“A deer” or “ The deer “

bb1970

Six Pointer
Let me start by saying I have a guy that I work with that seems to make it a race to see who kills a deer first or who kills the biggest and sometimes it’s hard not to get caught up in that .I have to really think about the last year that I went without killing a deer probably not since the turn of the century anyway. But as I sat pondering the past deer season I try to figure out why I haven’t used a single tag this year. Well I could say ” I haven’t gotten to hunt much this year “only 4 mornings and 3 evenings “ which is the least I’ve hunted in many years,but that ain’t it cause I seen plenty .as I look over so many posts where people say “ I’m eating tag soup,I’m deerless this year,no luck this year and on and on, I can’t help but think was I really looking for ”A” deer ? My mind goes back on the season pasted at the deer I’ve seen , several smaller 4’s,6’s and tons of spikes and does. And I think back to the first Saturday of ml season at 2:30 in the afternoon when I seen one of the 4 shooters that I’d had on trail cam a Big wide 8 pt only to realize he was moving real slow ,breathing real hard and missing his left antler. It was obvious to me he had just been in a fight and lost ...... so I choose to let him walk because he only had one antler that was the only opportunity that I got at one of the deer that I had on my shooting list.So it got me thinking , and I know some folks like to shoot does some like any deer but we are all different as for me , my family dont eat a lot of venison so that’s why I choose to shoot only bigger deer , cause if I ain’t going to eat it I sure want shoot it . So I’ve came to realize it’s not A deer it’s The deer that Im after so from this year forward I’m going to try to keep that in mind when folks start and they always do towards the end of the season “got to get me a deer, seasons bout over “ it’s not A deer it’s The deer I’m hunting and not put so much pressure just to kill a deer .I know I’ll probably catch a lot of flack about choosing to hunt the way I do, but to each his own I guess.Sorry for the long post ........

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
No flack from me. We each hunt the way we choose. Your trophy isn’t mine , mine isn’t yours or any other persons.

our choices need to be respected for one thing and one thing only. That being , simply our individual choice.

only way to slice it IMHO anyhow.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We all have our own reasons for doing what we do. Sure, everyone WANTS to kill a trophy, but for many, taking care of that empty freezer is the first priority. I have fed and raised my boys (both now grown) on venison. Very little bought red meat has been consumed here in nearly 25 years.
With that said, I removed all my trail cams 3 years ago and put em away as I found myself hunting specific, mostly nocturnal deer. Now, I only need 3 or four a season for our use and sharing so I enjoy watching and selectively taking what can be visually compared through my eyes.

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
I went 2015 without tagging one. Didn't bother me at all being my freezer was full. I had two bucks I was after in 2019 that I never saw in shooting light. I passed on good bucks in Archery season saving those buck tags. As the season started winding down, specific bucks no longer mattered, so I took out two smaller rack eights that had good bodies. I only have one buck on the wall and my Dad killed it in 72. I use the racks off mine to train my dogs to hunt sheds.

Mattyice1987

Four Pointer
Let me start by saying I have a guy that I work with that seems to make it a race to see who kills a deer first or who kills the biggest and sometimes it’s hard not to get caught up in that .I have to really think about the last year that I went without killing a deer probably not since the turn of the century anyway. But as I sat pondering the past deer season I try to figure out why I haven’t used a single tag this year. Well I could say ” I haven’t gotten to hunt much this year “only 4 mornings and 3 evenings “ which is the least I’ve hunted in many years,but that ain’t it cause I seen plenty .as I look over so many posts where people say “ I’m eating tag soup,I’m deerless this year,no luck this year and on and on, I can’t help but think was I really looking for ”A” deer ? My mind goes back on the season pasted at the deer I’ve seen , several smaller 4’s,6’s and tons of spikes and does. And I think back to the first Saturday of ml season at 2:30 in the afternoon when I seen one of the 4 shooters that I’d had on trail cam a Big wide 8 pt only to realize he was moving real slow ,breathing real hard and missing his left antler. It was obvious to me he had just been in a fight and lost ...... so I choose to let him walk because he only had one antler that was the only opportunity that I got at one of the deer that I had on my shooting list.So it got me thinking , and I know some folks like to shoot does some like any deer but we are all different as for me , my family dont eat a lot of venison so that’s why I choose to shoot only bigger deer , cause if I ain’t going to eat it I sure want shoot it . So I’ve came to realize it’s not A deer it’s The deer that Im after so from this year forward I’m going to try to keep that in mind when folks start and they always do towards the end of the season “got to get me a deer, seasons bout over “ it’s not A deer it’s The deer I’m hunting and not put so much pressure just to kill a deer .I know I’ll probably catch a lot of flack about choosing to hunt the way I do, but to each his own I guess.Sorry for the long post ........
Very well said

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Never a contest for me. I shoot when I want to. I don't when I do not want to. Part of what I love about hunting. My time. My experience, it is what I make of it. Yes, sometimes I get caught up in the moment and shoot too soon. That adrenalin and that excitement... sometimes overcomes me when I see bucks running does.

Make your hunt what it means to you. Enjoy it how you like. You control your experience.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I killed 11 with a bow, one year.

This year, I didn't take a deer.

Neither season was better than the other. I let deer walk, this year, that are bigger than the two bucks I killed in the former season. YMMV

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
No flack from me either. All I ask is that you hunt your way and let me hunt mine. And don't agitate for TDM at a state level.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
sounds good to me....I'm in that boat often,,,,,looking for THE deer, not A deer.
some folks don't need to fill the freezer, etc, and others do, and others have other criteria
Like, its dusk, and " I don't want to mess up this evenings plans taking care of a deer"...unless its a huge buck,...or similar thoughts.
Different strokes for different folks.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Great post. Early in the season, the freezer is getting low, so my focus is on getting “ a deer”. A doe if I can manage it.

Once that’s done, I switch to “the deer” mode where I look for a nice 8 or more. I may kill another doe in that period as well because there are so many deer.

Although we try to manage for larger bucks on our farm, I don’t think we should be dictating from a state level what folks can shoot.

The guys I hunt with and I are just doing it for fun to see if we can cultivate a few wall hangers on the properties we have permission to be on. Not everyone should be forced to hunt that way in my opinion.

I really disliked the change to only 2 bucks in the eastern zone. The 2 buck, 2 doe, 2 hunter’s choice system to me was ideal. I wish they’d go back to that. It’s not like we are lacking for deer here.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Once that’s done, I switch to “the deer” mode where I look for a nice 8 or more. I may kill another doe in that period as well because there are so many deer.

You just need kids and a significant other with tags. Then you can have all of the tags you want.