More Clover Questions

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
My clover plots are coming up pretty decent. It looks like some of the oats from last fall are coming through the clover now. Should I spray it with Arrest Max?

Also will this clover die or go dormant in the heat of the summer then come back with the cooler weather in the fall? This is my first year with clover I'm trying to get a grasp of what to expect through the coming months.

I will post a picture for reference below.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
d5c77a422d195af10eb323279920c884.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jug

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks great..I wouldn't do a darn thing but mow it after it seeds and spray for weeds if they get out of control.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The oats will act as a sun barrier for the young clover. Plus deer and turkey will love it when it heads out.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would not do jack. Looks great. That is what my clover pasture up in Rockingham county looked like 4 years ago. I got chicory mixed in now with orchardgrass and ryegrass. Some fescue has gotten in there in places. I need to hit those fescue clumps with glyphosate.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
Just camp out on that place come November...[emoji6]

Yesss!! That’s the ultimate goal. I’ve got a stand on it and one below it in transition. Usually get good buck pics on it in September too.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They will hit it hard in early October and again in early November. They like a little salad with the acorns

25contender

Twelve Pointer
We were out mowing the clover last weekend and it really looks great with all the rain. I will have to go spray for grass again due to the rain. We also planted all the Chufa fields and Pearl Millet strips. This rain will be great for all the planting we did. We have a new gas line going in right now and will plant another couple acres near one of our creeks with clover in September.

This guy was hitting the clover hard before the end of last season. hoping he will be back soon!!
20171222_201325-L.jpg

Last edited:

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
We were out mowing the clover last weekend and it really looks great with all the rain. I will have to go spray for grass again due to the rain. We also planted all the Chufa fields and Pearl Millet strips. This rain will be great for all the planting we did. We have a new gas line going in right now and will plant another couple acres near one of our creeks with clover in September.

This guy was hitting the clover hard before the end of last season. hoping he will be back soon!!
20171222_201325-L.jpg

If he comes back he’s going to be a dandy!

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
My clover has gotten scorched pretty bad with that 2 weeks of hot and dry weather. It’s pretty burnt. Will it come back in full?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My clover has gotten scorched pretty bad with that 2 weeks of hot and dry weather. It’s pretty burnt. Will it come back in full?

Probably not, once it scorches that crown it's not good. I've had to replant multiple times due to drought. It won't kill every plant, but it will make for a sparce plot that will be overrun by weeds.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer

Probably not, once it scorches that crown it's not good. I've had to replant multiple times due to drought. It won't kill every plant, but it will make for a sparce plot that will be overrun by weeds.

Well I guess I’ll be replanting. I need to take a picture of it and show you. Some of it is still green but we had those two weeks of really bad heat and no rain, not sure if any of it will rebound.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
T
Well I guess I’ll be replanting. I need to take a picture of it and show you. Some of it is still green but we had those two weeks of really bad heat and no rain, not sure if any of it will rebound.

Two weeks, you'll be ok. We've had .5 inches since May.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
T

Two weeks, you'll be ok. We've had .5 inches since May.

Wow. Yea we just had 2 bad weeks. It has rained and inch the last 2 days.