Gun sanctuary vote

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If this is off topic, I apologize.

But, I heard a VA politician’s ad on the radio today......RUNNING on overturning these 2A sanctuary counties.

Not kidding.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No. Nor do I remember his name.

But it was run on 94.5 FM. I found that to be odd. That’s the same channel I listen to Beck, Rush and Hannity.

There are two counties in north GA just over the state line that have already voted to become 2nd amendment sanctuaries. You are gonna see a lot more across the country. To DBCoopers post these counties have said they will not recognize any state or federal law that goes against the 2nd amendment.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Red neck....... I guess DB is talking about the VA counties. Is that what you are asking about or the NC counties?

Red neck....... I guess DB is talking about the VA counties. Is that what you are asking about or the NC counties?
10-4. He did say Virginia. It will be interesting to see how this will play out. Supposedly marijuana is illegal according to the federal government and some States dont recognize that. I dont see how the bill of rights wont stand up in a court of law.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess they're voting here tonight. I imagine it will pass. There are a lot of good county sheriffs across this state. Is law enforcement bound by a county commissioners' vote though? Do these votes have ANY bearing on enforcement in any way, or are they simply a statement of principle?

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
From the article.

NC Counties who have already passed the 2nd Amendment Resolution:
  • Cherokee County – passed resolution March 5th, 2019
  • Rutherford County – passed resolution July 1st, 2019
  • Clay County – passed resolution November 26th, 2019
  • Cleveland County – passed resolution December 3rd, 2019
  • Surry County – passed resolution January 6th, 2020
  • Lincoln County – passed resolution January 6th, 2020
  • Wikes County – passed resolution January 7th, 2020
  • Stokes County – passed resolution January 13th, 2020
  • Rowan County – passed resolution January 13th, 2020
  • McDowell County – passed resolution January 13th, 2020
  • Davidson County – passed resolution January 14th, 2020
  • Beaufort County – passed resolution January 14th, 2020
  • Pitt County – passed a more general resolution February 4, 2013
Municipalities Having a Hearing or Confirmed To Be Voting Tonight:
  • Iredell County – voting January 21st
  • Union County – meeting or voting January 21st
  • Stanly County – voting January 21st, 6:00 pm at the Commissioners Meeting Room in the Stanly County Commons
  • Cabarrus County – citizens demanding action at meeting on January 21st at Cabarrus Gov’t Center at 6:30pm
  • Catawba County voting January 21st at the Newton Courthouse, at 7:00 pm
  • Ashe County – voting January 21st on the 3rd floor of the Ashe County Courthouse, beginning at 9:00 am
  • Currituck County – voting January 21st
  • Haywood County – meeting or voting January 21st at 5:30 pm
In the Next 30 Days:
  • Alexander County – voting February 3rd
  • Randolph County – voting February 3rd
  • Gaston County – voting January 28th
  • Alexander County – meeting or voting February 3rd
  • Caldwell County – meeting or voting February 3rd
  • Rockingham County – meeting or voting February 3rd at 6:30 pm in the Commissioners Chambers, Governmental Center, 371 NC Highway 65 in Wentworth
  • Macon County – voting February 10th
  • Davie County – voting February 3rd at 6:00 pm

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Sheriff Eddie Cathey's Statement Regarding Union County Board of Commissioner's 2nd Amendment Sanctuary Resolution.

"As Sheriff of Union County, I have and will continue to strongly support and uphold the basic and fundamental rights of citizens established by the Constitution of the United States, including the Second Amendment which states in part, “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” As such, neither I nor my deputies will confiscate any firearms legally owned or possessed by law abiding citizens and therefore, fully support the resolution passed by the Board of Commissioners declaring Union County a Second Amendment Sanctuary."

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Sheriff Eddie Cathey's Statement Regarding Union County Board of Commissioner's 2nd Amendment Sanctuary Resolution.

"As Sheriff of Union County, I have and will continue to strongly support and uphold the basic and fundamental rights of citizens established by the Constitution of the United States, including the Second Amendment which states in part, “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” As such, neither I nor my deputies will confiscate any firearms legally owned or possessed by law abiding citizens and therefore, fully support the resolution passed by the Board of Commissioners declaring Union County a Second Amendment Sanctuary."
But, if the law changes, are they still "legally owned or posessed"?

