Cordless Drill Recommendation

kingsize

Four Pointer
Well my black and decker 18V finally died after about 10 years. Looking for suggestions on an 18 or 20V cordless drill that won’t break the bank. I’m not a contractor but like working on small projects around the place and on the truck.

I’m looking for one that has a good battery expected to last many years. Have heard good things about Dewalt’s quality and Rigid’s warranty. Any experience with these?

Thanks for your input

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lol, to each his own but I HATE Lithium! I bought a new DeWalt Lithium right after they came out, used it on a roof for one full day, and took it back the next morning. The power difference I found is negligible and when they stop, they stop. There's no more switching to low gear and finishing a run of screws.....

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Lithium-ion is supposed to stop when they stop. All you need to do is look at any power curve. They maintain full power for longer than NiMH and do not slowly lose power. The great thing about them is that you can set a battery on the shelf for a few months and it still has power. NiMH lose power over time so if it isn't charged on a regular basis, it's dead when you actually need to use it.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dewalts are fine been using them for years.......for homeowner use the $99 kit is perfect

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It’s all about the batteries these days if you use one a lot.............

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Home Depot has the Ridgid cordless that comes in a good deal. For $144 you can get the drill and an impact drill with 2 batteries, charger, and bag. Or the drill along is $99. Bought one several yrs back and like it much better than Dewalt.

sll

Four Pointer
I got on a Kobalt kick and bought a few 24V electric tools last year. Really like them and extra 1.5AH batteries are only $10. Plus they have a 5 year over the counter replacement. Bad news though is Lowes is pushing Craftsman hard now and are saying you may only get some of the Kobalt items via internet and not stocked in stores.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
DeWalt, then buy two extra knockoff batteries from Amazon for 30.00 and you will be set for awhile.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Home Depot has the Ridgid cordless that comes in a good deal. For $144 you can get the drill and an impact drill with 2 batteries, charger, and bag. Or the drill along is $99. Bought one several yrs back and like it much better than Dewalt.
This is exactly what I have and it's been a good one for the past couple of years. The battery life isn't as good as what I wanted but this is my first Lithium battery drill so I don't have anything to compare it to. The drill and impact are both incredibly strong and my kit came with a radio and flashlight which have never been used. The batteries don't take long at all to charge to 100% so there's no running out of battery if you'll drop one into the charger when it's dead.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This is exactly what I have and it's been a good one for the past couple of years. The battery life isn't as good as what I wanted but this is my first Lithium battery drill so I don't have anything to compare it to. The drill and impact are both incredibly strong and my kit came with a radio and flashlight which have never been used. The batteries don't take long at all to charge to 100% so there's no running out of battery if you'll drop one into the charger when it's dead.

Yep I bought the drill/driver combo back in ‘13 when I switched companies & have used them pretty much everyday since. Brushes in the driver are starting to go out but that’s the only issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I recently got a Harbor Fraught, yes Fraught... Bauer branded 20v Lith-ion batteries 1.5 and 3.0 and so far I've found no faults with it. Time will tell if it was $$ wasted but I like now.

<>< Fish

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I'm a Makita man. I use them day in and out. I own about 6 of them. I paid big money for some but have found some for less than a $100 for a drill charger and battery at home depot. Only issue I've had is if you drop it(brushless model drill) it will kill it. I got two that have been dropped. Makes me sick that I paid that much for them and the helper drop them. I just take it out of his bonus money and keep going.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I used Dewalt and Ryobi when I was using drills every day. Neither one gave me many issues. I have a Black and Decker now that is great. If I had to pick one I’d stay with Dewalt.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've had a Ryobi set for many years now and it still works like a champ. It's not contractor grade, but does small projects around the house and used it to build my last deer blind. The one I got has the drill, saw, and flashlight. Never used the light, but that saw has been handy. The battery is swappable and works on their entire brand. Had a weedwacker I used the battery on for a bit before giving it to my dad. Admittedly that didn't last to long for him, but it was refurbed when I bought it.

I've used Dewalt for a lot of years..On the cordless side anyway. when not being used as a drill or Screwdriver its in my reloading shop trimming Brass so its in constant use. My next favorite Drill is my Hitachi Drill w/cord .. I know they make them cordless but never have run across one for $99 so Dewalt keeps winning out....lol....

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I've had a Rigid for a few years...love it. I recently bought one of their demo tools and it's a beast, plus you can order different heads for it. Haven't tried the new heads but it's a tough, well made tool.

Smitty

Six Pointer
You cant go wrong with Dewalt. If you keep your eye on the Lowes or Home Depot sales, you can usually get a deal on a combo set.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I picked up a kobalt 24v combo set. Our crew guys really like them and the warranty is 5 years. Be careful, the 24v stuff will twist your wrist if you bind up.

witler

Eight Pointer
I had a home repair business with 3-4 workers so I could not afford to buy top name brands to get abused. I purchased Ryobi kit, drill, sawsall, and light, abused but lasted a good 10 yrs. Plus if batteries, etc. needed a Home Depot most always nearby.