Has anybody on here ever used a ladder stand or lock on stand to turkey hunt in?

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
and I mean the same exact set up as deer hunting. I have two stands that turkeys routinely walked under and around during deer season, so the thought crossed my mind.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You could but it might be actually difficult deer lot time don't look up turkeys look everywhere. If multiple birds come in they will be on alert looking for source that calling. It could work though plenty fall hunters pick off birds during deer season all across the country some with archery. I would Just rather be leaned up against big tree as he comes in

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
In my opinion if you choose to hunt them that way you will be cheating yourself out of everything that makes turkey hunting so special. Turkeys habitat needs vary greatly from fall to spring so the birds you're seeing from your deer stand in the fall may or may not be anywhere around during the spring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I don't think it is illegal but I don't see the fun in it.

I would hate to be pinned down like that. I can't remember how many times I've set up on a bird and had to move around a tree or to another tree to improve my set up.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
No sport in hunting from elevated deer stand and you will be missing out on the opportunity to go eyeball to eyeball with him. But, people always looking for a short cut to kill that ole tom, just like it was hard to sit on the ground and call him in, so lets get up 40' and he can't see us up there, just pick him off when he comes thru.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I killed my first bird in Rockingham county from a 2 man ladder stand. I had been hunting my 2 silent Toms for 2 years. Those birds would gobble one time and then slip in on you. They had done just that this morning and I was caught flat footed again . I had to let them walk off. Came back 2 hours later and walked down to one of my creek stands. I started calling softly and less than 15 minutes here they come. When they got within a 100 yards the 2 gobblers split up both strutting and looking. I shot the first that got within 45 yards. Had I been on the ground I would have not seen them slipping in. This was the 4th time those birds had tried to slip in on me silently within the past 2 years but the 2 man ladder stand gave me the edge.:geek:turkey 005.JPG

Last edited:

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Is there no sport in hunting with camo? Maybe we need to hunt them the same way they did in the old days, in their farm cloths.
No sport in hunting them with a 12 ga. Maybe we should be limited to 410 or 28 ga to make it more sporting.... Limit it to 2 3/4" also...

My Dad used to talk about cleaning a 3 foot circle in the snow, putting corn down and waiting for 4-5 to put their head down and eat, of course he would kill 2-3 with one shot...

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No sport in hunting from elevated deer stand and you will be missing out on the opportunity to go eyeball to eyeball with him. But, people always looking for a short cut to kill that ole tom, just like it was hard to sit on the ground and call him in, so lets get up 40' and he can't see us up there, just pick him off when he comes thru.

Where in my post did I say I was going to or had did it. I said the thought crossed my mind. I dont see it any different than sitting in a blind or in a 3d leaf suit.

Last edited:

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
In my opinion if you choose to hunt them that way you will be cheating yourself out of everything that makes turkey hunting so special. Turkeys habitat needs vary greatly from fall to spring so the birds you're seeing from your deer stand in the fall may or may not be anywhere around during the spring.

I kill turkeys every year in the same spots I deer hunt. In fact have used the ladder as a prop when I sit between the ladder and tree

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I've known people that hunt them like that due to various reasons.
I don't turkey hunt but the people that do on the place I hunt kill them and the exact locations we deer hunt from.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer

I kill turkeys every year in the same spots I deer hunt. In fact have used the ladder as a prop when I sit between the ladder and tree
That's why I said there may or may not be turkeys in the spring in places where you deer hunt in the fall. I have deer hunted properties that were covered up with turkeys, but come spring couldn't find a track. I have also deer hunted a property that during fall had zero sign of turkeys anywhere but come spring the turkeys moved in and it was a great turkey property. I stand by my statement that to me hunting them from an elevated stand would take away from everything that makes turkey hunting what it is.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Is there no sport in hunting with camo? Maybe we need to hunt them the same way they did in the old days, in their farm cloths.
No sport in hunting them with a 12 ga. Maybe we should be limited to 410 or 28 ga to make it more sporting.... Limit it to 2 3/4" also...
given the state of .410 and 28 ga loads these days they are far superior to 12 guage loads of 10 years ago.
to avoid killing them out we may need to go to rocks.
the poor birds IMO don't have a chance if hunters exercise all the tools that are legal.
what constitutes a challenge is personal. what is legal may not appeal as sporting, ethical or enough challenge.
what we should do instead of bickering is STFU and hunt.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Walked up one morning on a guy hunting out of a box stand, about 20' up, and when I was right below the stand I looked up and his barrel was sticking out the window, did not even know anyone was in the stand. Saw him later and he said that is always the way he hunts, told him was sorry for messing up his morning. Different strokes for different folks.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Calling from a tree is no more dangerous than from the ground. It’s safer. That’s why there’s elevated hunting regulations. I doubt you’ll ever hear of someone accidentally shooting another turkey hunter out of a box stand.

And it’s no less sporting than decoys or a blind. It is a tactical disadvantage most of the time though.

Reactions: jug