Club rules harvest opinion!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i've killed deer in gun season with shafts and broadhead parts inside of them or hanging on to the hide......only tagged deer should count IMO.....good luck being boss.......
and I’ve killed 2-3 doves this season since opening day that had pellets in the breast with a green ring indicating it had been shot prior.

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
If you have to have a RULES review meeting every year.......you probably already have too many rules!😁
Concur!!!! We have tons of “suggestions” every year most die when they don’t get any support. Amazed at the numberOf members who seem to love rules. The pres adds very few and usually only changes wording to close loop holes. The fewer the better, but everyone gets a meeting to vent. We try and rely on common sense, common decency and consideration for fellow hunters.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My opinion is two fold.

1. if was not a rule when the season started it should not be a rule until next season
2. if I have not recovered the animal or confirmed it is dead, the state does not require I report it nor should the club.

I have seen a lot of animals that I would have sworn were killed, based on all available evidence, show up on trail cameras a few days later.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My opinion? If I know I hit it, I count it,,,don't matter what the critter....that's just how I roll

don't really care how others roll,,,

see to me,,,that is a personal ethics decision,,,I have mine, others have their's,,,none are righter or wrong really,,,,just different (as long as within legal parameters for you legal beagles out there),,,

as far as it beinga rule? not for me,,,rules are about safety to me,,,the rest is just BS,,,rules are how members of a club try to control other members of a club,,,and it's aggravating (to me)

and it's "killing",,,,you harvest peaches and such,,,
Dangit sir...….you have nailed it once again...….that's the reason we have never needed such a rule...…….

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd count it against his doe-quota at that club until such time as it was proven the deer survived. If you have trail cameras and see her, or another member shoots a doe with an obvious arrow wound/scar, he gets his doe permit back.
Oh LAWD...…..now RNR gets to be the guy in the video playback booth determining if Bubbas doe has shown back up on camera...…..Terrible idea in my opinion...….Nothin personal JONOV...…..just like I said before.....one dang rule leads to more BS and so on and so on until RNR says …….eff it

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Just recently took over a club. We have a 2 buck one doe harvest rule in place. A new member shot a doe with a crossbow. Drew blood but didn't recover the deer. I think it should count as his one doe. Whats yalls opinon?

I've never been in a club that had such a rule. It's bad enough to draw blood and not find the deer. There are a million ways to wound a deer bow hunting and the deer not die. 90% of fatal wounded deer will be within 200 yards of the shot. Buzzards & our nose can almost always find them with time. Until I put my hands on game I've shot at, I've never counted them as my harvest. We do as others said, if someone hits a deer we all do our best to find it. With your rule, many members will never say they wounded a deer.

I've never been in a club that had such a rule. It's bad enough to draw blood and not find the deer. There are a million ways to wound a deer bow hunting and the deer not die. 90% of fatal wounded deer will be within 200 yards of the shot. Buzzards & our nose can almost always find them with time. Until I put my hands on game I've shot at, I've never counted them as my harvest. We do as others said, if someone hits a deer we all do our best to find it. With your rule, many members will never say they wounded a deer.
Could be some might lie. But if your gonna lie and break rules you were gonna do it regardless.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Could be some might lie. But if your gonna lie and break rules you were gonna do it regardless.

I don't think so but that's my opinion. At one time one of our clubs had a $50 button buck fine and $300 fine for bucks under club rules. It was the only time we had deer left in the woods. Changed it to no fines and never had another one left on purpose, that we know of. The key is to get like minded members that are on the same page. Nobody likes to wound deer. It's punishment enough in the clubs I'm in. Like I said, there's so many ways to wound a deer bow hunting. I had a friend shoot a buck in the upper shoulder. He was sure it died. His son killed it two months later. The broadhead and shaft actually passed under the spine and was barely sticking out on the opposite side.

Reactions: DRS

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
My opinion? If I know I hit it, I count it,,,don't matter what the critter....that's just how I roll

don't really care how others roll,,,

see to me,,,that is a personal ethics decision,,,I have mine, others have their's,,,none are righter or wrong really,,,,just different (as long as within legal parameters for you legal beagles out there),,,

as far as it beinga rule? not for me,,,rules are about safety to me,,,the rest is just BS,,,rules are how members of a club try to control other members of a club,,,and it's aggravating (to me)

and it's "killing",,,,you harvest peaches and such,,,
Yep, took the words out of my mouth....thinking how language has evolved in these hyper-sensitive days. You harvest corn & wheat. You deer hunt to kill a deer. Damned if I go out to harvest a critter.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
You guys make look at it differently in Western NC but I would not count that to a paying member. Only if he uses his tag. What is the big deal. It is just doe.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Bottom line is, if it wasn't a rule at the start of the season it shouldn't be one now. Wait until next season to create new rules. Also, you will get exactly what Fitzh20 said.... "Nope. I didn't see anything." or "Missed. Shot under him."

I personally think its a garbage rule and is a great example of why people hate hunting clubs.

mattperry

Spike
Contributor
You guys make look at it differently in Western NC but I would not count that to a paying member. Only if he uses his tag. What is the big deal. It is just doe.

^this^ is it worth it to cause tensions? possibly lose a member and i assume maybe even a friend over a deer that may or not be dead? let alone a doe and technically it isn't even a rule

Reactions: DRS

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I hate rules! With that being said our club had a bunch of rules instituted a few years back that were needed to curb certain behaviors of a few that influenced everyone.

