11 year old killed in hunting accident

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Should be a reminder to all to always follow gun handling safety rules...... why attempt to unload a gun and not point it in safe manner? What a freaking tragedy and all of it preventable......

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Heartbreaking event and so avoidable. A single moment in time can be the devastation that none of us think would ever happen with us. When I taught the hunter education course for the Wildlife Commission I used to tell the students that if they believed that they could never accidentally shoot someone then they needed to think long and hard about that because the potential to do it travels with all of us. One absolute is to never load or unload any firearm without controlling the muzzle of that weapon. I know a guy who shot his pickup truck while unloading his 30-06..... at least he was alone and no one was hurt. I feel for the family of that young person and for the pain of the one who shot him. All so sad.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My son is 11 and this is the worst thing I could have read today. 100% preventable. I chastise the boys with their air-soft rifles if I see unsafe handling. Terrible.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
I was happily kicked out of a hunt group many years ago, I made it a point of reminding people about gun safety, to the point of asking them to keep the action open to ensure things are empty. These guys were "weekend warriors" but enjoyed hunting and bringing their kids to the camp, but a good group and enjoyed the whole family aspect, my son wasn't old enough just yet to take.
Saw an 870 laying on the arms of a chair, action closed - we were in for lunch, figure 8 adults and 3 kids roaming around the small cabin, I reached over and opened the action and a 3" 00 buck shot popped out
I wasn't happy, they weren't happy with my reaction - would do it again in a heartbeat, dumbasses be damned

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Someone sent me a photo of his son’s first deer. He had the gun laying over the deer with the muzzle pointing directly at his son’s chest. Those type of photos are a pet peeve of mine.
Mine too, always point the muzzle in a safe direction...

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
this is why I hunt with very few. I've taken the gun from 2 people while hunting. One friend my age and another from a gentleman much older. I've been hit with shot while pheasant hunting. I've had guns shot over my head waterfowl hunting. Had my parents house hit with shot less then 20 feet from me.
I always keep an eye on other hunters around me and have no problem expressing my concerns if my or others safety is in question.
Hunters get complacent. just because you never had an incident does not mean it can not happen.
Muzzle control is usually the case. Always treat your weapon as loaded.
Praying for the young hunter and family. Praying for the guilty party too. No one would ever want this to happen.

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
When I taught the hunter education course for the Wildlife Commission I used to tell the students that if they believed that they could never accidentally shoot someone then they needed to think long and hard about that because the potential to do it travels with all of us.

THIS!!

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Usually during the first few weeks of Grouse season someone will either shoot their partner or the truck in some manner but I didn't hear of any this year, amazingly....

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
it's not always a person that triggers the weapon to fire either, it seems we get more and more alerts for recalls since QC seems to be lacking in a lot of the gun makers factories and gun part factories. That's another reason why it's so important to maintain a safe direction of fire, even if you think you've done EVERYTHING to safety a weapon.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Horrible accident but it should have never happened…

Maintaining gun control is everything and as I’ve been told, every gun is loaded even if you know other wise

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
NC WRC says NC hunters average about five deaths a year from firearms (all species) and five from falls.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Sad but it happens every year.....it will happen again next year as well.....
Yep. No matter how much gun safety you teach, no matter how much it’s pounded into peoples brains about pointing firearms in safe directions, proper unloading/loading of firearms etc. these tragedies will still happen. Simple human error is unavoidable. Even the most diligent and mindful of people make mistakes. Distractions, losing train of thought, and of course simple stupidity and negligence.

Terrible for all involved.