Easy Way To Catch Tons Of Blue Crabs Without A Trap

lukedh94

Button Buck
Hey Everyone,

During our trip to the beach we were able to do a little crabbing to get some tasty blue crabs. We crab pretty much everytime we go to the beach and make some killer crab recipes with our catch (dip, soup, etc.).

Realized not a ton of people know that you can hand line for crabs so put together a little tutorial about how to catch blue crabs without a trap just using a inexpensive hand line.

We probably caught a couple dozen and made some great crab soup.

Tight lines yall!

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve never caught “tons” like that. I’ve caught a half dozen or so. Maybe if I was out there all day they would add up. It’s a slow process.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve never caught “tons” like that. I’ve caught a half dozen or so. Maybe if I was out there all day they would add up. It’s a slow process.

When we stay at the river we tie fishing line to the dock with a hook and we put a small dead pinfish on it and its nonstop one line to the next. We usually get a bunch of keepers throughout the day. The kids love it.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Did it for years when the kids were small, best and easiest places ever were the saltwater ponds at Cape Point when they were newly formed. That was before NPS stopped access to them. Doormat flounder in there too.

longbow

Spike
Hand lining crabs with chicken necks was really fun ......we also caught a lot at night where we would hang a lantern off the dock edge and net em' as they swam to the light ! Crabbing from 9 pm until 12 midnight and then we'd head back to the house for an all night crab boil and pitchers of beer!
Good times for sure.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
That's the way I learned when I was a kid. I don't know if traps had even been invented yet but we could afford a net and some string. And the seafood guy would give us the flounder leavings after he filleted them. Great fun and good eating.

That was fun to watch. I hand lined crabs when I was a kid. Relatives had a place on Chesapeake Bay. We would set out a bunch of crab pots but us kids were not allowed to take the boat out to check them so we amused ourselves hand lining off the dock.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Interesting question... the NC DMF website specifically describes their license as relating to FINfish. Their description of commercial gear does not include crab handlines. It does say that unlicensed persons can assist with fishing as long as there is one RCGL holder aboard.
Anybody know the real answer??