Using a canoe/kayak for deer hunting

Teamclark

Spike
I hunt game lands (mostly Harris) almost exclusively and I have always wondered if using a canoe or kayak to get to hard to walk to locations is worth the time/effort. Has anybody tried this technique and how did it go?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Kinda got a feeling there is a story in there that I've missed. But as an aside, Ncst8guy would make an excellent instructor and I would probably attend any class he was teaching.

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
I have found a canoe to be very beneficial not just for getting in to a spot but also getting deer out. I usually can get the canoe within at least a hundred yards of where I set up so getting all hot and sweaty is another plus.

Teamclark

Spike
I have found a canoe to be very beneficial not just for getting in to a spot but also getting deer out. I usually can get the canoe within at least a hundred yards of where I set up so getting all hot and sweaty is another plus.

My 2 biggest hesitations are how much time does it add to your overall getting to the stand process (unloading the boat, putting in, paddling, etc) and doing all of this in the dark either going in or coming out and being able to safely navigate.

Any words of wisdom on these concerns? Are they legitimate or just a false assumption?

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I've bought several canoes/small boats with the intent of using them for hunting and never did. I've used my outboard skiff to access some out of the away spots a few times. Its enjoyable.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’ve found a few spots in the Croatan that are either only accessible by water, or that are easier to access by the water instead of trying to walk in from the road. I’ve never tried to get a deer out on my kayak.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
The most fun I've ever had hunting public woods were accessed by canoe.

But if you are hunting low lying areas, use caution and familiarize yourself with flood levels. One spring morning in SC, the river rose and where we'd tied a canoe in the morning was about 200 yards from the "new" water's edge by late afternoon. We had a time finding our canoe and we got very wet getting to it. We would've been staying in the woods over night if we'd waited until dark to get back to the canoe.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have never used a canoe or kayak, but I sure have used my boat with an outboard.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
My 2 biggest hesitations are how much time does it add to your overall getting to the stand process (unloading the boat, putting in, paddling, etc) and doing all of this in the dark either going in or coming out and being able to safely navigate.

Any words of wisdom on these concerns? Are they legitimate or just a false assumption?
I think you'd have to practice ahead of time. Really, not any different than setting up a climbing stand...You don't want to go in somewhere in the dark you haven't been in the day.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I have hunted NC game lands out of canoe quite a bit the last 2 years...mostly linwood, alcoa, tuckertown area. Here are my thoughts, although I have not been fortunate enough to kill one while canoeing in yet.....but still trying......

1- Its definitely more fun, but it is absolutely more work. yes, paddling is easier than hiking, but I spent alot of time loading canoes, tying them down, making sure I had what I needed beyond hunting ( lifejacket, paddles, etc).
2- The biggest advantage is quiet entry at almost any location along the riverbank. There is no one way in that deer can watch like they do at some walk in spots.
3- you can carry more gear, depending on the size of your canoe. Just make sure you can fit a deer or have a plan to stash your gear and come back.
4- I would definitely suggest a trolling motor if you have a scanoe type boat. Paddling in 3 miles to a place can be way more taxing than it seems.....
5- extra time needed to paddle in and set up. One spot in linville takes me about 2 hours to get to.....take that into consideration.
6- harder to change plans. I remember opening day of gun season I paddled to linville, only to find 6 guys running a damn deer drive. by the time I paddled back, loaded up and drove to a new spot the day would have been shot so I just made the best of it.
7- If you are overnight camping, make sure there is not heavy rain in the forecast. I damn near got stranded last year when waters rose an insane amount overnight. I was planning to camp but I got worried about the rain and did not, thank god. I came back the next morning and the waters were raging...had I camped out I would have been SOL or had to walk out over private land.
8- Paddling out in the dark, down some dark tributary, can be a little sketchy.....make sure you have a good headlamp and lantern :)

In short, it takes longer, is a pain in the ARSE....BUT, you can definitely get to places that are way less pressured and it can seem like more of an adventure than a 'standard' hunt. I would definitely give it a shot....worst case scenario you have some more stories to add to the books.

Last edited:

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer

Is it a little more "work"? Yes but no different than using a 4wheeler. I don't have to drive far so i just throw the canoe (Old Town Discovery 119) in the bed of the truck. I am trying to find an OT Discovery 158 for my boy to begin going with me this year and plan on doing the same thing. As far as at dark just get a good headlamp with extra batteries of course. One could argue canoeing is faster than walking simply because you don't have to watch every step trying to be quiet walking in. I also launch off the side of the highway for my spots. But lastly and most importantly always wear a life jacket!

