11/4

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Daylight savings and some other stuff got me yesterday so once again couldn’t get a stand out to the spot I wanted. Went to the same stand thinking I’d sit a few hours then hike the other stand down to the cliffs. Beautiful cold morning but kept feeling guilty as squirrels ran everywhere. I picked up 410 shells yesterday to try and get my 8 yo his first squirrel. Then thought about the workload that starts tomorrow afternoon. A basket legal came by and I didn’t hesitate. It was a long shot when he was finally clear but hold felt good. Found foamy blood spray and he had done the three legged shuffle after the shot. Followed the spray for 70 yards and he started down the gorge. Learned my lesson last time, came home for breakfast and coffee then I’ll go track him. A lot of good blood so I’m feeling good about it.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Saw on a local forum a twin of the weird 4/5 that I missed. It was taken in this part of the state. PM’d the lucky hunter and asked if it was nearby along with offering tons of videos. That buck wasn’t a trophy to anyone really but he had me pretty wound up after letting him go so many times then missing him.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Mixed feelings on recovering, Lost our last newish chest freezer this summer. Wife said we are out of space in both regular fridge freezers so when I bring this one home she has a new fridge picked out...... grumble.... should have held out for a monster then the taxidermy bill would dissuade her.

In all seriousness, the rental fridge is for guests and ours has doors being sealed with baby locks so they don’t pop open. I suppose we need a new one.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Found the bucks death bed 100 yards in the woods couldn’t find the buck. Found a weird trail with droplets and after belly crawling found this. Saw the bear at 10’ but too thick to shoot him.

Last edited:

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Dropped my XBow when it got too thick. Chased the bear past his den and over into gorge. Still had sign when daylight ran out. Bear with food just before hibernating and I had no light and a knife. Guess backing out this AM wasn’t the right move.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Most of it was like this16CC189F-DB35-4BFB-960C-AC785F624E79.jpeg3C223B25-B343-4DB0-AB44-6135D9818CDD.jpeg

I’m about done for Archery. I’m out of time for the most part and out of energy. Maybe I’ll get a chance during late Flintlock or something.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
Be careful up there. Sounds like you were about to go Davey Crockett on that bear. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Last year the bear dropped the buck and ran. Neighbor shot it and it was almost 600#s. This one might go 250 but it’s on the residential side of the gorge and is half tame from being hand fed. Archery Season for him will be out before I’m back. Guess I could always try and catch him at his den during rifle but he’s no dummy. He’s on cliffs choked with laurels. It’ll be hard to sneak up on him there.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Kill him. Just, kill him. This time your deer.... next time someone's child ???
People just don't realize what they're doing when they try and feed the "cute" predator.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
We had a very large one maul the neighbors Retriever or Lab and kill it.

The one last year was massive and had no issue carrying off 175# buck on cliffs. Grabbed it from 200 ft off a main tourist hiking trail.

This one grabbed this buck right near houses and it’s den is just above another less populated trail.

Unfortunately, I know where he’ll b for at least the next 3-4 days and could intercept him between his cache and den but I’m driving to CT for work. I’ve already picked out a stand spot on the cliffs for rifle season. Depending on weather might have to drag him from his den.

There are a ton of bears here with the remoteness, neighborhoods, and tourism. I often see them across the valley hiking and have pics of them near the tourist train. There are literally thousands of tourists crammed in that area too. 66F9C558-38CD-4D19-A3BA-7D60B5CC8A85.jpegB430C2B4-FE71-4509-A507-1137CA601E3B.jpeg