Club rules harvest opinion!

77f150 beast

Eight Pointer
Ill put in my 2cents since one of my close friends and neighbor is the president/lease holder for our club and we have ran into this a few times but with different scenarios.Usually on something like this he will send out a group text and gather everyones opinion first and see how it goes.If the majority says it should be a considered a deer taken ,then the next message would be,do we want to make this a rule effective immediately or add it to the guidelines next year?And so on til you get it ironed out.This has worked well with our group not sure if it would with yours or not.Good Luck either way it can be aggravating sometimes.

Ill put in my 2cents since one of my close friends and neighbor is the president/lease holder for our club and we have ran into this a few times but with different scenarios.Usually on something like this he will send out a group text and gather everyones opinion first and see how it goes.If the majority says it should be a considered a deer taken ,then the next message would be,do we want to make this a rule effective immediately or add it to the guidelines next year?And so on til you get it ironed out.This has worked well with our group not sure if it would with yours or not.Good Luck either way it can be aggravating sometimes.
This is what I have done! Going forward! Just wondering what others considered in making the decision?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Whooooo, not all do, know at least one on here (not me) that will cancel that tag if he draws blood or feathers even if he doesn't recover. That was a thoroughly debated subject on another thread on here when I brought up him doing it several years ago.
Yeah, it's been hashed out a couple times before. I don't guess we need to do it again here.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Regardless of what you do, IMO, it should’ve been clearly spelled out in writing before the season. If it’s not, make sure it is next year. I personally can’t stand it when the rules get made up as you go along, changed mid season etc.

As to your question, they way I’ve seen it done most often is by club consensus on a case by case basis. If the majority of the members present don’t believe it’s a lethal hit, it doesn’t count. If the majority of the members present believe it’s a lethal hit, then it counts.

Last edited:
Regardless of what you do, IMO, it should’ve been clearly spelled out in writing before the season. If it’s not, make sure it is next year. I personally can’t stand it when the rules get made up as you go along, changed mid season etc.

As to your question, they way I’ve seen it done most often is by club consensus. If the majority of the members present don’t believe it’s a lethal hit, it doesn’t count. If the majority of the members present believe it’s a lethal hit, then it counts.
Yes I get that. But do you have every situation addressed in your club? It will be going forward! My decision is if you draw blood it is a harvest. Just wondering how others handle this issue? How many going forward will lie and not tell anyone if they drew blood?

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I don’t think it’s a “harvest” until you actually recover the animal.

He shot a doe, so is the rule that you get to shoot a doe & two bucks or “harvest” a doe & two bucks?

Semantic difference, but I fall on the side of a wounded deer doesn’t count as a harvested deer. It may not have been fatally hit.

Of course, in our little hunting area, deer are overpopulated so my opinion on this matter is colored by that experience which is diametrically oppposed to your management goal,

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes I get that. But do you have every situation addressed in your club? It will be going forward! My decision is if you draw blood it is a harvest. Just wondering how others handle this issue? How many going forward will lie and not tell anyone?
For the most part yes, 99% of foreseeable issues are addressed explicitly in the club rules which are reviewed and signed by each and every member every year.

I will bet that you will have some that never admit to shooting/ drawing blood or both unless they recover the deer. You will have some that are completely upfront and honest and tell the truth every time. And you will have some that fall somewhere in between.

Reactions: DRS

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Sometimes dead deer are never found. Reasons being: there is minimal blood loss; poor shot placement; the hunter is inexperienced tracking wounded deer; I personally am red-green color-blind and can hardly see blood at night, so I ask for help tracking; and sometimes not enough effort is put in to recover the deer, etc. Ideally, if you have access to a Blood Tracker dog handler, they should always be utilized on difficult recoveries. Dogs seldom make mistakes. The point is if a blood tracker dog is available in your area and it is unable to recover the deer, it would be a reasonable club rule to say that the deer does not go against the hunter's total harvest.

.35Rem

Eight Pointer

As to your question, they way I’ve seen it done most often is by club consensus. If the majority of the members present don’t believe it’s a lethal hit, it doesn’t count. If the majority of the members present believe it’s a lethal hit, then it counts.
In our club if it isn’t in this years rules it isn’t A rule and isn’t put in effect until the Jan mtg for club rules review. The club president hates new spontaneous rules because there’s always someone who can claim they didn’t get the word. Each member signs the new rules when they pay their dues. I’d say if it wasn’t in club rules Before the season it didn’t exist.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have never had such a rule...... nor needed such a rule......if it don’t hit the skinning rack....it didn’t die....typically if someone shoots at one.....we all go search until we are satisfied he was missed or just wasn’t hit lethally....... don’t make unnecessary rules......they lead to more rules that you don’t need.....I have been President of our club for a long time......I think there are about 12 items on our rules......

We don’t have any hunters that are ethically questioned in our group ........we have a 1 buck 2 doe limit......that makes a difference too.

If you are going to make a draw blood it counts rule.......then to stop that from happening......then hunting should end 15 minutes before last legal light and start 15 minutes after legal shooting time....just to protect the herd from being wounded in low light situations.........

You see my point with one unnecessary rule leads to other unnecessary rules......