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I’d like to try a canoe hunt on one of the swamps & a creek I have access too, it would be fun. I have a feeling the bucks hold on the swamps’ “islands”.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Yep on lakes.
Yep on slow rivers.

Have a native fx12 hybrid that loads 350# against a 53# Hull weight. Sits high and stable. Great for shooting.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I hunt game lands (mostly Harris) almost exclusively and I have always wondered if using a canoe or kayak to get to hard to walk to locations is worth the time/effort. Has anybody tried this technique and how did it go?

I did ONCE,,,on Harris also,,,nice peninsula that was a long way from the locked access gate,,,,picked a very remote area (for that area),,,paddled in,,got set up

then a "disabled hunter" drove an ATV in pulling a trailer with 10 guys on it,,,they then proceeded to do a man drive that was impressive in it's scope,,,

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I did ONCE,,,on Harris also,,,nice peninsula that was a long way from the locked access gate,,,,picked a very remote area (for that area),,,paddled in,,got set up

then a "disabled hunter" drove an ATV in pulling a trailer with 10 guys on it,,,they then proceeded to do a man drive that was impressive in it's scope,,,

That stinks.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
make sure you have a good headlamp and lantern :)
the only thing he left out was to invest in BRIGHTEYES (reflective thumb tacks) or another small but easily noticed reflector for your headlamp to IGNITE. I spose longer strands of chartreuse or white surveyor tape could work, but I prefer something that lights up well/reflective.
For instance, I'd put 3 Brighteyes vertically on a SMOOTH tree (maple/beech, etc) , maybe 6" apart, to signal the landing zone, and a lil different strategy to keep on track until ya get there.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Growing up, we hunted some public land that bordered a lake. There was a large island that had good sign, so mom hunted it. Didn't get anything, but it had potential.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I did it in the past.
No different than using other tools like an ATV.
Have to open gates, pull in and park, off load the ATV and load it with gear the after driving in to park carry gear to stand.

To me it would be the same to off load at ramp and get back to location to hunt.

In past I used a canoe but if I was to do it again I would use a small jon boat with electric TM and have GPS.
It would for sure be safer, more stable and easier to carry gear.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor

Extra effort and getting off the beaten path can pay a man.... especially on public grounds.

Teamclark

Spike

Extra effort and getting off the beaten path can pay a man.... especially on public grounds.

That’s an awesome deer. This is the reason why I am thinking about trying this method out.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I have used both. For me, I prefer a canoe because of the larger weight carrying capacity and having more room. Kayaks are lighter and usually easier to handle than a canoe, but I just don't feel comfortable hauling myself, my gear and a deer on my kayak. If I had a larger kayak, it may not be that big of an issue. My canoe is perfect. Although it's heavier and bit more difficult for one person to handle, I love the extra room. I have done canoe-in hunts on the RRNWR. I have packed all my gear for 3 days into the canoe and just paddled to my spot, pitched camp on the shore and hunted from there. In terms of how much work/effort is in involved, I would say it's not really any different than loading/unloading an ATV. You have to come up with a system that works for you. A couple other things you have to consider is your gear and how you are going to carry it on your canoe/kayak. You want to make sure it is well balanced and organized. You also need to consider that, in the event you flip over, what is going to happen to your gear? Is your gun, stand and everything else going to straight to the bottom? I have a system on my canoe that I rigged up to keep items attached to the canoe in the event of being overturned. My gun stays in a case that floats (this has been tested). Gear such as phone, keys, wallet, and other small items I don't want to lose stay in a floatable Pelican storage case that goes in a compartment under my seat. You also practice getting back in your canoe/kayak after flipping over and practice with your hunting gear on. Easy get back in on a warm, summer day wearing shorts and t-shirt. Not so easy wearing boots, pants, and a jacket, it's 30 degrees outside and the water is damn near freezing.

All in all, using a boat to get to your spots is a great tool to have in your arsenal.

Teamclark

Spike
Thanks for that insight, I never even thought about the canoe flipping and how to handle that with all my hunting gear on

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for that insight, I never even thought about the canoe flipping and how to handle that with all my hunting gear on
Oh dude that’s the only thing you need to think about.

A 20+ mile walk in dry clothes in 20* weather is waaaayyyyyyyyyyy better than a 2 mile crawl in wet clothes and no gear in 20* weather.

Prep for a morning on the water like a duck man does. Cause water makes everything harder and more dangerous.

Ever tried to swim in a carhart coat and insulted overalls?!?! It SUCKS!

You even gotta think about what guns you carry. I really only shoot off a kayak with an AR platform or small youth shotguns.
Short, balanced, and ambidextrous if needed. More resistant to the elements. AR’s will fit collapsed in most long drybags