Ruger 17 WSM Blew Up

17WSM Owner

Button Buck
I recently purchased this bolt action and took it out after sighting in to shoot Prairie Dogs with friends. After about 100 rounds the next shot resulted in a loud explosion blowing a portion of the left stock about 50’ to my left. The magazine fell out of the rifle. Upon inspection it was clear the bullet in the chamber fired and the slug exited the rifle. The next round in the magazine exploded and the round just below it was dented and potentially could have exploded. The chambered shell easily extracted which was surprising.
it was easily seen from the carbon the chambered shell split along the bottom as it sat in the chamber and blew down into the magazine exploding the next shell. The magazine was blown apart as well.
I contacted Ruger and sent the rifle and all shells. They inspected and concluded the rifle fired as it should and offered a new rifle at a discounted price. I then contacted Federal Ammo and sent them the photos and expended shells. They determined the bullets were properly fired and took no responsibility as well. They offered to replace the full lot of remaining bullets and double them as well as a check for 1/2 the discounted amount Ruger offered. As I contemplated this I was informed by Federal that they no longer will offer 17sm rounds and that they did not manufacture the round anyway. They no longer do business with the manufacturer of the round.
I have read several posts on the web of similar experiences. Not only the 17WSM but HMR as well. Several manufacturers are getting out of the 17 caliber business and I think I know why after my experience.
I would like to hear from others who have similar experiences with these rounds. My direct email is hess7499@gmail.com.

Attachments

• 7EFA4496-64AD-49BD-95C7-367CB7622BCC.jpeg
    7EFA4496-64AD-49BD-95C7-367CB7622BCC.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 732F594D-8451-4462-B3E0-C22DF4B60526.jpeg
    732F594D-8451-4462-B3E0-C22DF4B60526.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 0AD7756B-041E-4C64-922C-283F62275C7A.jpeg
    0AD7756B-041E-4C64-922C-283F62275C7A.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 98
  • D585EF28-B45E-4B38-B60D-3D8231B2B830.jpeg
    D585EF28-B45E-4B38-B60D-3D8231B2B830.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 94

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep
It is a known problem.
Rimfire should never have the neck and taper they use on any of the 17 cal rounds.

I will never own one or recommend one to anyone. When I was selling them I said the same thing and warning.
Remember all the 17 rimfire guns they had problems with in years past. Guns blowing up ammo problems, out of battery fires.

As bad as people want it.... It is not worth the risk.

On a side note, you want the gun and ammo back. Do not let them keep it. It is your property. They will want to keep it to protect them. They want to limit the claims and court battle.
If they keep the gun and ammo you have nothing.

Get it all back and go from there.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like you just joined and this is your first post. Welcome!

When did this happen? Being gun and ammo have already been looked at.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
known problem?

I must be super lucky

I know remington got hit for a class action for the 597 in 17 hmr

heard of BMags that had a similar issue to above

my 17s do fine (so far),,,,but I just have 17 hmr,,,but been looking a 17 WSM as I have some ammo (trade fodder)

I was informed by Federal that they no longer will offer 17sm rounds

yeap, website showing discontinued

glad you are safe

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep. When chambering the neck hits the lip on the barrel and if the bolt is worked in a fast and hard manner like normal bolt guns you can have a out of battery fire.

Ruger had a 17 mag auto they had to drop along with others for the same reason.
The way the ammo is made the mass of the bolt and recoil spring alone can set the round off.
Most cases on the bolt guns that were out of battery fire came from people working the bolt hard and the neck or case bind up making the round go off.
The rim fire head made soft enought work correctly is bordering on being to weak to hold pressure.

Was not there and do not have the ammo or gun to measure. ..
But look at the ammo, the one that went vs the unfired round. The neck is rounded, shorter, angle changed.
Does not look like the round was full seated and bolt closed. Looks like OOB to me.
It can be closed enough to send the bullet down range just not enough to contain the case and pressure.

Had an OOB on my 1919a4, took the back of the case head out. Bullet went down range so it does happen.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
interesting,,,,

maybe the engineers should have designed it like the .22 rimfires with a boot heeled bullet,,,

anyhow,,,guess I'll continue to cycle the bolt easy like,,,,don't never get in a hurry with them as they kill so well,,,,my favorite feral pig rifle/shell combo right now,,,,

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
interesting,,,,

maybe the engineers should have designed it like the .22 rimfires with a boot heeled bullet,,,

anyhow,,,guess I'll continue to cycle the bolt easy like,,,,don't never get in a hurry with them as they kill so well,,,,my favorite feral pig rifle/shell combo right now,,,,
It is not really the bullet for say other than dia.
It is the angle on the shoulder. That is what causes it to bind or slow increasing the pressure on the back of the bolt.

Being a gun nut and engineer if I wanted it to work the case would need more taper from the neck back making the angle on the shoulder and neck flat. But what I understand it is very hard to make a rimfire round with tapered case.
Something like this or as follows.
15944106495131855352345.jpg

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It is not really the bullet for say other than dia.
It is the angle on the shoulder.

all I know is what I read, and it was claiming the lip of the case was catching, causing the pressure to get to high on the rimfire primer compound from the bolt

could be true

could be total BS

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
all I know is what I read, and it was claiming the lip of the case was catching, causing the pressure to get to high on the rimfire primer compound from the bolt

could be true

could be total BS
That is 100% true. You will see a lot of the newer ammo with a roll crimp to help with that.
Just part or one of the problems.