Working with Covid 19 !!

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
well that's not the route for companies and health departments i have had to work with.
you test postive you out of work.
you live with a positive you quarantine.
that's what i have seen personally happen.

I think that is what any sane person would do with or without govt/company guidelines.
One would think so BUT define “exposure”.

For example, is it being within the same room for a specified amount of time. Or is it they walked past that person

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
After today i am about to believe these covid test are about as reliable as Gov Copper but guess its what we have to work with for now. Starting to wonder how many test you need to take before you know for sure if your positive or not
One of my employees tested positive... then 3 days later tested negative

Wonder what a 3rd and 4th would’ve shown?

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Soil can you point me to that data. What I have read is the opposite of that... and that is part of the problem, even the experts can't seem to agree on some of the basics of this thing.

I know there is a point in the arch, of even symptomatic people, where it can no longer be spread and logic says the arch is the same even for those showing no symptoms. I also know, based on my reading that the PCR test is accurate technically but if they have to cycle the DNA more than I believe I remember 20 times that the amount of virus is so low that it is not considered an active infection and cannot be spread. (those high cycle positives are known to be returned for up to a couple of months after the infection) For reference in NC several of the labs cycle up to 32 times when testing.

If they really wanted to accurately report numbers the state would build in a margin of error in the cycles allowed during testing (if the contagious threshold is 20, make the test cycles 25 just to be sure) and stop reporting "positives" that are clearly residual.. they were positive at one time yes but we should only care if they are currently active with the disease in this phase. I admit that there may be some benefit in knowing that someone WAS positive at some point, as longer term ramifications of that become known if there are any..
And with this detailed insight from @Firedog I rest my case!! (And I believe will many others)

Unreliable testing/reporting and unconfirmed and Disagreed upon data by so called “experts” of who and how many are positive = 💩 💩 CV19 scandemic

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I’m by no means a lock down fan or a chicken little when it comes to COVID, but if you test positive and still go out and about during your quarantine period then you’re a sorry ass person. I’ve known a few people that died from this, though admittedly nobody close to me. My wife and daughter had it and luckily made it through with no major complications. Personally I’m considered high risk with my heart issues and obesity. I’m not about to dress somebody down for not wearing a mask in public and all that, but if you know you’re positive and you unnecessarily put others at risk then you’re just :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk. Plain and simple.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Wife going this am for 2nd test. Tested positive for covid yesterday but daughter had same symptoms and tested negative but positive for flu at a different location Not sure there is clear answer guess will go with ever which comes up positive 2 out of 3 test. It’s no big deal other than interfering with work and amount of quarantine time

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns

For example, is it being within the same room for a specified amount of time. Or is it they walked past that person
Since you asked:

What counts as close contact?
  • You were within 6 feet of someone who has COVID-19 for a total of 15 minutes or more
  • You provided care at home to someone who is sick with COVID-19
  • You had direct physical contact with the person (hugged or kissed them)
  • You shared eating or drinking utensils
  • They sneezed, coughed, or somehow got respiratory droplets on you

4-5 day median exposure time for symptoms, theoretically 2-14 days.

My wife was exposed when she rode in a car with someone for four hours that later came down sick. She was starting to get sick but thought it was a hangover. Wife rode with her Sunday, she came back positive Wednesday, wife was collected and out of work Thursday and Friday, test came back Saturday, my wife was asymptomatic and went back to work 8 or 9 days after exposure with a negative test.

A close friend of mine manages an office of 50 people and said "I've been scraped so many times I'm surprised they haven't lobotomized me" and has posted the guidelines in the office because people freak out when someone from the office two floors down tests positive.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
And those underlying conditions you speak of that were "going to kill them anyway" You do realize that almost EVERY person has an underlying condition. Diabetes, heart disease, COPD, CAD, asthma, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, kidney disease, liver disease, autoimmune disease, smoking, being over weight, drug use, alcohol use, cancer, anemia, pregnancy. The list goes on and on.

Thank you and I just wanted to highlight that. My folks live in an area with a lot more cases than NC. Two of their neighbors have been hospitalized and on ventilators. I'm not privy to their medical history, but you aren't convincing me that two 60-somethings that I see walking their dog every morning and blowing snow out of their driveways without problems were on the short track for a casket.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
One of my employees tested positive... then 3 days later tested negative

Wonder what a 3rd and 4th would’ve shown?

Generally false positives are uncommon. False negatives are not. If you test positive you probably have it, stay home. If you test negative either you don’t have it, you have a low virus load and should probably be retested in a few days to be sure, or the person doing the test did it incorrectly. But false positives are generally rare for any test like this. If it’s wrong it’s probably going to be in the other direction.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
ABC News tonight reported that 40% of covid deaths in US have been in Long Term Care facilities. I am guessing 5% or less (probably a fraction of 1% ?) of US lives in a LTC facility. ASSuming ABC is reporting accurately, I am surprised these LTC facilities are getting hit this hard. I knew they had a problem but didn't know they had this much of a problem...
Just no way keep it out workers have get out in public pick it up and carry it in despite many tight restrictions its just not possible and when its brought in it Hit a the most vulnerable people. Take young healthy CNA goes Wal-Mart picks up covid but is asymptomatic workorg 15 plus patients one day may work with 15 diffetent next day real easy spread it around even with testing employees twice week there is a 4 to 7 day window to pass it around between times test is done to results are back. Plus it has been proven if tested to early you may not come up positive then end up positive on next round.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Since you asked:

What counts as close contact?
  • You were within 6 feet of someone who has COVID-19 for a total of 15 minutes or more
  • You provided care at home to someone who is sick with COVID-19
  • You had direct physical contact with the person (hugged or kissed them)
  • You shared eating or drinking utensils
  • They sneezed, coughed, or somehow got respiratory droplets on you

4-5 day median exposure time for symptoms, theoretically 2-14 days.

