Poults

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
from what i have seen in my neck of the woods (my own eyes and on camera), the majority of hatching takes place the first 2 weeks of June.
yes, all those hens the gobblers were with during our season haven't had time to hatch their babies yet.
i thought the concensus was how far "behind" the season was indicating lotsa late hatched poults, ones that would never have been exposed to the wet we have had the last two weeks.

Hopefully we keep it hot and dry for a spell and see tons of poults.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mike Seamster told me on 2 different occasions that the peak hatching in NC takes place during the last week in May and the first 2 weeks of June. He said DO Not mow those fields till after June 15th.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Mike Seamster told me on 2 different occasions that the peak hatching in NC takes place during the last week in May and the first 2 weeks of June. He said DO Not mow those fields till after June 15th.
yep so we should have a banner hatch.hot and dry

Reactions: jug

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm in the mountains and I've seen a mess of hens.. .. Not a single one had babies with them. I've been into catalochee and along a large section of brp. I hope guys are right that it's still a few weeks away but I ain't sure.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Our poults got killed by the rain(Only been a solid month of it). Found several dead in the pasture(bigger than quail). Gobbler was hammering away this evening so maybe she will re-nest...

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Our poults got killed by the rain(Only been a solid month of it). Found several dead in the pasture(bigger than quail). Gobbler was hammering away this evening so maybe she will re-nest...
Strange. That's about the size they should be able to fly. Were they in standing water?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yup unless you've been in Mtns in all this mess its hard to see it but unless there are fair amt eggs unhatched lot damage has been done. I'm still holding out hope even though seen some hens already regrouping which is terrible sign but I'm willing to bet there will he some pockets of areas that will be ok gonna be dry and warm and since been wet kept people from cutting fields. Well know here in few weeks one day or other

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have seen a few in the Piedmont at a couple of different places in the last few days. Some about quail size and some twice that big. I hope a few of them make it.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I'm great at finding nests and I haven't found one yet this year. I watch for them as I mow hay. Last year I found 2 with dead hens and only one with a nesting hen. I pick up the head and move around leaving the patch of grass. Usually I find a few nests every year, this year nada. Not looking good around me.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
On a good note I went to watch yesterday for turkeys and saw 4 poults, one hen and one gobbler all together. Maybe something will make it...

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
got around 30 acres cut yesterday and saw at least 2 nests that looked to have hatched normally

rodman

Ten Pointer
Saw a hen this morning and at least 3 little poults around her. Could have been more. She was in a driveway but they was in some weeds beside it so could have missed a few of them

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Covered alot of ground today working and,checking on jobs in chatham co,from moncure to,slier city Bennett,not one turkey seen,lots of field and,pastures, really hope,it was bad timing.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Saw a hen setting on a nest in forsyth co. on sat. and a tom strutting for 3 hens in yadkin co sunday .They may be late but some may still hatch.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I'm on the coast, it's been wet but hot . I rode around the farm's Sunday evening and counted over 100 poults all big enough to fly . Farmers started cutting wheat and burning so hopefully most have hatched.

Reactions: PG2

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
Saw gobbler strutting with two hens on one farm. Then saw hen with probably 8 or so poults cross the road. They didn't look to big.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
rainfall for greensboro for these three critical weeks.
may last wk 1 .15 inches
june 1st week .66 inches
june 2nd week so far .01 inches

we gonna have to blame something besides rain on a poor hatch in the central piedmont.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Can always blame the cutting fields all mowed flat as soon as that rain stopped. And of course there is always the ol faithful the yotes did it.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Land owner says he saw 6. I have none on camera but next year's stock is still showing off.

Attachments

• I__00089.JPG
    I__00089.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 27

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Seeing poults about every other day driving to work. That rain about 3 weeks ago I think put a hurting on lots of them.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seen 6 poults big enough to fly with 2 hens today and less than half mile down the road I see 3 poults with 2 hens that looked like they hatched off less than 2 weeks ago.
May have been more but could not tell .
I seen them down the road from my house here in Harnett county

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
I saw the most today I have in about a year. SO at least we had three hens with decent clutches. Hopefully some survive and we can rebuild our population.