9MM Ammo Is GONE

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It has truly spiraled way beyond outta control. I'd hate to be someone just now getting into shooting. I can only hope in a year or 2 we're back to somewhere close to normal. Ohh how I miss the days of yesteryear, when I was scoffing at $20 a box for 50 rounds of 9MM. Shoulda been filling suitcases with it!

you say this now...but it hasn’t been that long ago that you could find it for 9.99.

ive bought brass case 223/5.56 for$3.99/box not all that long ago.

I’ve also bought 20 gauge field loads for $2.50 a box.....and that was less than a year ago.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And some of the older guys can tell you about going to gun shows and buying a mosin, cleaning kit, sling, other odds and ends, and a big tuna can of 500 or 1000 rounds for maybe $75.

that was a good value for the price.

Outdoorsman252

Four Pointer
But just like now I'm beginning to appreciate rifles with less recoil, I may take to smaller caliber pistols before much longer

CarolinaReaper

Personally I've never shot 9mm and probably from that lack of experience, I considered it a round for the weak wristed.

We've got ourselves a 45 acp fan here fellas!

I think 9mm is a great self defense round. For me personally, it's more accurate than the heavier rounds, less recoil, less muzzle flip, stay on target better. And it USED to be cheap.

CarolinaReaper

9mm is back around now at 50 to 60 cent per round. I've left alot on the shelves just this week.

The only issue is when you find it for those prices most of the time, it's one box per day per person. Which I can understand, you don't wanna start a frenzy, but still. it would take a while to really stock up.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
From what I'm seeing, reading, and hearing, the ammo makers are producing more ammo than ever. I think Federal said they made 12+ billion rounds last year. Govt/Law enforcement bought 2.5 billion of that. Military has its own plant (Lake City). So that leaves 9.5 billion rounds for "us" ... as much as they have made in total in recent years.

So, I'm thinking and hoping that once all the shooters (esp. newbie shooters) are satisfied spending their cash reserves on overpriced ammo for a garage bay full, supply and prices should come back to "normal". I just hope it doesn't take too long.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
From what I'm seeing, reading, and hearing, the ammo makers are producing more ammo than ever. I think Federal said they made 12+ billion rounds last year. Govt/Law enforcement bought 2.5 billion of that. Military has its own plant (Lake City). So that leaves 9.5 billion rounds for "us" ... as much as they have made in total in recent years.

So, I'm thinking and hoping that once all the shooters (esp. newbie shooters) are satisfied spending their cash reserves on overpriced ammo for a garage bay full, supply and prices should come back to "normal". I just hope it doesn't take too long.
i think prices are starting to stabilize and come down some already. a month ago .22 on ammo seek was averaging 20 cents and i saw it today twice at 15-16 per round. granted more than what most here would still pay but its coming down or at least stabilizing

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
These folks that are overpaying will probably regret it soon. Luckily I am not one of them :greenjump:

And I hope the folks running to wal mart and academy every single morning buying up everything just to mark it up online get hung out to dry with it.
I was looking at ads online just a minute ago. The same 30-30 ammo sold by midway for about $30/box (after shipping) was listed for $70 and $80 a box. I find it rediculous.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t have a feeling of desperation if I don’t see stuff I use. A few dollars more here or there isn’t very bad but I certainly won’t pay double.

My focus now is 20 gauge but it’s not the end of the world if I can’t find it. I have another year or two before my oldest will step up from his .410.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My focus now is 20 gauge...
I've been amazed that 20g has been so easy to find and inexpensive. I've added three 20g shotguns for the grandkids in the last 6 months, and acquiring ammo has been no problem. Bought a case (10 boxes) at Cabelas two weeks ago for $7+@, got a 4 box mini-case at Walmart yesterday for $6+@, have also gotten it at Patriot Sport, and Sportsman Warehouse. I could have gotten 5 cases at Cabelas, but just got one. And left 3 other cases on the shelf at Walmart yesterday. It seems 20g is less affected by the "shortage" than other stuff.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I've been amazed that 20g has been so easy to find and inexpensive. I've added three 20g shotguns for the grandkids in the last 6 months, and acquiring ammo has been no problem. Bought a case (10 boxes) at Cabelas two weeks ago for $7+@, got a 4 box mini-case at Walmart yesterday for $6+@, have also gotten it at Patriot Sport, and Sportsman Warehouse. I could have gotten 5 cases at Cabelas, but just got one. And left 3 other cases on the shelf at Walmart yesterday. It seems 20g is less affected by the "shortage" than other stuff.

I did see a case for $80 but it wasn’t the shot size I was looking for. I even found TSS at pre pandemic prices if using the rebate.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Should’ve bought stock in Vista Outdoors it’s up over 300% with all this ammo madness