My wife was exposed when she rode in a car with someone for four hours that later came down sick. She was starting to get sick but thought it was a hangover. Wife rode with her Sunday, she came back positive Wednesday, wife was collected and out of work Thursday and Friday, test came back Saturday, my wife was asymptomatic and went back to work 8 or 9 days after exposure with a negative test.

A close friend of mine manages an office of 50 people and said "I've been scraped so many times I'm surprised they haven't lobotomized me" and has posted the guidelines in the office because people freak out when someone from the office two floors down tests positive.
Curiosity??? Who defined exposure as the above?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

why dont you ask some folks that make those decisions, your health care provider would be a good start if it comes to that for you.
you're still in the denial stage Helium. I hope it stays far enough from you that you can afford that luxury.
Many cannot.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Just no way keep it out workers have get out in public pick it up and carry it in despite many tight restrictions its just not possible and when its brought in it Hit a the most vulnerable people. Take young healthy CNA goes Wal-Mart picks up covid but is asymptomatic workorg 15 plus patients one day may work with 15 diffetent next day real easy spread it around even with testing employees twice week there is a 4 to 7 day window to pass it around between times test is done to results are back. Plus it has been proven if tested to early you may not come up positive then end up positive on next round.
yep- I am surprised there is a walmart in the world still open. If contact tracing was really in place.
To your point no way to contain it.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
yep- I am surprised there is a walmart in the world still open. If contact tracing was really in place.
To your point no way to contain it.
We've had fair amt positive workers but we only know this because we get tested all the dang time. imagine if box stores tested twice week the positivity count

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
We've had fair amt positive workers but we only know this because we get tested all the dang time. imagine if box stores tested twice week the positivity count
they wont because they are way past essential in today's world. Nobody lays a glove on bentonville.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Generally false positives are uncommon. False negatives are not. If you test positive you probably have it, stay home. If you test negative either you don’t have it, you have a low virus load and should probably be retested in a few days to be sure, or the person doing the test did it incorrectly. But false positives are generally rare for any test like this. If it’s wrong it’s probably going to be in the other direction.

Not only that.....but, a PCR test is merely a moment in time. If you’re tested during the incubation period or after the virus has run its course in you (host), the PCR test will show negative. You could even go directly to a lab, have a blood draw, and test negative for antibodies........because they may not have had enough time to build up.

I know two instances where this very scenario occurred.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Not only that.....but, a PCR test is merely a moment in time. If you’re tested during the incubation period or after the virus has run its course in you (host), the PCR test will show negative. You could even go directly to a lab, have a blood draw, and test negative for antibodies........because they may not have had enough time to build up.

I know two instances where this very scenario occurred.
Not after it has run its course in host pcr can pick up shredded rna for up to 3 months its reason you don't test a positive person for 90 days

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry. Can you rephrase that?
No need its way it is I test people regularly I'm aware of guidelines and before they were in place saw many a person test positive months after initial test. Its reason we don't waste tests on previously positive people

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Absolutely no way to keep it out of nursing homes. With their current business model, the more folks they can stick in the fewest rooms, the more $ they make. Also the fewer minimum wage workers they hire, to attend to the highest number of patients, the more $ as well. Since they won't pay a living wage, all they typically hire are younger girls, who haven't chosen a career or married well. These younger girls tend to be healthier and less symptomatic and can spread the virus unknowingly. They also have a "life" outside of work, and have many more chances than the average person to catch the virus. A lot of these workers are also part time (saving $ as well) and work other jobs where they interact with the public. Good luck with contact tracing, where everyone goes to Lowes, Walmart, Grocery stores, and many times take public transit. Hey, but at least they take their temperature before they clock in and interface with 20-30 folks. God forbid if one of them were to take an aspirin to get their temp down. No work, no pay, right? Yet another "benefit" of working at one of these places

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No need its way it is I test people regularly I'm aware of guidelines and before they were in place saw many a person test positive months after initial test. Its reason we don't waste tests on previously positive people

I can attest to two individuals (spouses) who tested negative the day their spouse tested positive. They went, 3 days later (4, for one) and had an antibodies blood draw. Both PCR test and antibodies test were negative.

10 days (+\-) later.....both tested positive for antibodies.

How is that possible?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I can attest to two individuals (spouses) who tested negative the day their spouse tested positive. They went, 3 days later (4, for one) and had an antibodies blood draw. Both PCR test and antibodies test were negative.

How is that possible?
Doctors are still practicing medicine, correct?

It's like a weatherman, they can get it right 50% of the time and people think they are good.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

How is that possible?
Yeah I'm not getting into the what if how is that possible fuss I just state facts and guidelines and what I know to be true. There are lot variables to testing that lot don't take into consideration like antibody it can take 3 weeks for it to show if tested before that wasting time and resource same with re testing known positive cases. Those you mentioned were likely tested to soon in the negatives its recommended to wait 5 days after symptoms for pcr

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Doctors are still practicing medicine, correct?

It's like a weatherman, they can get it right 50% of the time and people think they are good.
Its more likely the 2 were tesyed to soon antibody can take 1 to 3 weeks to show pcr its possible to miss if less than 5 days. Lot of misinformation comes from them winging it and learning about covid as it goes. I look back at May June and think how much wasted tests were done repeating already positive people who were just shedding and of no threat to anyone.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Thats exactly what I described, earlier.
You actually said after it has run its course PCR would test negative. which is not likely its likely to test positive. You were correct on first part of statement but not on what I mentioned you no longer test after it has run its course its waste of time and supplies