Problem is it’s impossible to get a group of people together that see I to I on everything. Everybody is sharing the same land and animals but it only takes one person to really mess up a club. Trying to find like minded people is the biggest challenge.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Oh LAWD...…..now RNR gets to be the guy in the video playback booth determining if Bubbas doe has shown back up on camera...…..Terrible idea in my opinion...….Nothin personal JONOV...…..just like I said before.....one dang rule leads to more BS and so on and so on until RNR says …….eff it
It sounds like a great idea if I can get a camera crew in there for a Reality TV series to air on OLN. :ROFLMAO:
Bottom line is, if it wasn't a rule at the start of the season it shouldn't be one now. Wait until next season to create new rules. Also, you will get exactly what Fitzh20 said.... "Nope. I didn't see anything." or "Missed. Shot under him."

I personally think its a garbage rule and is a great example of why people hate hunting clubs.
Sharing is hard, it is what it is. I can go fishing with my brother and he'll irritate me.

I share a lease with two other guys, a man and his adult son. We don't argue, never had any conflicts, but I'd be lying if I said he didn't rub me the wrong way sometimes, like "Why on earth did you two pick those two stands with that wind? I can smell your aftershave, much less the deer."

timber

Twelve Pointer
Been hunting around clubs for over 50 years but never heard of counting a deer as killed because of a little blood on the ground. Kinda like the biggest fish you ever caught BUT he got off before you got him to the boat.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Im guessing there's plenty of BS. It just comes from the top and rolls down so nobody can complain about it.
And you would be wrong..........but thanks for playing! I can’t believe you could ever imagine thatI would be a bullchitter..........😂

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There’s always BS... it’s just a matter of how much BS, and if you’re willing to tolerate it
Not really.......but you are welcome to your opinion......when I say BS in a club sense.....I mean fussing about rules.....who killed who’s deer kind of mess.......none of that happens at our club.....but we definitely sling some BS around the fire pit and the skinning rack........but that’s good BS!!

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not really.......but you are welcome to your opinion......when I say BS in a club sense.....I mean fussing about rules.....who killed who’s deer kind of mess.......none of that happens at our club.....but we definitely sling some BS around the fire pit and the skinning rack........but that’s good BS!!
I get what you’re saying, y’all get along well it seems, but I’d be willing to bet that there have been some hurt feelings somewhere along the line. Whether they were voiced to another club member or not is a different story.

I would almost guarantee that someone has done something, either intentionally or otherwise, that has ruffled someone else’s feathers.

I once had someone complain to the club president that I “hunted too much”. What got me was that
A. He hunted more than I did

B. He didn’t bring it up for FIVE years, conveniently after I killed a deer he wouldn’t have shot. This wasn’t a managed club, and the deer was a 3 1/2 yr old 8 point. His reasoning was that if he lived that long, I should’ve let it go so we could see how big he would get. Never mind that he tagged out in bucks with a forked horn and a 3 point that year.
He was the only person that had an issue with it. So it wasn’t really BS to me because I just ignored him. To him it was.

I guess what I’m saying is maybe YOU don’t think there’s any BS, but someone else in the very same club may think there is.

like I said Scotty this is our first year running the club. But if someone says to another member you killed my deer and was serious. I would not renew his membership. That is some BS. My major concern is I dont want members taking bad or questionable shots. We stated that in the members meeting on a work weekend. My thinking is a draw blood rule may prevent this. Like I said this was a new member and we dont know him very well yet and dont know what type of person he is. If he continues to wound animals he wont last long.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I get what you’re saying, y’all get along well it seems, but I’d be willing to bet that there have been some hurt feelings somewhere along the line. Whether they were voiced to another club member or not is a different story.

I would almost guarantee that someone has done something, either intentionally or otherwise, that has ruffled someone else’s feathers.

I once had someone complain to the club president that I “hunted too much”. What got me was that
A. He hunted more than I did

B. He didn’t bring it up for FIVE years, conveniently after I killed a deer he wouldn’t have shot. This wasn’t a managed club, and the deer was a 3 1/2 yr old 8 point. His reasoning was that if he lived that long, I should’ve let it go so we could see how big he would get. Never mind that he tagged out in bucks with a forked horn and a 3 point that year.
He was the only person that had an issue with it. So it wasn’t really BS to me because I just ignored him. To him it was.

I guess what I’m saying is maybe YOU don’t think there’s any BS, but someone else in the very same club may think there is.
Nope...…..its seriously that good...….proud to say it...….its so good we have a member that has been paying his dues for 20 years and has been 1 time to the club...…..he wont let his spot go because he knows he will use it one day and he knows he has to get in line to get back in...…...that's a true story too...…….We really have it that good!! Believe it or not......

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nope...…..its seriously that good...….proud to say it...….its so good we have a member that has been paying his dues for 20 years and has been 1 time to the club...…..he wont let his spot go because he knows he will use it one day and he knows he has to get in line to get back in...…...that's a true story too...…….We really have it that good!! Believe it or not......
Well in that case, I wish you many years of continued total satisfaction.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
like I said Scotty this is our first year running the club. But if someone says to another member you killed my deer and was serious. I would not renew his membership. That is some BS. My major concern is I dont want members taking bad or questionable shots. We stated that in the members meeting on a work weekend. My thinking is a draw blood rule may prevent this.
Gotcha…..my thought is the blood draw rule will cause people to lie......they will not come back and ask for help to search because they know everyone will know and they lose that kill...…..the animals deserve a fair search and one man aint the way to do it when others are available......that's all Im saying.....if someone draws blood a second time......then show them to the targets and the range area and tell them to either get the gun/bow right or practice shooting......that will get the point across....Archery practice is critical and I think many folks pull the string back 15-20 times and hit the woods thinking they are ready. I really advise against the rule.