Work in progress

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
LH flintlock in 54. 21" barrel as is, unless I shorten it more.

Still need to drop the comb a little more, shorten the forearm and in general a lot of wood to come off.

Stock started as a rectangle so it's been whittled on a bunch.

Attachments

• IMG_20180426_183259045.jpg
    IMG_20180426_183259045.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 45

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I wish I had the skill to do that.... Seems whenever I envision one thing and start working, my hands won't listen to my brain and I wind up with something that isn't anywhere close to what I had in mind....

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
You need to do a half dozen, and its starts getting easier.

That said, this black walnut is OLD, and its grain very particular compared to other samples I had. It doesn't like to shave graciously.

But a rasp will form it quick.

Thats a whole lot of whittling, no doubt! I am working on my first build. It is kicking my butt. I had the blank worked though, Ramrod hole drilled, barrel channel cut, stock carved for a Southern Mountain Rifle.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Stick with it and the nanosecond you feel like taking a short cut, put it down and take a break. Sometimes you may need to set it down a day or more.

And keep your tools sharp.

Stick with it and the nanosecond you feel like taking a short cut, put it down and take a break. Sometimes you may need to set it down a day or more.

And keep your tools sharp.
I am quick to walk away, believe me. One thing is that the blank I bought was ash. More than one experienced builder suggested it was a poor choice for a first build. Thing was, I'm 64 and figured one Longrifle might be all I ever build, and ash is what I wanted it to be.
I am enjoying the process, even if not especially happy with the progress.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Ash is definitely a hard wood to work.

But if need be, you'll be able to butt stroke anything that you miss or make angry.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Following along with the thread....watching intently. One of these days I think I'd enjoy building my own flinter mountain rifle. I enjoy the old sidelock guns. The new inlines do nothing for me. :)

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I picked up a butt plate, but once it was delivered I was not satisfied with it, so I'm on the search for another. Half tempted to find some 1/8" sheet bronze and get out a hammer...

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
If you are near any of the six NMLRA Charter Muzzleloading Gun Clubs in NC, consider taking your rifle or fowler project to one of their scheduled shoots. Most all of them have a "resident" gunmaker in their fold. For anyone building in the central part of the state around Raleigh, you can come with your rifle project to the Lafayette Long Rifles match on the fourth Sunday of the month.

Folks from Jacksonville to Greensboro attend monthly. There are a few known gunmakers like David Ricketts of Greensboro, and Bobby Alphin of Dunn that have built longrifles for interested folks. Check out the Lafayette Long Rifles Facebook page if you or your wife/girlfriend is registered. Many are black powder hunters as well. Check out their website if you're not on Facebook.

If you can squeeze in a few days around September 21-23, you can come to the NC State Muzzle Loading Rifle Championship Matches. It attracts about a half-dozen custom gunmakers that come to shoot & sell. About sixty competitors from Asheville to Jacksonville camp out for the three day event.

David Ricketts, Jr of Greensboro made this copy of a US Martial pistol. There are no castings and it is not a kit.
The lock parts, the barrel, and the brass furniture are all hand-made from scratch. Somebody worth talking to if one needs help.

. IMG_0559.JPG

Buck Buchanan
Field Rep - NC
NMLRA