so who has the most vacation time to take for deer season?

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’ve got about 40 days saved up, by deer season I’ll be around 48. Plan to take off a week or so to hunt this year, plus whatever time I take off to go home for the holidays. Just need to make sure I save enough to go on a trip next summer and go hunting in Wyoming next fall.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I get 33 days per year plus some comp time here and there.....used 4 already......no vacation plans as of yet......so all the rest will get burned in the fall......no carryover in my job....use em or lose em

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I think Im at 46 days or so PDO a year and can also bank extra.
Little more than 4 years ago when this thread started.....

But for me only working 4 days every weekend is a 3 day hunt plus I take the week of Thanksgiving and week before and after Christmas off..
That gives me more time than I need.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I have 3 stands about a 100 yards from my front door that cover two separate fields and one cutover . Before I retired I hunted an hour or two just about every afternoon. I see no reason to change my schedule now. I rotate them so I only hunt one roughly once a week. I've heard rumors of folks having to drive 15 to 20 minutes just to deer hunt. That's just crazy! :LOL:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I started my landscape business in 1994 thinking that I would get to take off and go hunting when I want. Well that did not happen.
Guess I am blessed with such a good business but sure would be nice to take off and go hunting. I usually can take off on Fridays in November and December and that's it. Tomorrow will be the first day I am going to be able to take off for Turkey hunting.....
Figures?

Last edited:

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Should have around 30 days come the rut ,but thankfully work at night so can hunt everyday in the mornings if i wanted and not take a single day of vacation.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Back in Texas, I would take off the Friday before season and set up shop at the lease. Then I'd hunt almost all day opening day and half of Sunday, driving back. Back then, it was a 3 hour drive.

I plan to do similar this year. Since my spot is about 45 minutes away, I'll just head up early Saturday morning and hunt most weekends. May take a week day off or two to burn PTO.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With my new job, I have a very flexible schedule, as in I get paid the same amount so long as I work at least 20 hours, and I can do routing and scheduling at night.... SOOOO.... technically..... I could hunt every day and do my work at night, or in the pre dawn hours....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I work 12 days a month...have plenty of time but since it comes in here mid October I dont hunt till Nov due to fishing at the beach

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I earn over 2 days a month off so I guess I could try to take most of the season off. But my work piles up so in order to keep the alligators in line I take chunks of time off. Usually a week during muzzleloader and then 4 or 5 days in a row work a few days and then back at it. November has 3 holidays for me and with me supposedly working 4 day work week that's pretty good. I remember the days when I first started out and I had hardly any vacation and zero flexibility in my job.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Y'all burn vacation time for deer not me I use wknds for deer and save my time off for spring/fall turkey hunting few fishing days and family time.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I currently have 24 day I have to take off between now and the first of the year, or lose them. I also have 30 days in the bank that we are allowed to carry over from year to year. But I won't touch those unless I have no choice. Any leave time we have in the bank at retirement, we get paid for. My last year of work, which will be in about 7 years, I'm gonna hoard as much leave time as possible for the $$. It ought to pay for a nice out of state trip of some kind.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I tell the boss to suck it and go whenever I feel like it. Kind of hard for him to fire me lol. If it feels right, I will stop what I'm doing and slip into the woods. I can hunt every afternoon if I wish and hunted maybe 5 mornings last fall.

My flexibility does have some constraints. I'm technically a stay at home dad and my son isn't school age quite yet. Wife's job offers flexibility so she doesn't have to use vacation days when I need to get hazardous stuff done without my son in tow. MIL was here during peak of the 2017 rut. They say careful what you do on Valentine's Day. We will have our second child in October. Guess what that means? Wife will be on maternity leave until after the first of the year. Dad just retired but that won't really change the routine other than I have an unpaid employee now :)

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I work PRN as a nurse. I'm only obligated to work one 12 hour shift every two weeks. I don't get vacation time, but I don't have to ask for time off either. I self schedule. From january-august, I average 3-4 shifts a week, then dial back to just 1-2 a week during hunting season.

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
I have 6 weeks vacation and work 12 hour rotating shifts. With vacation and the scheduled days off from October to the week before Christmas, I put in a couple of guest appearances at work, but it took a lot of years to get those six weeks.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I resemble that remark about retirees. But I wanted to say that when I was working for the State of NC in the early years you had to take any earned vacation before years end or you would lose it. So I would use sick days, comp time, but not vacation then in the last two months of the year I'd have two or three weeks that I needed to use. Luckily I had good bosses that would approve my taking it all at once during deer season.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
I work from the house when I’m not traveling for work, so I’ll hunt a few hrs in the morning when home if schedule allows. I’ll then work later in the afternoon or that night to make up for the few hrs I hunted that morning. Last fall, I was on the road 8 out of 10 weeks, so I wasn’t home much. I get 4 weeks vacation, but was only able to use 2 weeks last year. 1 week was for the wife/kids in the summer and 1 week around Christmas. Clients dictate my schedule, but I try to block a few days off during the rut.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
This year I'm scheduled to work 48 days out of the 116 days of deer season. Eastern gun season I'm off 53 days out of 80. No need to hunt deer that much though, with the reduced bag limits. Small game and fish be wary or just might listen to the hounds.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Since I retired this Spring my wife said she figured I'd be hunting every day this Fall. Told her not to worry about that; said that too much of anything gets old after awhile.

I'll pick and choose my days, hunting a couple of hours in the early mornings / late afternoons, and concentrate on the period between the last week of October & the middle of November......

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
I'm very fortunate to have worked the same job for 40 years. I have 8 weeks vacation and always take November and December off. This will be my last year of doing that. Come the end of October, I'll take my vacation and be done with working.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
My uncle and now his son somehow manage to manipulate state job into a november and december without much work.

Of course i am jealous but dang does it really take two months to kill two bucks? :)

Any way for you NON retirees, how many vacation days will you take to play with the deer?
What is this "vacation time " that you speak of?

boomer

Twelve Pointer
From Sept till the end of deer season, I will take about every Friday off to deer hunt or go to the coast to fish. If the fish are really biting ,I may call in and take a few extra days off.

estaton

Button Buck
Right now I have 17 days of vacation remaining. Going to take as many 3 or 4 day weekends as I can