Removing minimum poundage for bows and crossbows?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
What do you think of removing the minimum draw weights for recurve, long, compound and crossbows?

Its been pointed out they are hard to enforce in the field.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree, there is a point that equipment isn't adequate to take an animal. If they remove the minimum there will be people out there with WalMart target equipment.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I agree, there is a point that equipment isn't adequate to take an animal. If they remove the minimum there will be people out there with WalMart target equipment.
Since the law is not enforced then what is keeping anyone from going out there with Walmart target equipment right now? The spirit of the law has no effect on people who don't know the laws or just don't care.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Since the law is not enforced then what is keeping anyone from going out there with Walmart target equipment right now? The spirit of the law has no effect on people who don't know the laws or just don't care.
The same thing that stops people or most people from walking up and knocking the crap out of folks when they get pissed. They know most of the time it will only get them a simply assault charge if that. The majority of the general public wants to abide by the law. Let me rephrase that. The majority of the general public USED to want to abide by the law. It is becoming less and less as time goes by. And laws my have to be tailored to that progression in the future.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I don't think it should be removed because it does give IMO a minimum guideline of what's acceptable to to kill a deer, now if someone don't follow it then it's kinda like speeding......

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I don't think it should be removed because it does give IMO a minimum guideline of what's acceptable to to kill a deer, now if someone don't follow it then it's kinda like speeding......
There is no minimum guideline for firearms. You can hunt with a .17 HMR, which I believe most of us will agree is completely unacceptable cartridge (for 99.99% of people) for deer hunting. Yet it's still legal to hunt with if you so choose.

I bet if you dropped the minimum requirements, most people wouldn't even know about it. Are we worried that a bunch of 6 yr olds will be running around the woods with their $15 fiberglass bow slinging arrows at deer? It's not going to happen. If you dropped the requirements, I doubt you would see much of change anyways. A huge number of people aren't going to all of sudden start bow hunting because the poundage requirement went away.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
There was a thread on archery talk several years ago about 7yr old girl who killed a deer with a 23lb compound at 15yds. Thread got interesting if I recall correctly.

My daughters diamond atomic has a max draw weight of 29lbs. I guarantee it would pass through a deer with a sharp broadhead and shots at 15 yds or less. But we will never know.

Colorado has a minimum 35lb draw weight for elk. If 35lbs is good enough for elk, then surely less would be fine for deer.

Archery is not about kinetic energy. Sharp broadheads and shot placement. Death by hemorrhage. An 80lb bow shooting 350fps is worthless if you can't hit shite with it.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Texas, Tennessee, Virginia ,Georgia and South Carolina have no minimum draw weights.

Interesting about Colorado.

Not talking or discussing the broadhead requirement go way, just minimum poundage.

Last edited:

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There was a thread on archery talk several years ago about 7yr old girl who killed a deer with a 23lb compound at 15yds. Thread got interesting if I recall correctly.

My daughters diamond atomic has a max draw weight of 29lbs. I guarantee it would pass through a deer with a sharp broadhead and shots at 15 yds or less. But we will never know.

Colorado has a minimum 35lb draw weight for elk. If 35lbs is good enough for elk, then surely less would be fine for deer.

Archery is not about kinetic energy. Sharp broadheads and shot placement. Death by hemorrhage. An 80lb bow shooting 350fps is worthless if you can't hit shite with it.

Not really, Kinetic energy and momentum count for something. While I agree with sharpness and shot placement, the ultimate test is recovery of the animal. Odds of recovery go up with penetration, and those two factors go into the equation.

If

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well my first thought might be that there would even fewer wounded animals recovered. But these days it's rare that hunters know how to track well enough that it happens far too often already, even with an adequate weapon....

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I have mixed feelings about it. I see points to having it, and I see points that if it hasn't been enforced, then take it off the books. You need to be a lawyer to sort through the rules already.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I have mixed feelings about it. I see points to having it, and I see points that if it hasn't been enforced, then take it off the books. You need to be a lawyer to sort through the rules already.

My thoughts as well.

I don't mind the minimums but game wardens aren't checking bow poundage anyway.

A few years ago Texas went from 40 lb minimum for compound, recurve, and longbow to no minimums. Suppposedly to benefit children.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All you have to do with "the pod" is break the skin.........
Yep, I used them at one time in a state where legal. They were amazing how effective. If you hit one good enough to roll that pod back and administer that anectine it was lights out in short order.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What, if any, is the downside for using the pods?
I hit a buck too far back with one. He humped up immediately and walked off. I sat in the stand and just waited. Of course he bled like a gutshot deer, pretty good at first. I found him an hour later 50 yards from where I shot him. It was an almost dead center gut shot, not a liver shot either. That would have made me a believer in them if I had any doubts about them. That was my one and only chance at seeing how they would work on a deer that wasn't shot in a place that they wouldn't have died without them anyway first handed.

That was 30 years ago and I was getting them and my supplies from a vet in Ms. He was a big proponent of them. He was behind a big push to get them legalized in many states where they were not. I don't remember his name now but best I remember it didn't gain much traction.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Sir pot up. I wonder if grown men are scared to shoot 35#s. Squashes the cross bow I hurt my shoulder crap. I pulled two xbows back this weekend to cock them and they were way tougher than a compound.

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Sir pot up. I wonder if grown men are scared to shoot 35#s. Squashes the cross bow I hurt my shoulder crap. I pulled two xbows back this weekend to cock them and they were way tougher than a compound.

Yep some are hard to pull. I ended up with a crank for that reason.
Aside from that one reason was I could not hold them due to health reason. Tremors and spinal cord damage change that for me. I can shoot a long bow or recurve some but it causes problems and not worth the risk overall. Just feel for me if I cant hunt with the cross bow I will fish and wait for BP or gun...

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
35# bow. 90%let off. The hold is roughfly 3.5#s.

I've seen guys draw the bow and point it straight down and take their hand off the riser and it stay drawn. The weight of the bow keeps it at full draw.
I understand that you can prop a xbow or rifle up on a rest and a bow you cannot.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The poundage for recurve and longbows is 40 lbs

What about going to a flat 35 lb minimum for all vertical bows like Colorado?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
35# bow. 90%let off. The hold is roughfly 3.5#s.

I've seen guys draw the bow and point it straight down and take their hand off the riser and it stay drawn. The weight of the bow keeps it at full draw.
I understand that you can prop a xbow or rifle up on a rest and a bow you cannot.

They did not have bows like that when I was doing it.
Yep things change. Tremors are the biggest problem. It is also a big problem with guns.
There is a saying for 2 in the head, 2 in the nuts, one in the heart when shooting..... Got the tremors