1/3 acre Kill plot to ... Orchard?

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
Hi,
I'm thinking of taking a 1/3 area on my property and stop doing a questionable annual food plot and put some fruit trees instead. These would be for deer vs human.

Thoughts? Alternatively I was going to put perineal clover.

Thx

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
Huh. I completely spaced on clover for immediate ground cover.

For persimmon, are you talking about the native stuff or Japanese? Is there a thought for apple vs pear vs other?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I would find stuff growing in that area and move it rather than spend money on something that might not do well. I tried that apple/pear thing years ago. It was a constant battle for me with red cedar fungus, blight and trying to keep them pruned for maximum harvest. I gave up and started throwing a little fertalizer around the edges where persimmon, grapes and blackberrys were.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can have wild critters eating your apples and pears, or you can eat them..you can't have both.
We have lots of pears and apples in our back yard as well as native and Japanese persimmons. We encourage wildlife to feed in our yard, we don't usually get a single thing except the native persimmons. The tree is so huge that even the critters can't eat them all.

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
You can have wild critters eating your apples and pears, or you can eat them..you can't have both.
We have lots of pears and apples in our back yard as well as native and Japanese persimmons. We encourage wildlife to feed in our yard, we don't usually get a single thing except the native persimmons. The tree is so huge that even the critters can't eat them all.
I agree. Where this plot would be I would have no intention to eat the fruit. I'll think about it and reply back here when I decide what I'm going to do. Thank you.

mtnhunter280

Button Buck
I have the same setup.Fruit tress beat an annual food plot every day.I don't shoot deer on mine but feed the wildlife with it.The clover benefits the trees and provides a food source as well.
Hands down,pears beat apples any day.They are more reliable producers,need much less chill hours to produce fruit,are less disease stricken and produce at least four times as much fruit pound wise per acre than apples are capable of.
Persimmons are a big plus as well and require basically no human input for output and thrive on their own.
Good luck with your orchard.