Best vehicle for long distance travel hunting

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I bought my 4x4 diesel Excursion just for this purpose. Plenty of room, very comfortable, 4 wheel drive, Can actually sleep in it if need be, and decent on fuel. I drive it to Montana every elk season.

loaded up with two Elk In coolers and all gear for two weeks.
IMG_0528_zpsf2b0ee5c-L.jpg

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Those are amazing! They thought of absolutely everything.

I need that for a DIY elk trip.

Man I saw one of those parked on a backroad in the Francis Marion NF in Feb while we were hog hunting and I jammed the brakes and backed up just to get another look.

"SWEET!!!!", doesn't even begin to describe it...... If it hadn't been 5AM I'd have stopped by for a tour

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
What you looking at doing with it? Do you plan to tow? Camp? Haul deer and coolers?
More than one person or longer than 3 to 5 hrs?

I would go full size and 8' bed with a cover. 2 or 4 door based on number of people or gear.
I only drive a few hrs but having a 4d 8 foot with cover sure is nice.
I keep food in the passenger side back, boots and day clothing jackets driver side back seat. Front passenger side has drinks, handguns not on me and long gun.
Back of truck in totes I have extra boots, shoes, clothing, drink cooler, food cooler, meat cooler and knife box with all cleaning, skinning, packing gear.
Trailer with tool box, stand parts, pop ups, tools, extas. Atv behind tool box with room to have extra cooler or deer to lay.

I stay packed most the time of oths and drygoods for hunting season. All I need to do is hook up trailer, add ice in coolers and cold food. I keep cases of water and G2 and extras.

I can hunt a week or long weekend and not need to hit the store. Having extra food and water I only need to hit the store every 2 to 3 weeks other than beer and cold food that I keep stashed at the house.

I know it is over kill but in the past the PITA was loading gear making a few stops for food or drinks. Now it is easy for me, takes me 10 min and I'm on the road for hunting plus can stay gone a few days or a week.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I’m wanting to buy an another ford ranger pickup and put a topper on it for turkey hunting out of state, they are descent trucks and cheap and I know a lot about working on them since I had a couple back in the day and have tore them down before ... the s10 pickup/blazer ain’t too bad... f150’s are pretty good, ... all what you prefer I guess
My ranger is 14 years old over 200,000 miles still going strong. The old Chevy S10's the preferred truck of coal miners in Appalachian Mtns. I've hadc2 loved both wore them out

Smarr28

Spike
It depends on are you taking other people with you while hunting? I have an 03’-150 4x4 rand it works great. Extended cab with Shell. Enough room for two people, can keep clothes in extended cab, along with rifles. Put everything else in bed, that is dry and stays locked up. If I hunted by myself I would purchase a 4x4 Extended cab used Toyota. Great on gas, and just enough room for one person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
It depends on are you taking other people with you while hunting? I have an 03’-150 4x4 rand it works great. Extended cab with Shell. Enough room for two people, can keep clothes in extended cab, along with rifles. Put everything else in bed, that is dry and stays locked up. If I hunted by myself I would purchase a 4x4 Extended cab used Toyota. Great on gas, and just enough room for one person.

Which Toyota is great on gas? My 2.7 4 cylinder 4x4 Tacoma got worse mileage than my current 4 door V8 F150 4x4 and my old Ranger 4x4 with the 4.0 V6.

<>< Fish

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Which Toyota is great on gas? My 2.7 4 cylinder 4x4 Tacoma got worse mileage than my current 4 door V8 F150 4x4 and my old Ranger 4x4 with the 4.0 V6.

<>< Fish

Yup, the new engines were a major let down for the Tacoma. That and not having a lot of head room was the nail in the coffin. Which is a shame, I loved the 2nd gen Taco. One of my favorite trucks.

Last edited:

Smarr28

Spike

<>< Fish

I have a 2017 4.0 V-6 Taco and it’s pretty decent on gas. It’s better than the 2016/2015 V-6 and better than the 4 cylinders in previous years. The good thing about the Toyota is you’ll be hunting out of it for the next 15-20 years. If you choose to sell you’ll get your money out of it.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have a 2017 4.0 V-6 Taco and it’s pretty decent on gas. It’s better than the 2016/2015 V-6 and better than the 4 cylinders in previous years. The good thing about the Toyota is you’ll be hunting out of it for the next 15-20 years. If you choose to sell you’ll get your money out of it.

