonna try to catch the mid morning early afternoon movement if I can get lucky.

704Josh

Four Pointer
26 degrees and a perfect wind when I sat down this morning. Hope this moon didn’t mess me up too bad. Normally seen a few deer by now, woods are dead quiet.

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
Nice work Shaggy! I think I’m coming down with the same ailment you’ve got. Better tell the boss and head towards the woods.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Congratulations Shaggy. I actually have a cold, but today is my scheduled day off. I saw the usual doe and fawn, some hens, and heard a gobbler. That was up until about 8:15, when I hacked up a lung. Didn't see :donk:donk:donk:donk after that. I got some work to do now. Just glad I got a chance to sit in gods creation this AM.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Slowly easing my way through some thinned pines. I'm being quiet the wind is loud so maybe they wont hear me sneaking around.

Attachments

• 20191212_113325.jpg
    20191212_113325.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 69

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, pretty cold this morning and fairly windy too. Just crawled back up in Yancey Co after a coffee break to sit the rest of the day.
Last day I get to rifle hunt the mountains this season. Gotta work and nasty weather a coming...
Good luck bring big one home wind rough in Wilkes to

Swamp_Donkey

Eight Pointer
I’ll say this, if anyone wants to see a buck the chances are good tonight, with the exception of the moon phase. Barometric pressure is as high as I’ve seen it this hunting season at 30.68”. Someone may bag a late season trophy.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Been perched watching a saddle since about 11, sitting here the rest of the day. Setup initially above where I had bow hunted in September and walked up on a bed while walking down a jack knife ridge. Sit down down below it and the deer came where I thought they would, across the drainage from me and ran right to the base of the laurel thicket that was below me to my left. First it was two together and thought buck and doe since I could see a doe in front and no clue what the other was. Then I heard a little yappy dog out past where they had come from. 5 minutes later or so I was standing up trying to see if they were going to circle on the other side of the ridge I was on and here comes another doe where they had come from. This time there’s a hound dog raising cane on the ridge across from me and I know that’s what had them moving, figure all three were does since I never saw antlers or if that one was a buck he was little and not getting a backpack ride anyway.

Heard that lone doe circle the end of the ridge and eventually she came hopping by me at 30 yards and go back over towards where I’m set up now. Tickled to just have seen any, don’t have many hunts up here under my belt, especially this far west. Saw a bunch of sign here the one and only time I ever stepped foot in here, this morning confirmed there are at least 3 deer on public land in Swain, even if they ran off private lol. No rubs or scrapes however thus far on this small piece but that doesn’t matter, good being out here.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Noticed the deer had a hoof that went straight up in the air

Attachments

• 20191212_150913.jpg
    20191212_150913.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 44

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Up in a spot on public. Have a buddy set up on his first ever deer hunt. Spooked a small doe on hike in and I think that alone got him hooked. Good luck all

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Gonna try and see if I can catch Mr big slipping back to bed after his all night lunar party...

Mr. Kinda Big was still at it this morning at sunrise. Two does wandered around me at first light and went away behind me. 20 minutes later, they come past me from behind but to my surprise, dragging a nice 6 with them. I passed on him and might regret it now. Nothing since.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Back out in the same spot as yesterday. I usually don't like to hunt the same spot two days in a row, but the wind is right and by next week I'll have to stop hunting in this spot. And this is where I killed the buck in November, so I'm hoping lighting strikes again.......

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
tha

That tends to happen on a full moon.

I've tended to shy away from full moon days over the years. Seems so many afternoons were so quiet. I definitely have seen the most deer ever on full moons this year. From about 8am till 2pm has been very hot on the full moons for me this year.

Last edited: