Markers for baiting and castnetting shrimp.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Talking with my brother about cast netting for shrimp earlier today. How many are you actually allowed to keep? He thought it wasn't much more than 8-9 dozen per person.....

hawkman

Eight Pointer
2 qts a day...hardly seems worth the effort....

There are open shrimping areas accessible as well, which gives you up to 48 qts... for example, here's Swan Quarter.

[Inadvertently posted the wrong map here. 'wanchese' has provided the correct links below]

Last edited:

23mako

Ten Pointer
It is legal to use the bait in NC. I've had the best luck using that "bait binder" stuff later into the Fall near tidal water. Fill up the cooler with green tails.

Ncflats558

Button Buck
PVC will work with a soft bottom. I have tried “shrimp bait” before with little luck. I have always had best luck running the trolling motor to locate them and then throwing a 8-10’ net. You don’t want to throw a net of that size more than you have to however when you get on them it doesn’t take long to load up.

This encouraged me to watch a few videos on baiting and may try again this year.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Looks like you are limited in Dawson Creek itself.

[Inadvertently posted the wrong map here. 'wanchese' has provided the correct links below]

Last edited:

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Looks like you are limited in Dawson Creek itself. Pam-Crav Shrimp Waters
View attachment 19123
That's not a shrimping area map. That is a shellfish(oysters, clams and mussels) prohibited area and harvest area map.

These are the maps you are looking for.

http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/shrimp-trawl-prohibited-areas

http://portal.ncdenr.org/c/document...169848&folderId=31805592&name=DLFE-138128.pdf

http://portal.ncdenr.org/c/document...499-45e5-4e44-95ba-5dee52703ed2&groupId=38337

Last edited:

hawkman

Eight Pointer
That's not a shrimping area map. That is a shellfish(oysters, clams and mussels) prohibited area and harvest area

Gosh, thanks for catching that, wanchese. I'm embarassed. I went back to the page I thought I had looked at previously, but clicked the wrong links in a rush. Sorry.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
My previous image was also taken from the wrong pages by the way.
I will edit my posts and delete those maps so as to not give someone the wrong idea if they don't read all the way through this thread.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Our local bait shop sells bait. I doubt they would if it were illegal. I know that does define the law, but...
Not always a good indicator. I've seen corn bags with Turkeys on them and all sorts of places sell deer-corn during hunting season in VA.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Not always a good indicator.

That's why I said I know it doesn't define the law. I have searched the ncdmf website, Google, and spoke with a MF biologist. Don't know what else I can do to prove it...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've got an officer I can ask locally. I use to keep a small trawl just to fill the freezer but haven't had my boat in the water for some time. I enjoy castnetting, did a bunch of it in Florida......