If the same guy continues to have a wounded deer issue......then handle it with him directly......my guess is it will not be a regular occurrence.....

good luck with it!

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In our club if it isn’t in this years rules it isn’t A rule and isn’t put in effect until the Jan mtg for club rules review. The club president hates new spontaneous rules because there’s always someone who can claim they didn’t get the word. Each member signs the new rules when they pay their dues. I’d say if it wasn’t in club rules Before the season it didn’t exist.
If you have to have a RULES review meeting every year.......you probably already have too many rules!😁

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
If you have to have a RULES review meeting every year.......you probably already have too many rules!😁

I was scanning thru the comments to see if someone had posted something like this.....

Hunting is supposed to be fun... Everything can't be managed.... If you had members shooting deer and not even looking for them regularly then maybe something should be discussed...(like kicking them out)..

Rule #1... follow state game laws..
Rule #2... have fun.

Done.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
know at least one on here (not me) that will cancel that tag if he draws blood or feathers even if he doesn't recover.

who? Little ol' me??? :eek: :mosh:

well,,,a shooter SHOULD know where the shot went,,,,

joekidd-gun3-rifle.jpg

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Drew blood but didn't recover the deer. I think it should count as his one doe. Whats yalls opinon?

My opinion? If I know I hit it, I count it,,,don't matter what the critter....that's just how I roll

don't really care how others roll,,,

see to me,,,that is a personal ethics decision,,,I have mine, others have their's,,,none are righter or wrong really,,,,just different (as long as within legal parameters for you legal beagles out there),,,

as far as it beinga rule? not for me,,,rules are about safety to me,,,the rest is just BS,,,rules are how members of a club try to control other members of a club,,,and it's aggravating (to me)

and it's "killing",,,,you harvest peaches and such,,,

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
With us , you count it when you punch the tag before loading/dragging/carrying it to the truck.

Safety is job 1 , for every member. Fun is the next priority. Too many rules ( outside of what’s in the NC regs ) way to often cause more trouble.

Discuss everything with everyone for next year. Take this as a teachable moment.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I say it should have been spelled out before the season started. If drawing blood counts as a kill wasn't specified i wouldn't enforce it this year, but let it be known that next year it counts.

Yep thats it.

If you have a draw blood rule.... most will just say they missed.
You plan to walk the woods and show up everytime someone is hunting to police the area looking for blood.

Rules need to be clear and on paper. Other than that it is not a rule.
Also if everyone around is brown its down it better be a big farm to have a deer farm..

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
In this case, I would say no. Rules need to be established prior to an event happening. Most rules bylaws need to be made before hunting season and before the dues are paid for the next season. This is the only way to be fair to paying members. My next question would be are you sure the deer is dead? If you done this to me after the start of the season, I would not be happy about it.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
i've killed deer in gun season with shafts and broadhead parts inside of them or hanging on to the hide......only tagged deer should count IMO.....good luck being boss.......

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
So.....if you are out west, have one tag and flub it. Do you pack good your stuff and go home empty handed because it "counted" in your mind. Or do you get your ass up in the morning, put your boots on and go out again...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So.....if you are out west, have one tag and flub it. Do you pack good your stuff and go home empty handed because it "counted" in your mind. Or do you get your ass up in the morning, put your boots on and go out again...

you talking to me?

I will assume yes,,,,

yeap, if I know I hit it I do - just cause I can't find it doesn't mean anything to me,,,,why I work on tracking etc,,,and I still "get my ass up in the morning, put on my boots and go out again",,,LOOKING FOR THE ANIMAL I ALREADY SHOT,,,

and HAVE done it in the past,,,out west,,,,here in the east,,,,not up north yet, cause I have 100% success there in finding,,,

ate an elk tag in Colorado,,,spent 4 days looking for that bull,,,,think I know where he went based on sign but couldn't get to him,,,

to me, anything less is just admitting that good marksmanship, shot choices, and tracking skills mean NOTHING

but hey,,,that's me,,,,your mileage is obviously different

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
you talking to me?

I will assume yes,,,,

yeap, if I know I hit it I do - just cause I can't find it doesn't mean anything to me,,,,why I work on tracking etc,,,and I still "get my ass up in the morning, put on my boots and go out again",,,LOOKING FOR THE ANIMAL I ALREADY SHOT,,,

and HAVE done it in the past,,,out west,,,,here in the east,,,,not up north yet, cause I have 100% success there in finding,,,

ate an elk tag in Colorado,,,spent 4 days looking for that bull,,,,think I know where he went based on sign but couldn't get to him,,,

to me, anything less is just admitting that good marksmanship, shot choices, and tracking skills mean NOTHING

Not directly at you but you sir are a good honest man

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
you talking to me?

I will assume yes,,,,

I ain't got nothing but respect for that. (y)

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Yes I get that. But do you have every situation addressed in your club? It will be going forward! My decision is if you draw blood it is a harvest. Just wondering how others handle this issue? How many going forward will lie and not tell anyone if they drew blood?
I'd count it against his doe-quota at that club until such time as it was proven the deer survived. If you have trail cameras and see her, or another member shoots a doe with an obvious arrow wound/scar, he gets his doe permit back.