11/21live

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A first for me.... in a deer stand that last week was surrounded by water. I think I'm the first to hunt it since the flash flood.... we now have a boat in the brush next to the stand. :D

View attachment 55161
Need to share that one in thread about odd things found in the woods.

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's pretty interesting because that's pretty close to our pattern as well. Usually an hour or 2 after sunup then mid day and again around 4pm. You hunt in the east or more central to western NC?
This particular place is in Southwestern Virginia... lol

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Hunted all but 11am to 12:10 pm.
Saw a total of 24 deer.
Only 7 were bucks. The biggest being a decent sized 4 pt. It was sparring with a big cowhorn for about 10 minutes 55 yards in front of me. Lots of sitting, stretching, and periodic standing to help the leg along.
What a gorgeous day.

Except for all the tree rats.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
4 of us hunting....seen 2. Par for the course this year.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

SurferGuy08

Six Pointer
My buddy and I went out this evening and 10mins before sunset I hear him shoot. Then he text me and and says he shot a doe but wasn’t 100% sure if it was a good hit and he could see it laying down in the field. Well it ended up being an okay hit and very easy recovery. Glad he got his first NC deer.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Slipped into a small public tract,late.. saw some fresh sign, but nothing in the tracks. Brown water snake almost got a 40 cal though.. til I saw the orange belly. Thinking I need a freaking boat to get better access..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

george426f

Four Pointer
Ok so my morning started off like just about any morning hunt. Got in the tree about 45 minutes before light. Just went right up behind my house. The tree I set up in is probably 60yds from my front porch. Bumped a deer walking to the tree but it didn’t blow. Climbed up and got setup in my tree diaper. Right about safe shooting light I heard a twig break, looked over and saw a couple does heading my way, then another, then another, then 2 more. I had 6 does making their way towards me up the hill a little so they were eye level and higher. Then came this buck down the same trail, nose to the ground. Saw the rack and decided I would take him if he gave me the chance. I was a little worried about all the eyes though with not much leaf cover. But then the does either caught my smell from the thermals starting to pull up the hill or they didn’t like that buck coming in. They started running up the hill and made a big 180 and went back out the way they came. The buck followed their trail until he got directly uphill from me and the. I believe he caught a whiff of the tinks 69 I had out and pulled a 180 and headed down the deer trail in my direction. He got to 12 yards and I drew my bow back and he just hung out behind the some thickets. I held my draw for what seemed like 3 days and he finally stepped out. I let my arrow fly and heard that nice smacking sound. Saw him run down the hill but the arrow didn’t pass through and my knock was a little farther back than ideal. I assumed liver but he was quartering away so I was hoping for lung as well. Went in the house for about 45min then went to track some blood. Saw him at the bottom of the hill right off of my property on the neighbor’s property (which is for sale),he was bedded down but still alive. I decided to just sit and watch him expire. About 5 minutes of sitting and I hear a vehicle coming up the driveway. It’s someone coming to look at that property and the buck is bedded 15 yards from where they park in some brush. I thought oh great they are gonna push him. I run down there and tell the guy I have a deer down and I’m waiting on it to die. About that time he got up and started hobbling up the hill. He didn’t make it far before he bedded down again. I asked the guy if he’d keep an eye on him while I ran back to my house to get my bow to finish him off. The guy said sure lol. Went for my bow. The buck got up and tried to run one more time before I was able to get a clear shot on him. Double lunged him he ran back down the hill and crashed in my neighbor’s flower bed, head hanging out in the driveway. Then I get a text from my brother, he killed his first deer ever this morning and it was a nice buck I saw over at his house a couple weeks ago. It’s been a good day to say the least. Here is a pic of my brother’s deer

Attachments

• DC34AC2C-E3C3-4219-B2CB-EB73D1209DA9.jpeg
    DC34AC2C-E3C3-4219-B2CB-EB73D1209DA9.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 43

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ok so my morning started off like just about any morning hunt. Got in the tree about 45 minutes before light. Just went right up behind my house. The tree I set up in is probably 60yds from my front porch. Bumped a deer walking to the tree but it didn’t blow. Climbed up and got setup in my tree diaper. Right about safe shooting light I heard a twig break, looked over and saw a couple does heading my way, then another, then another, then 2 more. I had 6 does making their way towards me up the hill a little so they were eye level and higher. Then came this buck down the same trail, nose to the ground. Saw the rack and decided I would take him if he gave me the chance. I was a little worried about all the eyes though with not much leaf cover. But then the does either caught my smell from the thermals starting to pull up the hill or they didn’t like that buck coming in. They started running up the hill and made a big 180 and went back out the way they came. The buck followed their trail until he got directly uphill from me and the. I believe he caught a whiff of the tinks 69 I had out and pulled a 180 and headed down the deer trail in my direction. He got to 12 yards and I drew my bow back and he just hung out behind the some thickets. I held my draw for what seemed like 3 days and he finally stepped out. I let my arrow fly and heard that nice smacking sound. Saw him run down the hill but the arrow didn’t pass through and my knock was a little farther back than ideal. I assumed liver but he was quartering away so I was hoping for lung as well. Went in the house for about 45min then went to track some blood. Saw him at the bottom of the hill right off of my property on the neighbor’s property (which is for sale),he was bedded down but still alive. I decided to just sit and watch him expire. About 5 minutes of sitting and I hear a vehicle coming up the driveway. It’s someone coming to look at that property and the buck is bedded 15 yards from where they park in some brush. I thought oh great they are gonna push him. I run down there and tell the guy I have a deer down and I’m waiting on it to die. About that time he got up and started hobbling up the hill. He didn’t make it far before he bedded down again. I asked the guy if he’d keep an eye on him while I ran back to my house to get my bow to finish him off. The guy said sure lol. Went for my bow. The buck got up and tried to run one more time before I was able to get a clear shot on him. Double lunged him he ran back down the hill and crashed in my neighbor’s flower bed, head hanging out in the driveway. Then I get a text from my brother, he killed his first deer ever this morning and it was a nice buck I saw over at his house a couple weeks ago. It’s been a good day to say the least. Here is a pic of my brother’s deer
Nice!