1 Mallard limit next season?

dbohunts

Six Pointer
From what I have been reading the non native thing stems from genetic work that shows a higher degree of domestic duck in the Atlantic vs other populations.

Seems like I recall reading an article or hearing a podcast that referred to a study that said it was almost statistically impossible to shoot an Atlantic flyway mallard that did not have " tamey" DNA. Which makes a strong case for the decline.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Seems like I recall reading an article or hearing a podcast that referred to a study that said it was almost statistically impossible to shoot an Atlantic flyway mallard that did not have " tamey" DNA. Which makes a strong case for the decline.
I've possibly seen the impossible then. I've seen 2 mallards killed here banded in Saskatchewan

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I've possibly seen the impossible then. I've seen 2 mallards killed here banded in Saskatchewan

We get quite a few ducks wintering here from the Saskatchewan province, not unusual. They are Central and Mississippi flyway birds technically speaking. But the crux of the matter is true born and breed Atlantic Flyway reared birds that don’t contain the western gene .. to a great extent. With the hybridization of the tamies. to them, it just keeps getting more and more tainted.
I’m all for eliminating the sale of tamies.

As for limit reductions. Would be a first on me hearing that. But keep in mind, it’s the USF&WS that makes those rules. States can only offer what the Feds prescribe within that particular framework. I’ll let all know what I hear as to mallard limits later on.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I’m all for eliminating the sale of tamies.

heck, my hen just hatched 6 10 days ago - dog training birds,, have to get my pups ready for their duck search tests!!

I don't sell them though (but I had to buy them earlier) - we need them for our dog training - but we are the odd folks out on that method of testing

shurshot

Ten Pointer
heck, my hen just hatched 6 10 days ago - dog training birds,, have to get my pups ready for their duck search tests!!

I don't sell them though (but I had to buy them earlier) - we need them for our dog training - but we are the odd folks out on that method of testing

No problem using them for that Woodmoose. It’s the “Frost” mallards that are sold to pond owners to attract other ducks. Those birds will later acclimate with the wild birds, only to breed and poison the gene pool later on. Hard to compete with “live decoys” also.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
I have just made some inquiries to see if this is true. At this time it is not policy. My biggest issues with the bird count by air is that it is not possible to get an accurate mallard count in Eastern NC. Most of our mallards are in the flooded timber and swamps of North Eastern NC. You can not count them by flying over like you can divers. I know that they can get a count in the summer but as mallards get older they prefer more shade and stay out of the sun. Making some calls now. I hope this is not true. Mallards in the timber is my favorite and taking us down to two was bad enough. I have spent a lot of time, money and energy developing my green tree reservoir areas to where they hold mallards. If their science is correct, I will support the decision. I think the major issue is loss of habitat to development. We are lucky that we have the Alligator, Mattamaskeet, Roanoke and Pocosin Lake Refuges in our area.. Mallards have to have somewhere to go to get away from the pressure.

Last edited:

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
I was just informed that a reduction on mallard limits is not expected next season. The USFWS did not do a breeding survey last year due to covid. There is no change expected from current year.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I was just informed that a reduction on mallard limits is not expected next season. The USFWS did not do a breeding survey last year due to covid. There is no change expected from current year.

That is interesting Clark. Guess if no survey was done then they keep the status quo unless some other glaring factor throws the protocol out of wack? I know estimated harvest numbers also play a big role in management decisions but not sure how much emphasis without the survey count can be placed on setting season bag limits, restrictions, and season dates. Lot for them to decipher I reckon.

Below is a release last week from the AFC (Atlantic Flyway Council) and USF&W regarding a survey they sent out last month to random waterfowl hunters regarding mallards. Kind of long but very informative.

For immediate release:
The Atlantic Flyway Council and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) are developing a harvest strategy for eastern mallards in the Atlantic Flyway. Strategies already exist in several places across the United States for various species (e.g. pintails, scaup, canvasbacks, Canada geese). The eastern mallard breeding population reached a peak of 1.1 million in 2004 but has declined since then. The cause of the eastern mallard population decline has not yet been determined, but the Atlantic Flyway Council and their conservation partners are continuing to study the causes and potential solutions for the decline.
Harvest strategies are a tool to help wildlife managers improve populations of certain species while maximizing the length and bag limits of the regular duck season for all other species. The process also provides transparency regarding how bag limits and season lengths are set, by establishing specific regulations in place under restrictive, moderate, and liberal seasons as well as the population sizes at which each season alternative will be implemented. Establishing moderate and liberal season alternatives for the eastern mallard strategy are fairly simple because biologists in the Atlantic Flyway have experience and data on 2 to 4 bird bag limits for mallards under various season lengths. However, if eastern mallard populations continue declining, waterfowl managers could find themselves in “uncharted waters” and this possibility needs to be accounted for in the harvest strategy. It is important that managers proactively obtain data on hunter preferences so that a restrictive option that would maximize hunter satisfaction during times of low mallard numbers can be developed and included in the strategy.

To obtain this hunter preference data, this January, a random sample of Atlantic Flyway waterfowlers are receiving email surveys asking for input on various potential mallard harvest regulations. The purpose of this survey is to help inform possible season length and bag configurations in the harvest strategy, not to determine the upcoming season’s bag limit for mallards.

