How fast?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Anout 145 mph with only a parachute on my back

cars? So in 1986 i went through a training course on “offensive driving” conducted by Billy Scott racing (billy died in 2009)

we had vehicles we called “phase 2 cars” - basically NASCAR type vehicles with three seats

you wouldn’t believe me onhow fast we’d run those cars down Manchester and king roads on the north side of Bragg to get to a training site,,,,

it was fun

and no one died

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

cars? So in 1986 i went through a training course on “offensive driving” conducted by Billy Scott racing (billy died in 2009)

we had vehicles we called “phase 2 cars” - basically NASCAR type vehicles with three seats

you wouldn’t believe me onhow fast we’d run those cars down Manchester and king roads on the north side of Bragg to get to a training site,,,,

it was fun

and no one died
60 down plank road on those 60-70's PowerWagons the GW/MPs had was a wild ride, especially blackout after a rain and you didn't know if there was a washout or not.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
60 down plank road on those 60-70's PowerWagons the GW/MPs had was a wild ride, especially blackout after a rain and you didn't know if there was a washout or not.
My top speed of 85 in my old ranger was actually on plank road haha… I got pissed everyone was tailgating and passing me dangerously so I maxed er out and one guy still went around me….

I love just about everything NC but I will pass on Bragg/ Fayetteville driving

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I’ve hit the speed limiter on a Porsche 928 GTS before, which I think was supposed to be 171mph. That was about the most balanced car I’ve ever sat my butt in and there’s no way I could keep a license if I had the money to own one.

PG2

Ten Pointer
112 in my Mustang Cobra on a straight country road.. Not driving with a friend he got his brand new Chevy Cavalier up to 100 on the highway and man was it shaking...

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
12O+ Toyota Tundra and still picking up.

75 on the water, that V was chine walking didn't like that feeling at all. Plus the lake was not big enough.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
However fast a modestly modified 2007 gsxr 600 will carry a recently returned ied hunter. I was tucked and couldn't tell you. I can say that there's a point when it stops becoming "fast" and just feels like you're floating.

I got my real kicks in the curves though. Been a couple times I'd swear my knees were grazing the pavement. Chicken strips were no wider than a standard framing nail.

it was fun

and no one died

Best friend has similar stories... yals community(branch-indiscriminate) gets some wild training, and I'm not just talking guns. The knowledge and experience you walk away with is more than several men in several lifetimes. It's incredible.

Johnnie

Ten Pointer

it was fun

and no one died
I had my 86 and a half Nissan 4wd bouncing off the sides of the dirt "bumpers" I'll call them, at 70mph on Morganton between Manchester and Holland DZ. My hunting buddy didn't like that at all.

On the water, pushing 70 on a Jet Ski, and that is some scary crap

I pushed my step dad's 74 Thunderbird with a 460 to 120mph with the cruise control "+" button.

Other than that, I've been pretty calm.

Johnnie

C52

Eight Pointer
153 in a corvette, 145 on a Honda cbr 900 and around 100 on a 379 Peterbilt. Fastest I’ve been in a long long time is around 90 riding with the traffic.

6mm250

Eight Pointer
120+ in a 1965 Chrysler Newport wherabouts unknown
The speedometer only went to 120 & it nudged just past that so 122 maybe. It might have had a little more , or maybe not. I'll never know , I had to back out of it.

Mike

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
120+ in a 1965 Chrysler Newport wherabouts unknown
The speedometer only went to 120 & it nudged just past that so 122 maybe. It might have had a little more , or maybe not. I'll never know , I had to back out of it.

Mike
There’s nothing quite like a luxury couch bolted down to a 2 barrel 383 and automatic. I love those old Newport’s

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
136 in my 1966 Mustang fastback. Might have had more but it was floating pretty bad and the surface of that Kansas two lane was starting to look like the narrow edge of a 1x4 so I shut it down.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Piggybacking off the BMW thread, how fast y’all been? Only stipulation is that you had to have been behind the wheel/bars/controls…

(closed circuit of course🙄)

Personally, I’m not sure. But the speedo was on the peg at 160 and had been before I ran out of roa…errr track😂

fastest I’m certain of was 133 in one of those Smokey and the Bandit Trans Ams. I only remember because it had a digital speedometer.

I’m certain I’ve been faster in things that didn’t have speedos or speedos that went over 120.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Little over 100mph on the water in a drag boat......never again!!

Its worse when you’re riding. Had a girl”friend” whose dad had a stupid fast small boat. I would ride with him in that thing and my butt would be clenched tighter than a rusty headbolt

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
One I remember vivdly is 136 sitting bitch on a Kawasaki 1300.... The driver was a HP trooper but he wasn't on duty at the time. This was on a small two lane road that was poorly maintained.
That wasn't my first ride with him, but it was my last on that bike.

pickle

Eight Pointer
Car and pickup around 120 or so. Crotch rocket 135 on a 2 lane rd. Snowmobile 75 mph on a frozen lake. Wicked fast had a buddy who's machine would do a 100 I said no thanks. She starts duck walking about 65

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
531 mph on a 737 inbound for Vegas. On Land, 145 wish in my old 1983 BMW 533i between Tarboro and Whittakers. I am lucky for myself and the local farmers that no tractors were on the roads that day.

poppy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
95 mph in my first car. 1965 chevy belair 4 door with 283 engine. That was all she would do.
Life got in the way and I could never afford a fast car in my younger years.