Mattamuskeet

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I’m not doubting it a bit. They do provide them a good place to feed and habitat. And you’re right there is NOTHING in the sounds or rivers for the ducks other than thousands of miles of dead water. I don’t hate impoundments. I just hate that duck hunting in our state has gone back to being a rich mans sport. If you can’t afford an expensive piece of private ground you have basically nothing. And there are plenty of private places that are void of life or the birds only use at night. There are so many good outdoor resources that have been destroyed due to several reasons and the ncwrc has done nothing while a lot of it could’ve been avoided.

There are quite a few people that have spent enormous amounts of money in Hyde and have no ducks. You have to be rich and lucky to get em.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
There are quite a few people that have spent enormous amounts of money in Hyde and have no ducks. You have to be rich and lucky to get em.
But this is a newer occurence I believe. Most people had been doing well until the last 5-8 or so years. Last year was a better year for most people I know. This year no one is killing ducks. My buddy leases an impoundment that was a consistent 900 plus ducks a year 10 years ago. Now they are lucky to get a few hundred. This year probably wont kill more than 50, if that.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
But this is a newer occurence I believe. Most people had been doing well until the last 5-8 or so years. Last year was a better year for most people I know. This year no one is killing ducks. My buddy leases an impoundment that was a consistent 900 plus ducks a year 10 years ago. Now they are lucky to get a few hundred. This year probably wont kill more than 50, if that.

Not in my experience... Flooded corn didn't guarantee ducks 20+ years ago. And to take that further, plenty of corn spillage from Ag equipment wouldn't put geese in the field in their heyday during the 60's and 70's. It's all about location.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Up until 5 years ago most impoundments did ok in Hyde. There were still some excellent impoundments and some “bad” impoundments but a lot in the middle. Now there is only a hand full of good impoundments and a bunch of bad impoundments. The ducks have shifted dramatically. I honestly would be afraid to purchase anything in Hyde now as it’s historic track record means nothing now. Look at historic impoundments like Greenhill, Heron bay, piney woods etc. The amount of money you have to spend in NC to kill ducks vs midwest is ridiculous.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I believe the degredation of the habitat in the lake has a hand to play in this as well. The ducks HAVE to feed in the impoundments. After a while of being hammered when they want to feed, they push nocturnal. Seems the downfall of the lake has been in step with the downfall of the impoundments. Many other and probably bigger factors such as a ton of impoundments being built and alot of pressure have more to do with it but a a lake devoid of natural feed doesnt help.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I believe the degredation of the habitat in the lake has a hand to play in this as well. The ducks HAVE to feed in the impoundments. After a while of being hammered when they want to feed, they push nocturnal. Seems the downfall of the lake has been in step with the downfall of the impoundments. Many other and probably bigger factors such as a ton of impoundments being built and alot of pressure have more to do with it but a a lake devoid of natural feed doesnt help.

However, they have not been hammered this year. Very few have been shot at. The calendar migrators are here,
have not left. Sit on the lake all day; I enjoy watching them. The lake level is down quite a bit from the past couple of years. there may be some SAV sprouting because of the low water level and light finally getting to the bottom.

You may say how do I know this? usually the water is up in the phragmites now there is about 10 to 20 feet of bare bottom out from the phragmites. a ton of teal feeding right on the shoreline.

I also think "Inshore Duck" is right. If I had spent the money on Greenhill would be sick.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
Today should have been good. Cold and a strong North wind. Diver day. I saw 1 group. It's getting to the point that it just isn't worth it anymore to tell you the truth.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
2 of my dads friends bought into 2 impoundments with some friends this past year. Threw in $150,000 each. Had a pretty good year hunting with these guys last year and bought in hook line and sinker. Built a new storage shed and house and did alot of work. Have killed 12 good ducks this year. One guy is a good friend of mine as well and I warned him its not always the best and to be careful before diving in head first but he didnt want to listen. The other has always been a prick to me and I will be honest it a little satisfying watching him squirm. I think good years like last year (atleast for this group) will be the exception not the norm down there.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Today should have been good. Cold and a strong North wind. Diver day. I saw 1 group. It's getting to the point that it just isn't worth it anymore to tell you the truth.

I was out there too and concur, should have been a good day to at least see new birds. What a flop. Saw 4 birds all morning with the exception of one fairly large group of puddlers way off in the distance that might have been new birds ... it’s been a crazy year. I just hope this is not a harbinger of things to come.

Gus

Six Pointer
Spittin snow, ice making on marsh edges, blowin 25- saw 3 ducks.
If it's just the worst bad year, fine, can't all be gravy. But if this is the new normal....