super blood wolf moon.

kyle7630

Twelve Pointer
Been popping outside to check periodically at work. Earth's natural satellite looks pretty cool right now. It's chilly out though. I think one of my natural satellites froze and rolled down my britches leg.

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I watched it last night, it was pretty cool. It was also one cold mother outside too.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thought it was neat...1st one I'd ever seen and disappointed I couldn’t get a photo of it.

Being around midnight and cold with the wind chill…I decided against driving alone up to Falls Lake to find an open area for a shot at an angle off in the distance.
But then when it showed up, I discovered it was so perfectly straight up overhead here at the house, that my tripod wouldn’t rotate up vertical enough to use it...couldn't find / figure out any other way in the yard to brace the camera & lens rock solid.

So I just enjoyed it through binocs...appeared to have the dull reddish color from my view.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Really nice pics, Sky Hawk.

I had the same problem with the moon being nearly straight up in the sky when the eclipse was happening. I wound-up getting a few pics by working with the tripod while on my knees, and finally just gave up and took a few shots hand-held, which are posted in the Nature Photography section. (The wind blowing didn't help in keeping a camera steady, either).

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I probably wouldn't have stayed awake long enough to see it, except we had an 8-yr. old who was excited about it. He has a new telescope he got for Christmas, and no school today.

It did have an interesting color to it - red on the bottom and white-blue on the top. It was a little different than the blood moon we had a couple years ago that was setting on the horizon at around 6 am.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Can't y'all lower the rear leg enough and then fwd the camera forward to get the right pic? I just don't buy the whole "didn't point straight up" routine.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Can't y'all lower the rear leg enough and then fwd the camera forward to get the right pic? I just don't buy the whole "didn't point straight up" routine.

That's one way to do it although you'd have to be very careful about tripod stability; I'd be concerned about dumping $4K worth of equipment on the ground. The problem (in my case) wasn't getting the camera pointed at the moon, it was being able to get behind the camera. I had to either stoop down (uncomfortable) or get on my knees (more uncomfortable). Tried a seat, but then I couldn't quite reach the viewfinder (frustrating).

What I've done in the past (and forgot to do this time), is to set the tripod up on a table. That way you can have the camera pointed upward, and still be able to stand behind it comfortably.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use the viewfinder 98% of the time, but in this type of situation, or where I'm trying to get really low to the ground/water, I flip out the screen on my Canon and spin it up at an angle. This way I can stand over the camera instead of in a really awkward position. In this case I used the remote to take the picture.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Aha, I only have a $100 camera ;). I'd be terrified to put $4K on a tripod!

I had to actually lie down on my deck because my neck was getting sore. It was COLD, but cool to see!

love the pics!

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My wife wrapped up in a sleeping bag and laid in the driveway.......

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was able to observe through my skylight in the warm house. Not Ideal for taking pictures but great for warm viewing.