Does NC have a short Archery season?

berryman26

Six Pointer
Hello,
I'm normally a gun hunter, so this would be my first archery season.
I just read some of the new hunting dates and noticed the archery season is short? Aren't archery seasons normally the longest in most states? Or am I just misunderstanding this?

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Blog/changes-in-regulations-for-2018-2019

Deer Seasons
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Locations Type of Season and Dates
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Northeastern Archery: Sept. 8 – Sept. 28, 2018
Blackpowder: Sept. 29 – Oct. 12, 2018
Gun: Oct. 13, 2018 – Jan. 1, 2019
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Southeastern Archery: Sept. 8 – Sept. 28, 2018
Blackpowder: Sept. 29 – Oct. 12, 2018
Gun: Oct. 13, 2018 – Jan. 1, 2019
Central Archery: Sept. 8 – Oct. 26, 2018
Blackpowder: Oct. 27 – Nov. 9, 2018
Gun: Nov. 10, 2018 – Jan. 1, 2019
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Northwestern Archery: Sept. 8 – Nov. 2, 2018
Blackpowder: Nov. 3 – Nov. 16, 2018
Gun: Nov. 17, 2018 – Jan. 1, 2019
Western Archery: Sept. 8 – Sept. 30, 2018;
Oct. 14 – Nov. 18;
Dec. 9 – January 1, 2019 (antlered deer only)
Blackpowder: Oct. 1 – Oct. 13, 2018
Gun: Nov. 19, 2018 – Dec. 8, 2018
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
You can hunt with any equipment that's open for the duration of the season. In other words, do like a lot of us do and hunt archery from September tell January, and then you can do urban archery after that.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It's actually shorter than it appears, because I have been sitting in a tree countless times with a bow during archery season and heard obvious gunshots that killed deer. In the Eastern region it used to be a dedicated 4 week season with one week of blackpowder, but years ago one week was stolen from archery to give to blackpowder, creating only a 3 week dedicated season of archery. Shoot, I don't see a need to hunt with a gun in the Eastern season because I would limit out on bucks before gun season ever came in. I really wouldn't care to hunt for just one or two does from October to New Years........

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
In western part of the state in some counties archery only season is longest season

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
Archery equipment can be used the entire season, also. But during any gun season for deer, orange must be worn even if hunting with archery gear.

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
It's actually shorter than it appears, because I have been sitting in a tree countless times with a bow during archery season and heard obvious gunshots that killed deer. In the Eastern region it used to be a dedicated 4 week season with one week of blackpowder, but years ago one week was stolen from archery to give to blackpowder, creating only a 3 week dedicated season of archery. Shoot, I don't see a need to hunt with a gun in the Eastern season because I would limit out on bucks before gun season ever came in. I really wouldn't care to hunt for just one or two does from October to New Years........

Some people don't see a need for you to have a gun, or hunt for that matter. Good thing everyone doesn't get there way.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Archery season runs from opening day to the last day of the season and then opens up again for urban archery.

.... How much longer can archery season get?

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Some people don't see a need for you to have a gun, or hunt for that matter. Good thing everyone doesn't get there way.

Fair enough and good point. But in the end the state isn't really worried about how the deer are killed, just that they satisfy the insurance companies. And more and more, the QDMA crowd.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
A bow hunter can kill a deer no matter what anybody else is using just so long as he plays the wind.

berryman26

Six Pointer
Archery season runs from opening day to the last day of the season and then opens up again for urban archery.

.... How much longer can archery season get?

Then what does this mean? Is this for either sex?

berryman26

Six Pointer
Short archery, looonnnngggg firearm seasons.

You realize you contradict what others have posted?

Even here there are mixed replies, some say short archery season, some say you can hunt till January.
Or do the dates mean ARCHERY ONLY... why can't this be clarified on the WEBSITE.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Where I'm from we got 2 months Archery only, but if you picked archery, that's the only season you could hunt. You also got 1 deer tag, buck or doe, hard to get private land and many public had APR's. I'd much rather have 4 months, as many deer as I want and lots of private land opportunities.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Where I'm from we got 2 months Archery only, but if you picked archery, that's the only season you could hunt. You also got 1 deer tag, buck or doe, hard to get private land and many public had APR's. I'd much rather have 4 months, as many deer as I want and lots of private land opportunities.

Washington state? That's how it was there the six years I was stationed there

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Then what does this mean? Is this for either sex?

Once a weapon becomes legal during the season, it is legal for the rest of the season.

So ...

Southeastern Archery: Sept. 8 – Sept. 28, 2018 .... only archery equipment is legal
Blackpowder: Sept. 29 – Oct. 12, 2018 ................. only archery and BP equipment are legal
Gun: Oct. 13, 2018 – Jan. 1, 2019 ....................... archery, BP, and modern firearms are all legal

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Washington state? That's how it was there the six years I was stationed there

Yes sir, and archery was the only season your general tag allowed you to shoot a doe in place of that buck, for blackpowder or rifle you could only shoot a buck, unless you put in and were drawn for a doe.

We should be thankful here. I was doing spot and stalk, bowhunting logged clearcuts on public ground for blacktail.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yes sir, and archery was the only season your general tag allowed you to shoot a doe in place of that buck, for blackpowder or rifle you could only shoot a buck, unless you put in and were drawn for a doe.

We should be thankful here. I was doing spot and stalk, bowhunting logged clearcuts on public ground for blacktail.

I loved the time I was stationed there, but public land bowhunting for blacktails is NOT for the faint of heart or folks with no patience!!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It doesn't state that in the regs. yes it is that hard to understand which is why I posted. Jesus.

yes it does, read page 47 VERY CAREFULLY,,reading is fundamental

Gun. During the gun season the following are legal weapons: bows and arrows, crossbows (both described on page 42), blackpowder firearms, shotguns, rifles, and handguns. Hunters may use dogs to hunt deer during this season in counties indicated on the map on page 54, and to retrieve a wounded deer. See page 43 for details.

and what does Jesus have to do with it?

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
If you find a gameland that is archery only, buck or doe can be taken all year, regardless if the remaining gun season is buck only. Uwharrie GL is an example.

Posted Zones on Game Lands
l Safety Zone – unlawful to hunt or discharge a weapon. Falconry
is allowed.
l Restricted Zone – no entry without a permit.
l Temporary Restricted Zone – no entry without a permit.
l Archery Zone – bow-and-arrow hunting and falconry only. On
such areas, deer of either sex may be taken on all open days of
any applicable open deer season.
Hunting with dogs prohibited.
l Restricted Firearms Zones – unlawful to hunt with a centerfire rifle.
l Scouting-only Zone – unlawful to discharge firearms or
bow and arrow.
l Restricted Deer Hunting Zone – use of dogs for taking deer
prohibited without a permit.
l Day use only Zone – all public use prohibited between sunset
and sunrise.

Page 67 of the 2017-18 Reg book. Gameland section.

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
yes it does, read page 47 VERY CAREFULLY,,reading is fundamental

Gun. During the gun season the following are legal weapons: bows and arrows, crossbows (both described on page 42), blackpowder firearms, shotguns, rifles, and handguns. Hunters may use dogs to hunt deer during this season in counties indicated on the map on page 54, and to retrieve a wounded deer. See page 43 for details.

and what does Jesus have to do with it?
That's Hay Soose, Woodmoose.

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I don't understand why everyone gets their undershorts in a wad every time someone asks this question. The answer is YES. In the area the OP is asking about, the ARCHERY ONLY season is short. And yes I know you can hunt with archery equipment all season long, and I have no problem with any part of the current regs. He was just asking a simple question. No need in complicating it. No wonder the poor guy is confused.