Don't Forget!!! What's some of the things you do before opening day?

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Other than finding birds...

Silicone spray on my boots, turkey vest pockets, and rain gear.
Plug out of shotgun, and a lil lube on the bolt and a shakeout from smallgame season.
Shoot shotgun if changing load...
Pack dry vittles, toilet paper, and extra shells in their appropriate places.
Rasp up my slate, and cut extra toothpick pieces for my diaphragms.
Make sure I've got both pairs of gloves, and both gaiters/masks.

Anything else?

I know yall down east will say spray pemethrin, but I live in the mountains cause I hate heat, snakes, and bugs that bite me.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Other than finding birds...

Silicone spray on my boots, turkey vest pockets, and rain gear.
Plug out of shotgun, and a lil lube on the bolt and a shakeout from smallgame season.
Shoot shotgun if changing load...
Pack dry vittles, toilet paper, and extra shells in their appropriate places.
Rasp up my slate, and cut extra toothpick pieces for my diaphragms.
Make sure I've got both pairs of gloves, and both gaiters/masks.

Anything else?

I know yall down east will say spray pemethrin, but I live in the mountains cause I hate heat, snakes, and bugs that bite me.
Forgot.

Blow up your decoys so they don't have that funny crease in the middle....

np307

Ten Pointer
Double check that the right choke is in. Make sure all non-turkey rounds are packed away somewhere (this is a new one after ejecting a dove load last year when I got back to the car). Spray down clothes with permethrin. Check my snack stock. Treat my boots. Check my first aid kit. Charge up any electronics. Hide all deer waypoints on OnX.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I'll repeat to spray everything and maybe do some extra this year. With everything sprayed I still got a tick bite on my ankle in TN this week.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All I'll say is, they probably don't call it Rocky MOUNTAIN Spotted Fever for nothing.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Break in a new mouth call. Chalk box call . Get all my gear in the truck . Reset the alarm clock and coffee maker . Make love to the wife ,It may be a little while . Heck I better make a list.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
80+ degrees and rain? I’ll just pretend I’m in the jungle and get wet - gonna sweat in a rain coat anyhow, may as well enjoy the coolness of the rain
That warm weather is tough I sweat like crazy in rain coat. be 65 for high where I'll be on Sat and thats high as I want it for turkey season gonna be in 30s for lows next week if it could only stay that way all year I'd be happy

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the head's up. I just broke out the GoreTex and will likely hunt with my trusty single shot.. I don't love hunting in rain, but I'd hate to miss Opening Day worse.

Jim
I'm with you rain isn't my favorite but I'll take it over strong wind any day. Also I like rain on opening day there will be fair amt people that will roll back over and go sleep sat morning calling for lot rain in mtns so keeps pressure low

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Back in the not so distant past the night before opener was for getting hammered in a rural dive with tarp room strippers.

My how times have changed, turkey hunting’s been more fun not hungover.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Tell myself I’m young and can go without sleep... and it’s only $, after all I’m going to spend too much as usual

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I do pretty much what everyone else has said except I don't mess around with Georgeeebucks's wife 😉
One thing not mentioned is check thermacell and make sure I got supplies to run that thing all season.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Based on my luck last 12 months I need a big arse horseshoe and rabbits foot. I figure I'll fall in freezing cold creek bout 0330 Sat morning then realize I forgot my shells at camp😀

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor

My mountain tick experience this year: Had a large tick crawling up my arm in FEB after shed hunting. Had a few smaller ones on me that I got off in early MAR. I didn't have those clothes treated because it had been so cold at night...bad move on my part.