What's a good game camera

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
I have had several brands. I really like Covert (and they stand behind their product). You can find some cheap Primos that seem to do a good job.

The only ones I actively am against are Wild Game Innovations - I have bad luck and even worse luck with their warranty support.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Have had good luck with primos and stealthcam cameras not overly exspensive and take fairly good quality pics both day and night

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
I only have WGI cameras. Five years running on both picture and video mode. I don't know about their service work because I've never had a problem. Had one that was under water a few days. I opened it up, took everything out, let it dry, put it back together and it still worked. I think according to others, that I'm a very lucky man!

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have Coverts, Brownings, Moultries, Tasco and Snyper cameras. The ones I like the best in order are (1) Covert MP8 Black, outstanding battery life, good pictures, don't do the best in thickets. However, you can lighten the pictures up with a program and they are fine. (2) Snyper, they have great battery life, take great pictures. They are my newest, so longevity is not yet established. (3) This is fast becoming an exceptional camera for me and may be my favorite camera after using them another year , it is a Tasco 6 mp trail camera. Model number 119270CW, $24.88 each at Wal Mart. I kept a couple of these out last fall. Battery life is exceptional, picture quality is awesome. I hadn't found anything I don't like about these so far. I can buy four of these for about what my next camera costs. I don't even bother using lock boxes on these. They are hard to find at Wal Mart, I grab everyone they put out. I just made a post in the General Forum. All the pictures in the post except the last one was made with one of these cameras.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I have Coverts, Brownings, Moultries, Tasco and Snyper cameras. The ones I like the best in order are (1) Covert MP8 Black, outstanding battery life, good pictures, don't do the best in thickets. However, you can lighten the pictures up with a program and they are fine. (2) Snyper, they have great battery life, take great pictures. They are my newest, so longevity is not yet established. (3) This is fast becoming an exceptional camera for me and may be my favorite camera after using them another year , it is a Tasco 6 mp trail camera. Model number 119270CW, $24.88 each at Wal Mart. I kept a couple of these out last fall. Battery life is exceptional, picture quality is awesome. I hadn't found anything I don't like about these so far. I can buy four of these for about what my next camera costs. I don't even bother using lock boxes on these. They are hard to find at Wal Mart, I grab everyone they put out. I just made a post in the General Forum. All the pictures in the post except the last one was made with one of these cameras.

I have a few of those Tasco cameras...while they serve a purpose, they are not at all what I would consider a quality trail camera. Pics are grainy, lots of false triggers, night flash sucks...BUT, I expect that from a $25 camera. Not even in the same league of camera as "quality" cameras though.

perry

Old Mossy Horns
I picked up a browning trail camera a while back and really like it I think it was around $100 it was one of the dark ops elite models.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Looking for good game camera for my grandson; any suggestions?

good? Reconyx,,,there is a reason most wildlife pros use them for camera traps,,,but the cost (ouch),,,

others can perform well too,,,,generally (in my opinion) most of the mid grade chinese made ones are all relatively the same so go for it,,,,

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a few of those Tasco cameras...while they serve a purpose, they are not at all what I would consider a quality trail camera. Pics are grainy, lots of false triggers, night flash sucks...BUT, I expect that from a $25 camera. Not even in the same league of camera as "quality" cameras though.
I may have gotten a good run, because my pics are pretty darn good. Time will tell, I suspect they have longevity issues. I'll see, as I will put my cameras out in a month or so and leave them until after deer season.

Bean

Eight Pointer
I know a lot of folks hate them but I have had great luck with the WGI cams specifically the Blade series. I have 5 that have outlasted my Cuddebacks . I will say sometimes at night they can blur out some but not very often. I have one Moultrie that I absolutely detest I think you could drive a dump truck in front of it and it won't take a pic been sent back twice I finally got tired of dealing with it and cut my losses.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
badlandbucks asked upthread what is your definition of good. My definition is longevity at a low price. Battery longevity would be a bonus. I don't care about picture clarify. I'm not going to get a print made out of the photo. If it is just sharp enough to count points on the antlers, it is good enough for me. Low price is important because if the camera gets stolen, it won't phase me. My limit on cost is $100.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
badlandbucks asked upthread what is your definition of good. My definition is longevity at a low price. Battery longevity would be a bonus. I don't care about picture clarify. I'm not going to get a print made out of the photo. If it is just sharp enough to count points on the antlers, it is good enough for me. Low price is important because if the camera gets stolen, it won't phase me. My limit on cost is $100.

smart move for many blocks of woods,,

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Really depends on your cost. I usually run Brownings or Coverts. Both stand behind their cams and offer good value for the money. For under $150, they are the best on the market imo.

I picked up two Browning Strike Force HD Elite's for $98 a piece about a month or two ago. If they were at their normal $150 price, I'd pick up the Covert's for $120.

Last Covert I had, the temperature didn't work. Stuck on 120f. Emailed support, had an answer within a hour and replacement cam with return shipping label for mine in another hour. Very happy with their service.

Last edited:

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Very good info. That's exactly why i asked that question. Everyone's definition may be different. Personally, $100 is about my minimum. I don't even bother with anything cheaper. The Radix MT-100 ($99) is about the basement of what I consider acceptable (for what i like).

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I try to find a 'middle of the road" camera. One that maybe don't take the very best pictures but seem to do well enough. One that don't eat batteries like candy and has lasted in the woods for a couple seasons with no issues....and under $100, because I put some out on public lands and if it gets stolen I don't take too big of a hit.

My Moultrie A30 camera has been just that. The picture quality aint the best but it does take decent pictures. Good enough for my scouting efforts. A set of batteries usually lasts all season, even in cold months here in the mountains. And it didn't cost me over $100. I believe it's a good choice for a middle-road camera.