11/1

Apike524

Spike
November is here, cold weather and calm wind. Expect today to be a good one. Good luck guys and stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
70 + mph winds and I have to go to the local site and get some stuff done but I went out for a few hours. Decided late and almost light. Cutting in on the access road I saw a doe right where I saw the buck trailing last night. I circled a different way and sure enough he came by at 8 A.M. I reminded myself of the last one and aimed higher to compensate for the angle. Wind was howling and he was fast walking. I was on the spot as he cleared a sapling and I let out a quick “ERP” to stop him. In the split second it took me to depress the trigger he spun 90 degrees and started running. No pause, just bolted. My brain registered a split second too late and the arrow flew.

I’ve never had a deer not pause at least for a second or two. I’m still amazed at how agile he was considering he wasn’t alert or nervous prior. He was just checking his scrapes.

I circled for a few hours just in case I caught something but nothing. I can vividly recall the sight picture as the arrow was leaving and he had already spun around. With a forward high point of aim it was nothing but air. Had I held back a few inches I might have caught him mid turn.

This deer has 9 lives it seems. He’s not even a real large rack. Just an odd mature 5 that never grew tines.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Just wrapped up a meeting. About an hour from home. Temps dropped 30 degrees but still breezy. I won’t be able to climb to the sweet spot at 3 A.M. because of a Scout food drive I didn’t know about but right after I’m climbing.
Monday and Tuesday AM I’m local for yearly insurance physical so I’ll suffer and hunt both days before going back to CT.

muzzymomentless

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Deer moved early this afternoon. Saw a decent 8 with another small buck, and a doe buy herself all before 5:00. Nice sunset after that.
f9ed19a3b377573414ac6711152de03c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Yep. They were on their feet. Saw 5 bucks with the biggest being a 115-120” 8pt. All got a pass. Quite a bit of sparring, pushing, scraping, and rubbing going on.