Citation Fish

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I've only been in NC for 6 or so years (man time flies) but I just found out about the Citation Program and thought it would be cool to get some certs put on the wall of my office. Wouldn't you know I finally got my first citation fish, a 17" bullhead this weekend in a local Raleigh lake. I set out specifically targeting this fish on Saturday and sat in the rain for hours before I finally landed that fish. All in all an excellent day of fishing, I couldn't be happier.

Side note - I missed the sea mullet recently by 0.2 lbs. BUMMER but I'm five fish away from the Master Angler, haha. It's a fun little deal I challenge all the forum member to compete it'd be a fun event for the year. Who can get the most citations by year's end?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
the ciatation program is neat. I never applied for a freshwater one but was interested in getting one for a drum. catching several that were eligible in one weekend was a blast so i put in for one.
My ciatation came back. it was for a barracuda. LOL

Congrats on your catch thelivecanary.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I caught my first N.C. citation last fall. A 3.2 lb pompano. Caught several fish that’d qualify, but the older I get, the more I’m into it. It’s on my wall beside the TARP (Tennessee angler recognition program) certificate I got from my 20-1/4” small mouth.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You mean “receipt for a good time”...............???
Yeah, I had several that really were being obnoxious over the years that I was citing and I shouldn't have but they used the line "don't you ever just want to have fun"? And I replied with "I am having fun right now". Of course that didn't do a thing but make things worse, but they were/had been an ass through the whole incident. So I figured I would let them know they weren't the only one that could be an ass.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I caught my first N.C. citation last fall. A 3.2 lb pompano. Caught several fish that’d qualify, but the older I get, the more I’m into it. It’s on my wall beside the TARP (Tennessee angler recognition program) certificate I got from my 20-1/4” small mouth.

Because of our conversation with the shiner / dace yesterday I spent a few hours looking up the "bullhead" I caught and it is a bullhead but it's the white bullhead aka White Catfish, which needs to be 21" or 4" longer than the fish I caught. Back to the lake I guess. I feel like I'm getting closer but oh, no Cigar. The giveaway was the white barbells on the chin of the fish I caught which are not associated with brown or black bullhead.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Because of our conversation with the shiner / dace yesterday I spent a few hours looking up the "bullhead" I caught and it is a bullhead but it's the white bullhead aka White Catfish, which needs to be 21" or 4" longer than the fish I caught. Back to the lake I guess. I feel like I'm getting closer but oh, no Cigar. The giveaway was the white barbells on the chin of the fish I caught which are not associated with brown or black bullhead.

I wouldn’t be worth a $h!t trying to ID bullheads. Very rarely run across any. Madtoms bout the closest thing I see other than the 3 main reservoir cats.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I will say though, if you’re looking big bullheads, go try Sharon Harris. No professional experience but I got buddies that bowfish it quite regularly and they shoot some of the biggest bullheads I’ve ever seen. They shot one the other night that was 6-1/2 lbs.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, I had several that really were being obnoxious over the years that I was citing and I shouldn't have but they used the line "don't you ever just want to have fun"? And I replied with "I am having fun right now". Of course that didn't do a thing but make things worse, but they were/had been an ass through the whole incident. So I figured I would let them know they weren't the only one that could be an ass.

I wasn’t always the pillar of ethics and morals I am now????
I will say, I was never rude or impolite and was always treated with respect. That’s been a few years ago.........the “man” knew who we were..............

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I need to up my Salt Water count, even though I don’t apply for them. I know I’ve caught a solid 12 of the freshwater ones with maybes on a few more. I think I’ve got 3 salt water ones if I applied. Species wise, not actual numbers. I have no idea on the count total.

Donovan

Spike
I've only been in NC for 6 or so years (man time flies) but I just found out about the Citation Program and thought it would be cool to get some certs put on the wall of my office. Wouldn't you know I finally got my first citation fish, a 17" bullhead this weekend in a local Raleigh lake. I set out specifically targeting this fish on Saturday and sat in the rain for hours before I finally landed that fish. All in all an excellent day of fishing, I couldn't be happier.

Side note - I missed the sea mullet recently by 0.2 lbs. BUMMER but I'm five fish away from the Master Angler, haha. It's a fun little deal I challenge all the forum member to compete it'd be a fun event for the year. Who can get the most citations by year's end?

I feel your pain, twice now I've missed the Redear Sunfish by 3/4 to 1/2 an inch.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I feel your pain, twice now I've missed the Redear Sunfish by 3/4 to 1/2 an inch.

Update: The bullhead was actually a White Catfish so it didn't even count for that. Which, is kind of BS because a white catfish is actually a White Bullhead Catfish, but they gave it its own category, 'white catfish.' Just another way to hold the man down, ya know?

treedog

Spike

Congrats on your catch !