What's a big Bream?

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
the local boys do this on every 3rd Saturday from April to August. It just fell right this year.
It's a big fish payout with 5 different fish - bass, shell cracker, raccoon perch, white perch, bream

The new one up river is a 10 fish bag and according to Facebook, it's their 1st tournament. I wish them well.

yes, I've heard them called titty bream also. Funny thing is, that titty bream will do good if he hits a pound

When I lived down there, I saw some fairly nice fish caught in those tournaments.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I caught a one pound, 11 3/4" bream many, many years ago on a farm pond. As far as per species, that's probably the biggest fish I've ever caught.

seedrooster

Eight Pointer
Yeah, you know how many 18-20# coons I turned into 12-14# ones when I was hunting all over the place and carried a set of scales in my coat. The exact same thing would happen if you did that bream fishing.

Hahahaha yep!!! I’ve seen a bunch of those “20 pound “ coons too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When I left, the biggest bream was 0.82 pounds. I weighed 5 that went from 0.65-0.67. I knew I didn't have a contender when I walked up to the scales. The only shell cracker that was weighed at that time went 0.95. It was big, but not big in shell cracker big.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
https://myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/sites-forecasts/nw/merritts-mill-pond/

We used to fish this and Spring Creek early in the morning and late evening with fly rods drifting gobs of wigglers or crickets. We caught shellcrackers over 3 pounds fairly regularly.
There were giant bream in there too, but everyone was always targeting the next state record shellcracker or the next state record bass. Spring Creek was the main feeder creek to the pond and was crystal clear, over limestone bottom so it was also tough to fish but it was a lot of fun to wade and flip unweighted crickets with a 10 foot fly rod.

Donovan

Spike
My criteria is a little weird....If I can fillet it and get a decent sandwich out of it..I consider it big

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ya'll are all about some titties, but I'm not putting any fish up against my chest. Unless it's over 3' long. There's about 3 ways to grab them that works better. And most of the time, I don't touch them at all. Grab the hook with pliers, turn, and shake.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I can tell you a fine way to catch some big ones. besides live bait or a flyrod.
Zman makes a 2.5 " pint sized swim bait called a slimswimz.
On a small jig head the action is incredible. It actually rolls and has a tail thump.
Big Brim love it, a killer in a "clean" pond and death on a lake.
The only issue with it is the non brim species that will worry you, green trout, sac a laits, etc. :)

the watermelon red or ice colors work well. I rig it on a 1/16th red mushroom jig head.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
7451a135d8d81df7c1b7991f6c0dcd46.jpg

Here is a bluegill I caught on a golf course pond in Florida this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
In June of 1973, when I was 12, I won the weekly fishing contest they used to have at Thorne's in Raleigh with a 31 ounce bream. Had my picture in the Raleigh Times & got a Thorne's gift certificate. That fish was so big, the tail curled up the side of a five gallon bucket & it hung over the edge of a dinner plate. I'm not sure where the picture is these days.

Jim