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
It will be interesting to see what counties don't vote and/or adopt a 2nd amendment resolution. Maybe not that interesting, we know which ones probably won't.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
^ Yeah … I can't wait for Orange County to pass OURS. Seriously. I CAN'T wait. Because it will never happen.

Yes … much like the UN Charter on Human Rights … every right that they list has the caveat, 'as determined by law' (or something like that) -- pretty much rendering it meaningless, though it sure SOUNDS GOOD to those not paying attention.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
However, if the county sherriff's and cities LEO'S say the won't enforce a anti 2nd amendment law. It won't have any teeth. Anyone heard what the GW's leadership position on this could be?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes, legal as of when? 2020? 1968? 1934? or some point in the future? All of these resolutions being passed, but for it to even be worth mentioning as a county policy, there's got to be some details. Which of the anti-2nd laws will they not enforce? The ones already passed or the ones from here on out?

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, legal as of when? 2020? 1968? 1934? or some point in the future? All of these resolutions being passed, but for it to even be worth mentioning as a county policy, there's got to be some details. Which of the anti-2nd laws will they not enforce? The ones already passed or the ones from here on out?
That's the conundrum. Which laws that have already BEEN passed are legal (Constitutional)?

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I would guess it to depend on what law is enacted or changed and how it reads. It does at least sit well with me that many of these County's are doing this. A little hope.

I will publicly declare here and now that mine (firearms/ammo, and anything related) were all lost when I was canoeing the Rocky River by the new accesses through Union and Stanley counties. I hit a deadfall tipping the canoe and all of its contents into the river. I lost the canoe too. One of you guys near the coast keep an eye out for it. It was green 16' fiberglass coleman. Luckily I was able to walk back to the car.

You would think I would have learned over the years after reading some of these stories of tipped canoes and firearms on this very forum but I thought it a great idea to load everything up and float downstream.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
From the article.

NC Counties who have already passed the 2nd Amendment Resolution:
  • Cherokee County – passed resolution March 5th, 2019
  • Rutherford County – passed resolution July 1st, 2019
  • Clay County – passed resolution November 26th, 2019
  • Cleveland County – passed resolution December 3rd, 2019
  • Surry County – passed resolution January 6th, 2020
  • Lincoln County – passed resolution January 6th, 2020
  • Wilkes County – passed resolution January 7th, 2020
  • Stokes County – passed resolution January 13th, 2020
  • Rowan County – passed resolution January 13th, 2020
  • McDowell County – passed resolution January 13th, 2020
  • Davidson County – passed resolution January 14th, 2020
  • Beaufort County – passed resolution January 14th, 2020
  • Pitt County – passed a more general resolution February 4, 2013
Municipalities Having a Hearing or Confirmed To Be Voting Tonight:
  • Iredell County – voting January 21st
  • Union County – meeting or voting January 21st
  • Stanly County – voting January 21st, 6:00 pm at the Commissioners Meeting Room in the Stanly County Commons
  • Cabarrus County – citizens demanding action at meeting on January 21st at Cabarrus Gov’t Center at 6:30pm
  • Catawba County voting January 21st at the Newton Courthouse, at 7:00 pm
  • Ashe County – voting January 21st on the 3rd floor of the Ashe County Courthouse, beginning at 9:00 am
  • Currituck County – voting January 21st
  • Haywood County – meeting or voting January 21st at 5:30 pm
In the Next 30 Days:
  • Alexander County – voting February 3rd
  • Randolph County – voting February 3rd
  • Gaston County – voting January 28th
  • Alexander County – meeting or voting February 3rd
  • Caldwell County – meeting or voting February 3rd
  • Rockingham County – meeting or voting February 3rd at 6:30 pm in the Commissioners Chambers, Governmental Center, 371 NC Highway 65 in Wentworth
  • Macon County – voting February 10th
  • Davie County – voting February 3rd at 6:00 pm
You forgot Yadkin County

YADKIN COUNTY, N.C. —
More North Carolina counties are approving resolutions supporting gun rights. The vote was unanimous in Yadkin County on Tuesday night, 1/21. The measure reaffirms support for the Second Amendment and asks the state and national lawmakers to protect the gun rights of citizens.

At least eight other counties have passed similar symbolic resolutions. The vote was unanimous Tuesday night in Cabarrus County

Last edited:

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
@CJF I just copied it from the article that was posted, But good deal anyway. Only a few counties I would worry about not passing this type of thing. Sadly they almost control the states voting.