Mossberg rattle

ducknut

Eight Pointer
I have a mossberg 500 20 gauge. For a couple of years I'm been threatening to use it as my turkey gun. I think next year will be there year I carry it instead of my beloved ithaca 37. That is if I can quiet the forearm. It's unbelievably loud. Anyone ever have any success quieting one? A friend said the houge synthetics helped. Internet search didn't really help. I'd rather put the money towards another gun than the stocks if it's not a big improvement. Thanks

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The rattle is resonated quite a bit by the wood on the forearm but there have been thousands of turkeys killed by them. Quite frankly I would say leaving one at home because of a rattle is just, well an excuse.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
it don't rattle if you don't move,,and if your moving the rattle is the least of my concerns, turkey will see the movement before that rattle bothers them

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Every pump i have ever held rattled like that. It bothers us much more than the turkeys.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ducknut

Eight Pointer
My mossy rattles a lot more than anyone I've seen. It's more of the way I hunt. I walk alot of miles while turkey hunting. I disagree on it not mattering. Not every turkey comes in gobbling all the way to the gun barrel. Hard to have the gun up and ready in the right direction every time.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
That’s all I turkey hunt with now. At first I kept a rubber band around barrel and forend. It kept it from rattling. Now I don’t even worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep get some rubber bands and use them. Been doing that for years on gear. That of electric tape. I do that for slings, mags, straps.......
It works.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I carried a 20ga mossy 500 this year. Killed one bird, shot at another. I stalked up to 80yds from another 2 and non noticed the rattle that I also hate.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk