Bridge building

ctsnow

Six Pointer
In the process of buying a piece of land that I want to build a few bridges on to cross a couple ditches and one creek. Post some pictures up bridges you have built and/or ideas. Looking for a bridge design that will last and not wash away when the creek gets out, and relatively inexpensive as well.

Thanks!

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In the process of buying a piece of land that I want to build a few bridges on to cross a couple ditches and one creek. Post some pictures up bridges you have built and/or ideas. Looking for a bridge design that will last and not wash away when the creek gets out, and relatively inexpensive as well.

Thanks!

"not wash out"? That depends on location-location-location! How high does the water get? Is this flat terrain? Is the bridge for cars, trucks, logging equip, atv's?

Good luck with it but I see no way that anybody could recommend something sight-unseen!! I suggest you get someone out there with some experience in construction, drainage, etc..........even if you have to pay them!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Ten years or so back I caught a place going out of business and was able to get a steal on treated lumber. I built 4 bridges on my place ranging from 5 feet to 16 feet. All are made by laying 4 treated 6x6 and covering them with 2x6. You put a bridge where you need a bridge sometimes and one in particular is in low ground and at least once a year it floats downstream about 50 feet and has to be hauled back up. I would hate to guess what that bridge weighs but it doesn't seem to bother the water at all.

ctsnow

Six Pointer
The bridges will be used for atvs/ side by side. Considered either putting in concrete footings with 6x6s set in them or attaching to surrounding trees. They will be a in a low lying area that is considered flood plain where the creek will get out a few times per year.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I tried tying mine to trees with heavy nylon rope but the water pressure kept breaking them. I figured if I were to use chain the water would just tear the bridge apart so I just to used to fishing it back up the creek with the tractor.

ctsnow

Six Pointer
I tried tying mine to trees with heavy nylon rope but the water pressure kept breaking them. I figured if I were to use chain the water would just tear the bridge apart so I just to used to fishing it back up the creek with the tractor.
I was thinking about using lag bolts to attach it to the trees instead of pouring concrete footings.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was thinking about using lag bolts to attach it to the trees instead of pouring concrete footings.
Attaching to live trees is something that needs to be done with a flexible option. Lag bolts will work loose very quickly with the trees swaying in the breeze. The galvanized lag bolts also seem to work ok in some trees, others just rot out around them and the bolts come right out. Just my experience with trying to attach anything to live trees in general.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I worked up a design and had a structure guy look at it for load and safety.
What we ended up with and will be strong enough for loaded ATV, gear and people plus the dead load.
We looked at using 3 each 2x8 glue and screw with 2x6 decking.
Plan was to use 3 beams made from 3 2x8. Those spaced for a 5 to 6' wide deck. Letting the ends overhang 4" and with the one being centered.
After the deck was on then screw a 2x4 or 4x4 rail on the side to keep from sliding off.

Was going to cable anchor on side so it would float and lay on one side and could be winched back into place after a flood if it happened.
Never built that one due to property being lost. Had built them in the past for use on atv with a similar design just needed 2x8 on this one due to 14 to 16' length.

ctsnow

Six Pointer
I worked up a design and had a structure guy look at it for load and safety.
What we ended up with and will be strong enough for loaded ATV, gear and people plus the dead load.
We looked at using 3 each 2x8 glue and screw with 2x6 decking.
Plan was to use 3 beams made from 3 2x8. Those spaced for a 5 to 6' wide deck. Letting the ends overhang 4" and with the one being centered.
After the deck was on then screw a 2x4 or 4x4 rail on the side to keep from sliding off.

Was going to cable anchor on side so it would float and lay on one side and could be winched back into place after a flood if it happened.
Never built that one due to property being lost. Had built them in the past for use on atv with a similar design just needed 2x8 on this one due to 14 to 16' length.
If I can find some 6x6s that are long enough, thats basically the same design I was thinking. Might try to find some power poles instead of 6x6s like @muzzleodor2 mentioned

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Maybe cable back to a solid anchor point do the Bridges can “float” rather than wash down. Kind of like a put in style dock. I bet that much cable is spendy though.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure if it would fit your creek but in Va me and my grandpa when was alive used railroad ties and on each side filled 50 gallon drums with rocks them 2 bridges have survived 3 flash floods and are about 24 years old

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
There are old tracks below my house they are forever maintaining. It would be costly in gas though. I see massive piles of railroad ties and spikes with the occasional old plates along the tracks. Even has a lot of the insulators on the posts still though some have fallen. I think they give them away. I moved 30-40 to repair a wrap around retaining wall, steps and those things are heavy.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yup where I'm from you used to just go pick some up was plenty looks like down here you gotta buy em but they are heavy and will last

ctsnow

Six Pointer
Not sure if it would fit your creek but in Va me and my grandpa when was alive used railroad ties and on each side filled 50 gallon drums with rocks them 2 bridges have survived 3 flash floods and are about 24 years old
You have a picture? Not sure I understand with the barrels.