Here are three things to know about the harvest strategy and the survey:
1. The survey does not automatically mean a reduction in bag limits is forthcoming. Biologists need to proactively develop bag limits for liberal, moderate, and restrictive season alternatives. An eastern mallard harvest strategy will identify the appropriate bag limit based on the most current mallard population estimates and expected harvest rate from each bag limit configuration. The population estimates from breeding surveys each year will trigger liberal, moderate or restrictive hunting seasons, which will be outlined in the harvest strategy.
2. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service sets seasonal limits in consultation with state wildlife agencies. The USFWS takes recommendations from the Atlantic Flyway Council to set seasonal hunting season lengths, bag limits, and allowable dates. The Council and USFWS use sound science and population estimates to determine the seasons. An eastern mallard harvest strategy will guide those decisions. The harvest strategy for mallards is separate from the process used to set the general duck seasons (season length and daily bag limit). For more information on how the general duck seasons are set, visit here.

3. Make your opinion heard if you received the survey. Waterfowlers who receive the survey are being asked what type of harvest package they would want, if a restrictive season is necessary at some point in the future. Hunter feedback will be used to shape how the Atlantic Flyway Council and USFWS apply the harvest package options within the hunting seasons through the harvest strategy. The Atlantic Flyway representatives do not want to assume what the hunting community would like to see for a harvest package. If you receive an eastern mallard survey, your input will be valuable to shape future waterfowl harvest packages that are supported by hunter preference. “

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
I received the survey and completed it. I think a reduction is coming, if not next year then most likely the year after.

Clark

Ten Pointer
1 bird species restrictions suck. I kill a canvasback every decade or so (I'm due!). The last can I shot came in perfectly in a group - I shot once, killed a drake - and I can still see those bright heads floating through the decoys while I had to let them go. Not that I hold a grudge or anything.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Sounds like they are getting rid of october season... only 1 mallard... 1 blackhead ... 1 pintail.... really making NC duck hunting a handicapped sport. Whats next, take wood ducks back to 2???

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like they are getting rid of october season... only 1 mallard... 1 blackhead ... 1 pintail.... really making NC duck hunting a handicapped sport. Whats next, take wood ducks back to 2???

Selling my maycraft next year is becoming an easier decision by the moment! I always loved the October season over the years. It was just about always an easy limit. And 1 mallard? 1 bluebill? That’s not even worth buying a duck stamp

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
If you see a mallard in NC in July it is an invasive. Just like Canada Geese. We should have a mallard season starting from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Resident Canada Geese all year round. :ROFLMAO:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I always get a laugh out of the Currituck crowd with a lanyard full of club bands. If it weren’t for raised birds they wouldn’t know what a mallard looked like.
Vast majority of the mallards we kill in currituck are wild birds. Maybe kill a handful of tamies each year, usually when its foggy and they get lost. Come in just like wild mallards too. Our club killed over 100 mallards last year., all but maybe 3 or 4 were wild.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Selling my maycraft next year is becoming an easier decision by the moment! I always loved the October season over the years. It was just about always an easy limit. And 1 mallard? 1 bluebill? That’s not even worth buying a duck stamp
Yeah we are gonna jump on the october season issue and send letters and emails and make calls. Hopefully we can change their minds Main reason I was against new seasons/splitting the states. Stuff always seems to get worse rather than better. If it aint broke, dont fix it. This years season parameters seemed pretty good to me.
Worst part is they would probably tack those 4 days on to middle of december, the worst time to hunt.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
For me personally (after all, most everyone wants a season that’s tailored for them), I would like to see them keeping 2 days in mid to late October for the coastal zone and add the other two days to early November. Reasoning? That’s traditionally when most all species of ducks are arriving per the calendar which gives more hunters more opportunities to find all types of birds spread over a wider range of habitat. I’m not against shooting mainly woodies and teal in a first Saturday October opener (as in past) but a two to three week delay past that time sees a ton more birds in our coastal waters. And chances are it will be a littler cooler, thus more comfortable.

I really liked the explanation of things from that joint press release on mallards by AFC and USF&W. It really speaks to how and why things are done in the decision making process that makes up each season and the importance of obtaining feedback from the waterfowling community.

labman63

Ten Pointer
It's not often you can kill a 4 mallard limit in central NC anyway but when they do show up in certain spots it's nice to be able to. They don't stay long so not a big issue in my mind. I do not believe hunters affect numbers anyway. Habitat and predators up north needs to be where the focus is in my opinion.

todobien

Eight Pointer
From what I have been reading the non native thing stems from genetic work that shows a higher degree of domestic duck in the Atlantic vs other populations.
Ok. Now I follow what folks are meaning. No surprise the way they have been released for decades.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
It's not often you can kill a 4 mallard limit in central NC anyway but when they do show up in certain spots it's nice to be able to. They don't stay long so not a big issue in my mind. I do not believe hunters affect numbers anyway. Habitat and predators up north needs to be where the focus is in my opinion.

Agree with this on the present times but up until a few years ago we always killed a ton of mallards every year in the Piedmont. Sometimes it’s all we would shoot. The idea of having a 1 mallard limit then would’ve made me quit.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Exactly....because of the abundance of mallards back then, a limit of 4 was set appropriately. Today, AF mallard numbers have been reduced by close to 60%. That’s a tremendous amount and enough to have made biologist and wildlife managers implement the two bird bag reduction a couple of years back. Other species are/ have been specifically managed (scaup, pintails, etc.) to ensure their vitality, mallards are no different.

So all this chatter the limit will be reduced to one next year appears to be just speculation. But based on what I’m hearing (and some others), it doesn’t appear likely it will change. But if it does, I’m sure there will be info/data to back it up that we all should be privy to and the public can then decide if it was a just decision.