Depredation permit question

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Nope. Kinda makes me feel unpatriotic but once ya get used to them, you realize they’re just a PITA that will catch you a felony if you deal with lol

There was one standing in the road at my mailbox about a month ago eating the guts out of a squirrel that got ran over. Was hoping it would choke or get ran over.....or both. Lol

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I recall a free range chicken farmer in Georgia having trouble with Bald Eagles. They wouldn't give him a depredation permit and he took the Feds to court over compensation. He won over 2 million.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Control Options
The Migratory Bird Treaty Act prohibits the killing or harming of double-crested cormorants without prior authorization by the FWS. Depredation permits are provided to individuals, private organizations, and other federal and state agencies on a case-by-case basis for the lethal control of problem birds. In contrast, a Depredation Order establishes conditions in regulations under which specified entities or individuals can take a protected species without obtaining an individual depredation permit.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Control Options
The Migratory Bird Treaty Act prohibits the killing or harming of double-crested cormorants without prior authorization by the FWS. Depredation permits are provided to individuals, private organizations, and other federal and state agencies on a case-by-case basis for the lethal control of problem birds. In contrast, a Depredation Order establishes conditions in regulations under which specified entities or individuals can take a protected species without obtaining an individual depredation permit.

I thought the USFWS released federal authority on cormorants a few years ago and turned it over to the states to oversee??? Speaking of cormorants only.
Shortly after was when SC had the season on them on moultrie and Marion.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I thought the USFWS released federal authority on cormorants a few years ago and turned it over to the states to oversee??? Speaking of cormorants only.
Shortly after was when SC had the season on them on moultrie and Marion.
That was as of '16 if there has been an update feel free to post it.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
My wife had free-ranging chickens for years. At dusk they would gather in their coop and she would lock them up. I told her that she would most likely lose some to predators, both avian and terrestrial. I explained to her that everything likes fresh chicken and that I was not going to kill some poor critter who was just out there working for a living. She lost a few every year but she never complained. Things need to balance out. Personally, if your stupid enough to have free range chickens then you are stupid enough to lose a few. I was never brave enough to tell her that though. :ROFLMAO:

double

Twelve Pointer
My wife had free-ranging chickens for years. At dusk they would gather in their coop and she would lock them up. I told her that she would most likely lose some to predators, both avian and terrestrial. I explained to her that everything likes fresh chicken and that I was not going to kill some poor critter who was just out there working for a living. She lost a few every year but she never complained. Things need to balance out. Personally, if your stupid enough to have free range chickens then you are stupid enough to lose a few. I was never brave enough to tell her that though. :ROFLMAO:

What if you replace the word chicken with puppy or kitten?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odie408

Ten Pointer
I knew an old man that nailed jar lids on top of the post around the pen and put goat dehorning powder in them to make the talons fall off. This and the last s might work.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
key words were "free range",,,if your puppy or kitten is "free range" you are taking chances as well

If a raptor attacks my dog...well...that will likely be the last thing they attack. Same as if they were a stinkin yote or snake.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
"S"

just saying,,,,

for certain "hypotheticals" I keep my Courses of Action to myself,,,,

Of course....my dog happens to be a 100 lb german shepherd. She'd likely be the one taking care of the problem. She can't read regs...or posted signs. :)

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Of course....my dog happens to be a 100 lb german shepherd. She'd likely be the one taking care of the problem. She can't read regs...or posted signs. :)
Have you seen pics of the Golden Eagles hunting deer. I'd bet money on the GS if the Eagle missed the first time.