Funny you say that. I thought the 2016 and 2017 taco v6 were the same.
That did they change?
Also thought the V6 was a 3.5.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

<>< Fish

My new truck, 2017 ram 6.4 4d 4x4 8' bed gets better mpg than my old 2012 taco v6 4x4.
That was one of the worst trucks I have had for fuel mileage. Also had a lot of down time.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
My new truck, 2017 ram 6.4 4d 4x4 8' bed gets better mpg than my old 2012 taco v6 4x4.
That was one of the worst trucks I have had for fuel mileage. Also had a lot of down time.

I just drove to Ganville, WV and back averaging almost 20mpg with no gear in the truck other than a little fishing gear. That's better than my Tacoma or Ranger. I've made the trip to Wilmington and back several times in my FX4 getting almost 22mpg that's with 3.73 gearing, 5.4 V8, 4 doors and the 6 1/2' bed 4 adults, kayaks and lots or gear.

<>< Fish

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm curious to know if anyone has a preference of vehicles for long distance travel hunting. I'm interested in high gas mileage, ample storage, comfort, affordability etc. If anyone has a setup that works well for them, I'd like to hear about it.

Casa 212,,,,,fast, plenty of cargo room, STOL,,,,what more could one ask for,,,,gas mileage sucks though, but you get where you are going way faster

220px-VHVHA.JPG

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I'm curious to know if anyone has a preference of vehicles for long distance travel hunting. I'm interested in high gas mileage, ample storage, comfort, affordability etc. If anyone has a setup that works well for them, I'd like to hear about it.

Casa 212,,,,,fast, plenty of cargo room, STOL,,,,what more could one ask for,,,,gas mileage sucks though, but you get where you are going way faster

220px-VHVHA.JPG

Shoot woodmoose if you got it like that why ain’t we in Alaska hunting???????

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Shoot woodmoose if you got it like that why ain’t we in Alaska hunting???????

Time Good Sir,,,,Time,,,,I'm a might busy lately - can barely take a full day off of my duties to God and Country,,,,,,,,

and of course I just WISH I had a Casa 212 at my ready disposal,,,,flew a lot of miles in them bad butted birds,,,even landed with one on the Pan American Hwy in El Salvador a long time ago,,,but that is story for "in person",,,,,,,

damarshall7

Four Pointer
Diesel cargo van. Everything stays locked up and out of sight. You can park and camp about anywhere. Mine has a 35 gallon tank and gets 20mpg highway.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Everybody will laugh but I enjoy my Lexus RX300... roomy, super comfortable, great ride and the all wheel drive is more than sufficient for 99% of hunting........it’s gone everywhere my old Jeep would with no issues. I just have a rack on the back to avoid blood on my interior....

Damnit Travis - thought we decided you would not mention your girl truck on here anymore...... between you and the subaru..... yall are killing me......lol

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used a Honda Fit for two years pulling my atv behind it. Gas milage was awesome as well as storage space. Just sucked if I needed to get in somewhere that was really muddy or wet.
good lord ...... you could have kept that one to yourself.......

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Everybody will laugh but I enjoy my Lexus RX300... roomy, super comfortable, great ride and the all wheel drive is more than sufficient for 99% of hunting........it’s gone everywhere my old Jeep would with no issues. I just have a rack on the back to avoid blood on my interior....

Damnit Travis - thought we decided you would not mention your girl truck on here anymore...... between you and the subaru..... yall are killing me......lol

Not my fault you don’t care enough about your deer to make sure their ride to the processor is as comfy as possible lol....and I shouldn’t be killing you..... the F150 I had to pull out of a hole last season tho.. has yet to live down being rescued by a Lexus.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not my fault you don’t care enough about your deer to make sure their ride to the processor is as comfy as possible lol....and I shouldn’t be killing you..... the F150 I had to pull out of a hole last season tho.. has yet to live down being rescued by a Lexus.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Id like to have a 4x4 panel van on a good set of all terrains....some good old red neck custom design could make it happen sometine for me. Till then ill use the 2500 crew cab 4x4 truck.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

JD1107

good lord ...... you could have kept that one to yourself.......
The look on the sheriffs face as I passed him heading home through Scotland Neck with a dead buck in the back of the trailer was well worth sharing with everyone.